simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course.

They aren't condemning people? Again, take a close look at some of these militant atheists, head on over to YouTube, Reddit, or some militant athiest blog.

Like my first post in this thread, you and I are seen by some as delusional and stupid.

Also, are you implying that atheists have a blank check to do whatever?

Atheists condemn religious bigotry and superstition. Are you comparing this with the type of hate-filled rhetoric that religious ppl come up with (such as death to infidel, gay ppl should die etc.)?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
In other words, you're saying that self-proclaimed Christians waged war for land, thus exposing themselves as greedy, ruthless. What would an atheist think of this, then? That Christians are worse than the worldly ppl they accuse all the while claiming moral superiority?

Depends.

King said something and you believed and followed almost every word he said. Same was true of anyone with power. Still holds true today.

And religion wasn't only used as a rallying cry back then.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Atheists condemn religious bigotry and superstition. Are you comparing this with the type of hate-filled rhetoric that religious ppl come up with (such as death to infidel, gay ppl should die etc.)?

Atheists also condemn religious people in general, with some going as far as claiming people of faith have mental issues.

Are you saying atheists aren't bigoted or hate-filled? Look up some KKK or skinhead higher-ups. I don't think I need to clarify what either group stands for.

Upvote 0

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Atheists also condemn religious people in general, with some going as far as claiming people of faith have mental issues.

Are you saying atheists aren't bigoted or hate-filled? Look up some KKK or skinhead higher-ups. I don't think I need to clarify what either group stands for.

Are they hate filled because of atheism?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Are they hate filled because of atheism?

Anyone can be hate filled. The main thing needed for a militant atheist is to despise something; that being religion/faith and people who abide to them.

Upvote 0

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone can be hate filled. The main thing needed for a militant atheist is to despise something; that being religion/faith and people who abide to them.

My point is, lack of belief isn't going to motivate a guy to commit murder. 'Hey, I don't believe in god or flying spaghetti monster, so let me go out there and kill a few.' Doesn't make sense. But religion can motivate a guy to commit murder. They could rationalize, 'if god could kill in the OT, why can't I?' and so on.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
My point is, lack of belief isn't going to motivate a guy to commit murder. 'Hey, I don't believe in god or flying spaghetti monster, so let me go out there and kill a few.' Doesn't make sense. But religion can motivate a guy to commit murder. They could rationalize, 'if god could kill in the OT, why can't I?' and so on.

Um...I did bring up certain periods where people of faith were persecuted by the secular/atheist crowd. Look at what certain Christian groups and other religious groups have to face in China.

Look at what religious groups have and are experiencing in communist countries.

Upvote 0

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Um...I did bring up certain periods where people of faith were persecuted by the secular/atheist crowd. Look at what certain Christian groups and other religious groups have to face in China.

Look at what religious groups have and are experiencing in communist countries.

You don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (fsm). You hurt ppl. Does that mean you hurt ppl because you don't believe in fsm?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (fsm). You hurt ppl. Does that mean you hurt ppl because you don't believe in fsm?

Guy, look up Calles, the French Revolution, and communism. What was their motivation?

As a matter of fact, tell me what was the basis for the League of Militant Atheists.

Try to explain to me how atheism DID NOT mold these people/groups.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Guy, look up Calles, the French Revolution, and communism. What was their motivation?

As a matter of fact, tell me what was the basis for the League of Militant Atheists.

Try to explain to me how atheism DID NOT mold these people/groups.

Political climate, social issues, and economic conditions. If a poor atheist is hungry and steals food, he steals because he is hungry and not because he is an atheist.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Political climate, social issues, and economic conditions. If a poor atheist is hungry and steals food, he steals because he is hungry and not because he is an atheist.

Except these periods have nothing to do with an atheist starving but rather a hatred towards religion.

Again, explain and clarify how atheism DID NOT mold some of these people. What was the basis for oppressing religious folk of any standing?

As a proud Polack, you tell me why my people had to hide their faith for over 40 years whilst being a puppet for the Soviets.

Upvote 0

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Except these periods have nothing to do with an atheist starving but rather a hatred towards religion.

Again, explain and clarify how atheism DID NOT mold some of these people. What was the basis for oppressing religious folk of any standing?

As a proud Polack, you tell me why my people had to hide their faith for over 40 years whilst being a puppet for the Soviets.

Politics. Religious folks were seen as a threat to the power structure. The desire to maintain power was the motive.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
isnt it obvious from reading his ridiculous book?

he thinks theists are stupid, naive, immature little children. he has no respect for them because to him, they believe in a fairy tale, and he is a lofty scientist whose intellectual prowess far exceeds those sad little nuts

because he sees religion as an hilarious joke, he doesnt bother to address it seriously or philosophically
he says idiocy needs to be met with ridicule
so the god delusion is just a book full of drivel and ridicule without significant undercurrents of philosophical proof

Agreed! Even some of Dawkins' atheist colleagues thought the book was terriable. It does nothing to further the atheist position ( a good thing,IMO ) and is not very well written.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My question is, why is he so anti-religion? I mean, I can understand why he is an atheist, but why the hostility to those who have faith? I suppose the question can be asked about militant atheists in general, but he's the one who got me wondering about it.:confused:

You know the religious folk that look at people who don't believe their religion and think they are stupid/misguided/uneducated/etc? The people that will make comments about how their religion is obviously correct and even a child could see it?

He's one of them, but an atheist.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
He changed when he discovered a movement of Christians removing science, and especially his own field of evolutionary biology, from schools around the US and UK.

I guess he thought the best way to counteract the movement was to criticize religion in general.

That's all I know about his background really.
I've never read any of his books and always found his agressive debate style irritating.
I find it funny when religious folk piant him as god of atheists, or the pope of the church of atheism.

The reason he was against the popes visit to the UK was primarily because of his suspected involvement in moving around guilty priests.
At least, that's what I heard.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Atheists and Spirit Filled Christians have one thing in common. They are both obsessed with Jesus.

This is probably because you deal with atheists that come from Christian backgrounds or a culture where Christianity is the dominate religion.

I know plenty of Jewish atheists that don't say one word about Jesus. They just don't follow Judaism and don't think they have to. Their background is the Jewish G-d.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In other words, you're saying that self-proclaimed Christians waged war for land, thus exposing themselves as greedy, ruthless. What would an atheist think of this, then? That Christians are worse than the worldly ppl they accuse all the while claiming moral superiority?

Ummm,yeah that's exactly what atheists claim-that Christianity and religion is to blame for all the wars and bloodshed. They aren't blaming "worldly" people.

Upvote 0