• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What's your favorite faith-based screenplay?

Discussion in 'Scripts/ Screenplays' started by maintenance man, Oct 3, 2018.

1. maintenance man

maintenance man Well-Known Member Supporter

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I've watched a lot of faith-based movies and I still have not found one that honestly has an exceptional screenplay. My favorite to date would be "Risen" where a Roman Tribune in Judea is tasked to find the missing body of Jesus Christ who rose from the dead. I thought it was a great new approach to the telling of a Biblical story. I also liked, "The Case for Christ" although the screenplay had a few flaws - for the most part it was a great job adapting a book that was not easy to turn into a movie.

I'm very interested in hearing what your favorite faith-based screenplays are.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. mukk_in

mukk_in Yankees fan Supporter

+3,198
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    Kinda old, but here are my favorites: (1) The Greatest story ever told (2) The Passion of Christ (Mel Gibson's). The 1979 "Jesus" movie was pretty good, too. Peace in Christ :).

3. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,311
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Silence (2016) or The Mission (1986).

4. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The Passion of Christ is a fantastic film but hard to watch - very emotional - it's so real! I never saw the Jesus film. The Greatest Story Ever Told is from 1965 - that is old! I can't remember if I've seen it or not.

5. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I forgot about The Mission - I saw that in the theater when it came out. I'll need to take another look. Silence is one I passed on because it looked too dark and depressing. Maybe I should give it a try.

6. FireDragon76

+9,311
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    It is a dark film but I appreciate its depth and realism. What's depressing is that many Christians in the US understood it on only the most superficial level and dismissed it as a result.

7. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm plan to take a look. What is the deeper message others are missing?

8. FireDragon76

+9,311
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    They didn't understand that the protagonist was never meant to be a hero. This film is not a hagiography, and it's sort of the opposite of "prosperity theology". It's a meditation on God's presence in a horrible situation.

As a Lutheran it really resonates with me, and people from the Lutheran or Reformed tradition probably stand the best chance of getting what this film is really about. It also appealed to me because just like Shusaku Endo, the author of the novel it was based on, I am a bit of an uneasy convert that in many ways is more like a spiritual orphan, and this film is really exploring who Christ is for people who are "on the margins".

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's a very interesting perspective! Thanks for sharing that. Now I can't wait to see the film.

10. icxn

icxn Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα

+654
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The Island. It's a story about a Saintly Fool for Christ.

11. FireDragon76

+9,311
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    It's ironic because Scorsese's first Christian film, Last Temptation of Christ, was almost Pelagian in its focus, since Nikos Kazantaki's work was criticized for humanizing Christ in order to inspire Christ as a kind of exemplar of overcoming the flesh. Whereas in Silence, the Christology is unquestionably orthodox. And this film is anti-Pelagian, almost Augustinian, in its emphasis (obedience to religion ultimately exposes human pride and weakness), unlike Last Temptation.

12. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, I think Last Temptation is probably a big reason why I did not go see Silence.

13. maintenance man

+960
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That looks interesting. I have a hard time with subtitles though.

"After the filming, one of the movie crew staff decided to stay on the island and live there as a hermit."

That line makes me even more interested.