3. One Piece
4. My Hero Academia
5. Fate/Stay series
6. Haikyuu!
7. Gurren Lagann
8. The Rising of the Shield Hero
9. DanMachi
10. Pokemon

It was so hard to make this list since I watch alot of seasonal anime as well @~@

My daughter started watching Haikuu! when I saw it I laughed that she was watching a derpy volleyball cartoon.

I'm now completely hooked and have started watching it on my own ^_^... and I'm a 49 year old man, how embarrassing... Go Karasuno!

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one mentioned:

My first anime was known in English as Ronin Warriors. Some dudes get powers to fight evil. Cool armors. Has a special place in my heart though I was so young I hardly remember it.

Outlaw Star, I have childhood nostalgic bias with this one, mercenary guy with Starship and cool guns.

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes was also pretty good, it's sword & sorcery.

Blue gender was good, it's kind of like Starship Troopers I guess.

Bleach. Fighting show with lots of cool characters. No one mentioned this why? ;/

Chaos;head. Don't know exactly how to classify this one, little bit of psionics I guess.

Ruroni Kenshin. Samurai who doesn't want to kill anymore so has a weird katana where the sharp edge is on the back.

Forgot if anyone mentioned Future Diary/ mirai nikki? There is a contest to see who will be the next God, it made yandere famous. I liked it, was kind of like a love story.

Can't think of anymore really good ones that were not already mentioned such as Death Note, Dragon Ball super (and all the rest of them), Yu Yu Hakusho, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Wing, Overlord, re: zero, the magical girls series that went dark after a few episodes (puella magi madoka magica)... I forget the English name, Inuyasha, ummmm.... Sao?,...

I don't think anyone mentioned Cowboy Bebop but it's decent as is Big O. Pokemon and various Digimon.

I have to mention konosuba. It's probably too perverted for many Christians, but it's the funniest anime I've ever seen. I like the art style. The show starts off mimicking something having to do with Yu Yu Hakusho. Konosuba is an isekai and a sword and sorcery. I suppose I would still pick konosuba for number one just because of how funny it is. It's worth watching If you can stand a little bit of partial nudity... The one flaw is that they felt the need to keep showing off Aquas butt. If they ever make an English dub for it I doubt it could ever compare to the sub.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
My first anime was known in English as Ronin Warriors. Some dudes get powers to fight evil. Cool armors. Has a special place in my heart though I was so young I hardly remember it.

I remember seeing the commercials for it on Toonami, never got home early enough to watch it, though I certainly saw a lot of things I might've never seen otherwise, like SD Gundam or Code Lyoko

Blue gender was good, it's kind of like Starship Troopers I guess.

Bleach. Fighting show with lots of cool characters. No one mentioned this why? ;/

I love the manga, I never really got back into it when the fillers started, mostly because I didn't have the free time I sort of have nowadays, though even if I rewatched the entire series, it'd be pretty tough, though I feel like the upcoming continuation in 2021 with the final arc may reference filler arcs even if it doesn't have any (manga's been done for...3+ years now?)

Ruroni Kenshin. Samurai who doesn't want to kill anymore so has a weird katana where the sharp edge is on the back.

It's supposedly very impractical for the swordsmanship he does, since the edge being where it is creates drag or such on the battoujutsu techniques versus a regular blade, which was used by his master

I have to mention konosuba. It's probably too perverted for many Christians, but it's the funniest anime I've ever seen. I like the art style. The show starts off mimicking something having to do with Yu Yu Hakusho. Konosuba is an isekai and a sword and sorcery. I suppose I would still pick konosuba for number one just because of how funny it is. It's worth watching If you can stand a little bit of partial nudity... The one flaw is that they felt the need to keep showing off Aquas butt. If they ever make an English dub for it I doubt it could ever compare to the sub.

YYH might've started that, but I have to wonder if it really began with that in terms of the trope, manga's been around a while.

Aqua's butt wasn't really what I recall so much as Darkness' masochism or Aqua's tendency to get drunk and barf, but I still haven't seen the special/movie, along with other stuff for series like Youjo Senki, Goblin Slayer or Seven Deadly Sins

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Darkness' masochism
I didn't mind that because I have played several tank characters in WoW so i kind of see her as the tank character which by their nature has to take lots of damage.

I really like how some of these animes are being inspired by Dungeons & Dragons and mmos. I heard that the guy who made re: zero and the guy that made konosuba have played D&D together.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I didn't mind that because I have played several tank characters in WoW so i kind of see her as the tank character which by their nature has to take lots of damage.

I really like how some of these animes are being inspired by Dungeons & Dragons and mmos. I heard that the guy who made re: zero and the guy that made konosuba have played D&D together.
It was an amusing aspect that stuck with me in her tank character role and also being incompetent at her role in a way, similar to Megumin's glass cannon approach

I still need to rewatch all of Lodoss War, I have the boxset, that series is pretty accepted to have been based on a legit D&D campaign and it makes sense

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In no particular order,
Kino's Journey The Beautiful World 2017
Hello World (single episode) 2019
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (single episode) 2018
Mushishi 2005
The Promised Neverland 2019
Run With The Wind 2018
Made in Abyss 2017
The Mystic Archives of Dantalian 2011
I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense 2020
Death Note 2006 had an interesting premise, can't say I was happy with the ending though.

Yes I watched a lot of anime :'P

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My wife really likes anime and through her I've been exposed to some of it. But, I really wonder about watching anime. I got onto the CrunchyRoll website and surfed around a bit and was kinda' shocked by the sort of stuff that I encountered. So much of the anime was...dark, I mean REALLY dark: demons, occult stuff, hyper-violence and gore, pedophilia (sexualized children), soft inappropriate content, homosexuality, and tons of what my wife called "fan service." I know there are some anime series that are free of this stuff - my wife watches them - but how do Christians make a diet of mainstream anime and remain free of its evil stain? It seems that to watch almost any anime, a disciple of Jesus has to compromise with evil. How do you love and honor God while doing this? How can you watch stuff about demons, and perverted sex, and super-violent events and still think God, who is holy and righteous, who hates sin and darkness, is pleased?

Ephesians 5:3-12
3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
7 Therefore do not be partakers with them;
8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light
9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth),
10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.
11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them;
12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18
14 ...what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?
16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
17 "Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE," says the Lord. "AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN; And I will welcome you.
18 "And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me," Says the Lord Almighty.

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

There are a few clean anime out there. Here are some my wife has found:

Haikyu.
Tonari no Seki Kun (My Neighbor Seki).
Yotsuba (which is a manga title, not anime)
Baby Steps.
Your Lie In April.
Some of the Ghibli movies.

Do you all know of other anime free of the demonic, sexual, violent, nihilistic themes typical of so much anime?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟242,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Do you all know of other anime free of the demonic, sexual, violent, nihilistic themes typical of so much anime?

Azumanga Daioh
Cardcaptor Sakura (available on Funimation and Crunchyroll)
After School Dice Club (available on Funimation)
Cells At Work! (available on Funimation and Crunchyroll) (can be violent, but it's educational)

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vinter

Jul 17, 2021
Copenhagen
✟55,202.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My wife really likes anime and through her I've been exposed to some of it. But, I really wonder about watching anime. I got onto the CrunchyRoll website and surfed around a bit and was kinda' shocked by the sort of stuff that I encountered. So much of the anime was...dark, I mean REALLY dark: demons, occult stuff, hyper-violence and gore, pedophilia (sexualized children), soft inappropriate content, homosexuality, and tons of what my wife called "fan service." I know there are some anime series that are free of this stuff - my wife watches them - but how do Christians make a diet of mainstream anime and remain free of its evil stain? It seems that to watch almost any anime, a disciple of Jesus has to compromise with evil. How do you love and honor God while doing this? How can you watch stuff about demons, and perverted sex, and super-violent events and still think God, who is holy and righteous, who hates sin and darkness, is pleased?

3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light
9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth),
11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them;
12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret.

14 ...what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?
16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
17 "Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE," says the Lord. "AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN; And I will welcome you.
18 "And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me," Says the Lord Almighty.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

There are a few clean anime out there. Here are some my wife has found:

Haikyu.
Tonari no Seki Kun (My Neighbor Seki).
Yotsuba (which is a manga title, not anime)
Baby Steps.
Your Lie In April.
Some of the Ghibli movies.

Anthem Of The Heart
A Silent Voice
Fireworks

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟20,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last I wrote it was 2018. And now RWBY is kinda off the list. Still love season 1 and 2, though. My new favorites are:

Restaurant to Another World: One of my first, always a favorite. So soothing and visually beautiful! And I love Aletta.

Squid Girl: Ika-chan, a.k.a the titular Squid Girl, is here to take over the world! But she ends up working at a beach restaurant, being adopted into a human family, and basically being hilarious and freaking adorable. Also, for some unknown reaosn, she kinda reminds me of Gawr Gura. a.

Welcome to Demon-school, Iruma-kun! I love each and every character in this show, especially Ameri and Clara. Ameri looks like the stereotypical sexy kickbutt, but actually turns out to be freakin' adorable, and Clara... well, let's just say that you might have to explain to people that no, she isn't on crack, she just normally acts this way.

Gabriel Dropout! Gab is cute, Raphi is cute, Vigne is a perfect cinnamon roll, but one of my favorite anime characters of all time is Satania. ALL HAIL SATANICHIA KURUMIZAWA MCDOWELL!!! GIVE HER ALL YOUR MELON BREAD!!!

Monster Girl Doctor Approach with caution, fanservice abounds. That said, while I don't care for the fanservice, the characters and the premise are all wonderful, and the world is very intriguing. Plus, it's nice to have a protagonist who approaches... um... "questionable" situations with a professional demeanor, instead of freaking out or acting like Kazuma. And speaking of Kazuma....

Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! God's blessing, indeed. Another one not for the easily offended, but absolutely hilarious!

Pretty Cure Tropical Rouge I like cute things. Sue me.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive A very chill, very cute adventure. Think Konosuba, but nobody is a jerk or insane.

My Hero Academia I'm so basic. :(

Drug Store in Another World Noela is the cutest thing ever and I am gonna die of squee! Also Mina is super cute, too.

Interviews with Monster Girls Incredibly wholesome without being overly preachy. Also has the only time I've ever seen an anime succubus who was really respectable.

Amagi Brilliant Park Guy tries to save knock-off Disneyland park from closing. Also all the characters are real and are from a magical fairyland. Oh, and visitors getting punched. Good show.

Kemono Friends Adorable and informative about animals.

Cells at Work! Informative about human cellular biology. Also, great characters, and platelets are too cute! Oh, and I want a red blood cell hat.

There are probably more. I won't bore you any longer.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lotta people hated this, but I loved it - it amazing tribute and touched on all kinds of quantum philosophies and techno stuff. And of course, I am a big G fan

Knights of Sidonia was simply amazing, some of the best climaxes or season finales I'd ever seen

Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟33,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
It seems that to watch almost any anime, a disciple of Jesus has to compromise with evil. How do you love and honor God while doing this? How can you watch stuff about demons, and perverted sex, and super-violent events and still think God, who is holy and righteous, who hates sin and darkness, is pleased?

How about this?

1 Corinthians 10:31

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all
to the glory of God.

As for anime that are appropriate or have goodness in them. Opinions from different people are going to vary. I'll try to think of some shows and get back on this.

Upvote 0