What's wrong with Communion in the hand?

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's OK. For the record you didn't, but I just wanted to reassure everyone that I was receiving it in the hand with respect.

That's very interesting.
:prayer: God bless!

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Oh I know...darn it I have a feeling that one day I'm going to flub up in that. If it does fall on the floor, what's the first thing that has to be done?
A priest will sometime take a cloth and holy water and clean it up. He will then consume it. I forgot what the cloth was called. I've seen it happen. Sometimes, nothing happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

Susie~Q

John 3:16 God bless you.
Supporter
Jan 26, 2011
South Island-New Zealand
✟271,351.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A priest will sometime take a cloth and holy water and clean it up. He will then consume it. I forgot what the cloth was called. I've seen it happen. Sometimes, nothing happens.
I have seen the priest take a white cloth and holy water and place it over the host and gently pick it up, I did not notice if the priest consumed it or not.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I have seen the priest take a white cloth and holy water and place it over the host and gently pick it up, I did not notice if the priest consumed it or not.
I saw the Communicant consume it afterwards. Just my observation.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. It's always a sacrilege when our Lord is trampled upon, knowingly or unknowingly. :(

Sacrilege is a mortal sin and the Church teaches that three conditions have to be met in
order for a sin to be mortal. One, it must be grave. Two, it must be committed with full
knowledge. Three, it must be committed with full consent.

If particles are trampled upon unknowingly, then mortal sin has not been committed
and neither has sacrilege.

Only when the three conditions are met to make a sin mortal, can sacrilege be committed.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've seen a priest consume a consecrated host that was half melted that my wife found
in the pew hymnal rack. Gross!

Other times the priest will place the consecrated host into the sacrarium which is in
the sacristy.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and your opinion IS NOT the magisterium's either, ugh :doh:

Actually it is.

The Magisterium follows Vatican II where receiving Communion in the hand is allowed.

• Informative
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading that it's more admirable to get Communion on the tongue. Is Communion in the hand less respectful?

There's a "slight problem" with me getting Communion on the tongue but it's very bizarre and I don't want to say it here.
As a young man-long ago-we transitioned from receiving on the tongue to receiving in the hand-and that seemed strange at the time. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with receiving in the hand-I'd assume that's how the apostles received at the Last Supper and if we're to consume His body and blood I'm sure He has no opposition to our handling it; He's giving Himself to us. And on top of that the Church teaches that it's ok :). Receiving on the tongue was an innovation, I believe, something that became a small "t" tradition in the west at some point down the line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sacrilege is a mortal sin and the Church teaches that three conditions have to be met in
order for a sin to be mortal. One, it must be grave. Two, it must be committed with full
knowledge. Three, it must be committed with full consent.

If particles are trampled upon unknowingly, then mortal sin has not been committed
and neither has sacrilege.

Only when the three conditions are met to make a sin mortal, can sacrilege be committed.
Thanks for the clarification!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I witnessed an issue today. If someone has trouble going up to receive communion, the priest will come to you at the end. I've seen it done numerous times. However, this one guy took it upon himself to take communion in the hand and then split it in half to give part of it to his wife, who was disabled. They thought they were being slick like nobody could see them do it, however, I saw.

• Agree
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I need to repeat myself. I started this thread because I have personal reasons for feeling awkward about receiving it on the tongue from my priest. I did receive on the tongue yesterday, but I also feel that my brain isn't as clean today. I feel like I'll have to go to confession again because of this, when I thought my situation was improving. Granted, I received the Eucharist, and that alone should help me, but it was more about who was giving it to me and how. Sorry to be talking like this, but this wasn't some random debate I started; I have my own problems.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A sacralige can be committed by anyone, Catholic or otherwise. To commit one without repenting isn't good for your soul's eternal destination.

False !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think removal of the Communion rail in the Church and the change in how the recipient presents themselves has led to the crisis of Eucharist belief in the Church
It certainly contributed. Kneeling is hard for me but it does seem to make abundant spiritual sense.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I guess I need to repeat myself. I started this thread because I have personal reasons for feeling awkward about receiving it on the tongue from my priest. I did receive on the tongue yesterday, but I also feel that my brain isn't as clean today. I feel like I'll have to go to confession again because of this, when I thought my situation was improving. Granted, I received the Eucharist, and that alone should help me, but it was more about who was giving it to me and how. Sorry to be talking like this, but this wasn't some random debate I started; I have my own problems.
We’re here for you. You don’t have to spill your guts here, but just know we are here for you.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Please do not be over scrupulous (scrupulosity is hell-believe me) and take care. You are in my prayers.

God bless you abundantly

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I witnessed an issue today. If someone has trouble going up to receive communion, the priest will come to you at the end. I've seen it done numerous times. However, this one guy took it upon himself to take communion in the hand and then split it in half to give part of it to his wife, who was disabled. They thought they were being slick like nobody could see them do it, however, I saw.
Yikes! Definitely NOT ok! (I assume you went to a Latin-Rite novous ordo Mass? Since your icon says "Melkite Catholic"?)

Upvote 0