Dec 29, 2004
✟173,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
^I think you'll enjoy Stanford. My husband's cousin went there and only has good things to say about it. Also, don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you're just as smart as your brother, you just have different interests.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Plus I love it. But we shall see! At my college we don't declare majors until our sophomore year and I haven't even begun my freshman year yet, so I have some time to explore and consider.
Right?! I'm only starting my senior year in high school but I love the idea of travelling. Linguistics has always had some sort of appeal to me, I've taken 3 years of French but they won't have AP French 4 available, and at The University of Oklahoma, you are actually required to take linguistics...they offer: Arabic*, Chinese, French, German, Italian*, Japanese, Portugese, Russian, and Spanish. *Arabic and Italian for some odd reason requires more hours..

What's even better is the BBa. in International Business also requires an additional major. Accounting..math..easy. Especially when it just comes to calculations on finances. Of course there is much more to accounting than adding and subtracting totals. But like nurses in the medical field, businesses need accountants to some degree.

I wanna travel. I wanna go see Ireland, Scotland, and parts of Asia, like South Korea, Japan, and parts of China.. but there are only so many places that allow those specific travels.. The Big Four accounting firms are so compounded into being boxed in until you "level up" (oh boy, how long that will take) but they have firms and headquarters as far as Japan and other places like England and Australia... Maybe I should just move to Ireland and start from there and progress and call Ireland my home not Oklahoma, haha.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right?! I'm only starting my senior year in high school but I love the idea of travelling. Linguistics has always had some sort of appeal to me, I've taken 3 years of French but they won't have AP French 4 available, and at The University of Oklahoma, you are actually required to take linguistics...they offer: Arabic*, Chinese, French, German, Italian*, Japanese, Portugese, Russian, and Spanish. *Arabic and Italian for some odd reason requires more hours..

Keep your eyes peeled when you're an undergraduate as there will be many opportunities to travel. Nobody ever regrets traveling when they're a student.

I'm only two courses away from having an ESL endorsement myself. I'm a certified teacher and actually have taught a lot of ESL students (though I'm not finishing the endorsement as I'm making a career change to nursing). All of the courses for the endorsement are linguistics courses. However, while linguistics is a field of study built on languages, the actual language courses themselves aren't termed linguistics classes, at least not in my experience. Linguistics is comparative philology. Typical linguistics topics are things like foundations of language, sociolinguistics, syntax, phonetics and phonology, second language acquisition, applied linguistics, and the structure of modern English; whereas language courses are simply teaching students the languages themselves.

I don't understand how Italian got on that list for requiring more hours. Arabic I get. Japanese requires more hours due to vocabulary. However, even German is more difficult than Italian for native English speakers. Weird.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums