✟19,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Douggg said:
For me, I try to understand the prophecies to put them all together into a start to finish scenario where everything fits together. That's the objective for me. Doug

My answer : I really feel compelled by the Holy Spirit to witness to others by the means of prophecy. That's one of the measures that God has used for me personally to come to a saving faith in my lord Jesus Christ. Prophecy is a huge witnessing tool that proves that God has come in the flesh. The Old Testament ,book of Isaiah chapter 53 for one example has all these important prophecies about Jesus being the one and only Messiah.

There are many eschatology viewpoints. It is my opinion that we should respect others views, however if someone is not in line with what the scriptures teach, we should in a loving way guide them to truth. Another point: no one has all the answers when it comes to prophecy, although if God says that it is true, it must be true. I believe that some of the prophecies and the timing of them, we will not know them until we see Him face to face. We all need to realize that important truth.

If all the old testament prophecies have come through with Jesus 's 1 st coming. Of course , they will come through for His 2 nd coming. That's why if is all so fascinating to me because it will all come to pass soon. I believe that we are living in those exciting times today. Even so, come lord Jesus !!

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would be more interested in futurism if only it showed some awareness of passages that organize the Bible themselves already. Most of the time, I don't think these people know that these passages exist or what they mean. That makes it very hard to be interested in their objective.

We should caution ourselves about just 'knowing all prophecy' (I Cor 13). That's shouldn't be the objective. It should be outreach of the message of justification from sins. It should be what Rom 16 says God has decreed for OT passages: to illuminate the Gospel so that the nations can obey and believe.

Upvote 0

coraline

Apr 22, 2013
Florida
✟1,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For me, I try to understand the prophecies to put them all together into a start to finish scenario where everything fits together. That's the objective for me.

Doug

For me,to get to an objective in Eschatolgy- one must be "objective" when they study it. But if one makes prophecies fit into their preconceived notions only, learning the truth of what the Bible teaches will be limited.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For me,to get to an objective in Eschatolgy- one must be "objective" when they study it. But if one makes prophecies fit into their preconceived notions only, learning the truth of what the Bible teaches will be limited.
Hi coraline,

Having said that, what's your eschatology objective? The title to the thread, a question, there is not a right or wrong answer :).

Doug

Upvote 0

swainkas

Swainson, author of Heresy
Nov 20, 2013
Houston
Visit site
✟50,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My objective is to interpret all scripture in light of the words and deeds of Jesus Christ. This approach changes the way scripture is interpreted. When assuming that Christ alone spoke with all authority, all other scriptures fall nicely into place. The problem for today's church is that Christ's view of the end times is significantly different from the prevailing winds of today's interpretations.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

Interplanner said in post 4:

We should caution ourselves about just 'knowing all prophecy' (I Cor 13). That's shouldn't be the objective. It should be outreach of the message of justification from sins. It should be what Rom 16 says God has decreed for OT passages: to illuminate the Gospel so that the nations can obey and believe.

Amen (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

But the gospel, in its widest sense, includes much more. That is why the first 4 books of the New Testament are called "the Gospels", and why the Gospel of Mark can claim that the gospel begins with Mark 1:1. And so the gospel can include everything in the Gospels, including their eschatological teachings (e.g. Mark 13). And if the gospel can include the New Testament's eschatological teachings, then it can include the book of Revelation, and all of Paul's eschatological and soteriological teachings, which he rightly claims are based on Old Testament prophecies (Acts 26:22-23). This is why Christians hold to the entire Bible as being vital to Christian faith (2 Timothy 3:15 to 4:4, John 8:31b, Matthew 4:4).

Also, Christians shouldn't neglect eschatology as if it were unimportant with regard to soteriology, because the main reason that the Bible gives clear warning ahead of time about everything that Christians alive at the time of the tribulation will have to face (Mark 13:23, Revelation chapters 6 to 18, Revelation 1:1, Revelation 22:16), before Jesus returns immediately after the tribulation (Matthew 24:29-31, Revelation 19:7 to 20:6), is so that Christians can be better prepared mentally not to be blindsided (1 Peter 4:12-13) or deceived by anything that is coming (Matthew 24:4-5,23-25, Revelation 13:13-18, Revelation 19:20), and so that they can be better prepared mentally to endure the future tribulation with patience and faith to the end (Matthew 24:9-13, Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4-6), and not commit apostasy during the tribulation (Isaiah 8:21-22, Matthew 24:9-13, Matthew 13:21), to the ultimate loss of their salvation (Hebrews 6:4-8, John 15:6; 2 Timothy 2:12).

--

Preterism (whether full or partial), as well as historicism (in its various modern forms), and pre-tribulation rapturism, symbolicism, and spiritualism, could all be animated by the same spirit of fear: that the church alive today throughout the world would otherwise have to physically suffer through the future, almost-entirely literal, worldwide tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24. For these 5 views of preterism, historicism, pre-tribulation rapturism, symbolicism, and spiritualism, in their different ways, each gives a mistaken assurance to the church alive today that it won't have to physically suffer through that tribulation.

Preterism says that the tribulation happened in 70 AD. Historicism says that it happened over a long period in history (e.g. during the rise and height of the RCC's power in Europe during the Middle Ages and after, or during the rise and spread of Islam in the Middle East and elsewhere during the Middle Ages and after). Pre-tribulation rapturism says that Jesus will return and rapture the church into the 3rd heaven before the tribulation begins. Symbolicism says that the tribulation is only symbolic of theological themes which those in the church have always had to struggle with (e.g. Matthew 6:24), or is symbolic of only-local physical persecutions which some in the church have always had to face, and are still facing today in some places. And spiritualism says that the tribulation is only spiritual events, which go on only within the hearts of individuals.

But when the almost-entirely literal, worldwide tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18 and Matthew 24 begins in our future, the shaky doctrinal wall which (in their different ways) these 5 views have each tried to build up between the church and the tribulation, will be completely shattered (Ezekiel 13:10-12) as the church worldwide begins to physically suffer through the tribulation (Matthew 24:9-31, Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4-6). These 5 views may have left some in the church unprepared mentally to undergo this physical suffering, to where these 5 views could even contribute to some in the church ultimately losing their salvation because of committing apostasy (Hebrews 6:4-8, John 15:6; 2 Timothy 2:12) during the tribulation, when they become "offended" that God is making them and their little ones physically suffer through it (Matthew 24:9-12, Matthew 13:21, Isaiah 8:21-22, Luke 8:13).

Even though the church today throughout the world will have to physically suffer through the tribulation, the church need not fear this (cf. 1 Peter 4:12-13, Revelation 2:10). For even though many in the church will suffer and die during that time (Revelation 13:7-10, Revelation 14:12-13, Revelation 20:4-6, Matthew 24:9-13), this will be to their gain, as it will bring their souls into heaven to be with Jesus (Philippians 1:21,23; 2 Corinthians 5:8; see also 2 Corinthians 4:17-18; 2 Timothy 2:12), and it won't rob them of the blessed hope (Titus 2:13) of obtaining eternal life (Titus 1:2, Titus 3:7) in an immortal, physical resurrection body (Romans 8:23-25, Philippians 3:21, Luke 24:39) at Jesus' 2nd coming (1 Corinthians 15:21-23,51-53; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-16, Revelation 19:7 to 20:6), which will occur immediately after the tribulation (Matthew 24:29-31, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8, Revelation 19:7 to 20:6).

Upvote 0

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me, I try to understand the prophecies to put them all together into a start to finish scenario where everything fits together. That's the objective for me.

Doug

That's how I'm doing my research. Once I'm done, my readers will be able to make their own judgements after reading. My research will take all prophecy that relates to the days we live in and see how they fit with the different theories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My objective in studying Bible prophecy is exactly the same as my objective in studying the rest of scripture. That is, first to understand what God was really saying in the place I am studying at the moment, and then to understand how that relates to everything else He said about the same subject elsewhere in the scriptures.

In attempting to realize these two goals, I keep in mind that the scriptures, as originally given by God, are exceedingly precise in everything they say. Everything was said for a particular purpose, and every word is there for a reason. Further, any concept or even any word, that is omitted in a place that I would have included it, was omitted for a reason, and the only reason I would have included it is that I did not really understand what God was saying at that point. So if it seems to me that something else should have been said in a particular passage, I realize I do not really understand what God was saying at that point. So I know I have to study that passage more deeply.

And in attempting to realize these two goals, I keep in mind that my interpretation of what God meant is not what God said. So I remember that my interpretations of what a passage means cannot be correct if that interpretation contradicts anything that God said in any other part of the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So long as God's decree is in mind. That term 'kat' epitagmen' is a "royal decree" or "ordinance." We must put our thoughts aside and make sure the decree is going forward in God's mission. Futurism constantly appeals to and ingratiates the human mind--or "minds" since there are so many "experts" so quickly (some of them have been Christians for a whopping 1 year!). That's like Jn 5:39.

Upvote 0

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Echolipse,
how will you demonstrate that they have to do with the days we live in? Take Is 66:4 for example. Your starting premise needs to be supported, not pursued.

Ok, maybe I should have worded that a bit better. My goal is to take all the prophecy related to eschatology and put the scriptures up against or with others that either go with or "conflict" with. While doing this, I plan on providing the theories of which go for or against such things.

That way the readers will have the best knowledge at hand to come up with their own theories. I will do my best not to put any of my opinion in there until the very end when I discus my ending theory and show my support evidence.

Hopefully, that expounds and reitterates my original comment.

Upvote 0

riverrat

Feb 28, 2011
✟17,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, maybe I should have worded that a bit better. My goal is to take all the prophecy related to eschatology and put the scriptures up against or with others that either go with or "conflict" with. While doing this, I plan on providing the theories of which go for or against such things.

That way the readers will have the best knowledge at hand to come up with their own theories. I will do my best not to put any of my opinion in there until the very end when I discus my ending theory and show my support evidence.

Hopefully, that expounds and reitterates my original comment.
There was nothing wrong with your original comment. Unless you are a preterist you will never please interplanner. No need to try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

riverrat

Feb 28, 2011
✟17,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey ner, I have not searched for the questions that you refer to. Were they for me?
Would you really be interested in my answers to any of your questions? Why would you ask a question anyway? You have been studying for 40 yrs. and had the best teachers and you know everything so how could you have any questions?

Upvote 0

coraline

Apr 22, 2013
Florida
✟1,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi coraline,

Having said that, what's your eschatology objective? The title to the thread, a question, there is not a right or wrong answer :).

Doug

Oh, we all know by now I'm in no way a futurist.

And Dougg, I have already reached that goal after being objective & reading ALL the other Eschatological paradigms.

That's the difference. I was not that religiously biased in the first place, as some futurists are.

I have reached my Eschatological goal for 10 years now.

IOWS, the truth of "the end of the age" has set me free for 10 years, so I'm enjoying God's blessings & His tabernacle in my heart through the Spirit...today!

Upvote 0

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟273,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Doug

The "puzzle" aspect holds a fascination, to be sure. But for my part, I just want to know what God "wants" out of me. I don't trust anyone (including myself) or anything. Objectively speaking, the Bible is just an old book. I can't just take it on faith that it "means" anything. That said, I know from personal experience that "reality" is suffused with "morality". I think our dreams are primarily "morality" based/ mental tests of morality. (How often do dreams end with some sort of "reward" or "punishment" that is a non-sequitor to the "dream story" ?- EG food, flying, or dirty toilets or lights or whatever. Fairly often, I'd say.)

Biblically speaking, anything beyond "love your neighbor as yourself and love God with all your heart" and the 10 commandments, is just so much arguing over "how many angels dance on the head of a pin?" Boring, pointless. Many of the propaganda wolves on this board say the same thing in their unrelenting onslaught of annoyance. (What is the motivation of someone who would spend countless hours with 1000's of posts putting forth preterist ideas in an eschatology board?)

But, studying prophecy has shown to me the depth of manipulation that is exerted upon the unsuspecting world. Satan's influence upon the "news" that we read, the people that are s(elected) to our governments, and yes, the people that "interact" with us in our daily lives, makes me appreciate the need to be aware of all the moral traps in my life. We really do live in the Matrix. And even the Matrix movie is part of "The Matrix", the artificial controlled world, we take to be real.

All this awareness leads me to feel like "Young Goodman Brown" Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne Moral search leading to paranoia and distrust.

Ultimately, I would like my studies to cure my paranoia and help me discern who is the real Groucho Marx...

Marx Brothers Mirror Scene - YouTube

Upvote 0

coraline

Apr 22, 2013
Florida
✟1,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
from tranquil,
(What is the motivation of someone who would spend countless hours with 1000's of posts putting forth preterist ideas in an eschatology board?)
Well, I don't have that much free time and full Preterism is even silenced in this general theology section.

But I do think truth matters. That's why I post to disagree with the literalists when I have time.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
She says it for me. The whole craziness going on in the world opens
up oppertunites to share the Hope that resides in me.

My answer : I really feel compelled by the Holy Spirit to witness to others by the means of prophecy. That's one of the measures that God has used for me personally to come to a saving faith in my lord Jesus Christ. Prophecy is a huge witnessing tool that proves that God has come in the flesh. The Old Testament ,book of Isaiah chapter 53 for one example has all these important prophecies about Jesus being the one and only Messiah.

There are many eschatology viewpoints. It is my opinion that we should respect others views, however if someone is not in line with what the scriptures teach, we should in a loving way guide them to truth. Another point: no one has all the answers when it comes to prophecy, although if God says that it is true, it must be true. I believe that some of the prophecies and the timing of them, we will not know them until we see Him face to face. We all need to realize that important truth.

If all the old testament prophecies have come through with Jesus 's 1 st coming. Of course , they will come through for His 2 nd coming. That's why if is all so fascinating to me because it will all come to pass soon. I believe that we are living in those exciting times today. Even so, come lord Jesus !!

Upvote 0