What's wrong with Communion in the hand?

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
One guy came to church and I asked if he wanted to but he couldn’t receive Communion and I watched him go anyway and put it in his pocket but explained myself and took it to the priest.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think removal of the Communion rail in the Church and the change in how the recipient presents themselves has led to the crisis of Eucharist belief in the Church
I agree 100% Bring back the Communion rails!!

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been reading that it's more admirable to get Communion on the tongue. Is Communion in the hand less respectful?

There's a "slight problem" with me getting Communion on the tongue but it's very bizarre and I don't want to say it here.

This is really between you and Christ. Receiving in your hand is just as loving and honorable as receiving on your tongue.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think removal of the Communion rail in the Church and the change in how the recipient presents themselves has led to the crisis of Eucharist belief in the Church

I think what we're doing outside of our faith and outside of our churches is what is causing a crisis of belief in the Body of the Church. I'm not more or less faithful because my parish does/does not have a Communion rail or how I present myself to Christ (not talking about receiving while being under mortal sins).

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Has nothing to do with it.

Taking down the communion rail opened up the Mass to the people, which was it's intent.
The early Church had Mass celebrated in homes in the vernacular without communion rails,
and the proper posture was standing, as it's the proper posture for prayer in the East.

The crisis in the Church had more to do with what went on outside the churches, along with
the sex abuse crisis. Removing the altar rail, receiving in our hand while standing and the Novus Ordo Format had nothing to do with it.

• Winner
Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Has nothing to do with it.
It has everything to do with it.
Taking down the communion rail opened up the Mass to the people, which was it's intent.
The early Church had Mass celebrated in homes in the vernacular without communion rails,
and the proper posture was standing, as it's the proper posture for prayer in the East.
irrelevant excuses.
The crisis in the Church had more to do with what went on outside the churches, along with
the sex abuse crisis. Removing the altar rail, receiving in our hand while standing and the Novus Ordo Format had nothing to do with it
history is filled with crisis after crisis. Crisis is nothing new.
I'm not more or less faithful because my parish does/does not have a Communion rail or how I present myself to Christ
what if you were introduced to the Queen of England. Then compare how you would present yourself to the Queen compared to the King of the Universe. @JimR-OCDS can ponder that situation too.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has everything to do with it.
irrelevant excuses.

Your opinion and not the magisterium.

what if you were introduced to the Queen of England. Then compare how you would present yourself to the Queen compared to the King of the Universe.

I wouldn't bother as I think the entire monarchy the nation of England seeks to uphold
is ridiculous.

You'd have a problem with St Francis and how he presented himself to the King of Heaven while
here in earth?

Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
One guy came to church and I asked if he wanted to but he couldn’t receive Communion and I watched him go anyway and put it in his pocket but explained myself and took it to the priest.
The extraordinary eucharistic minister of Holy communion or ushers are supposed to chase them down if they do that. Sorry these abuses occur. :(

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's only sacrilegious if you were to purposely see the particles fall to the floor
and refused to pick them up.

Sacrilege requires the conscious willful participation in the offense.
I disagree. It's always a sacrilege when our Lord is trampled upon, knowingly or unknowingly. :(

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟437,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The extraordinary eucharistic minister of Holy communion or ushers are supposed to chase them down if they do that. Sorry these abuses occur. :(
Small town... I'm the only one who worried. Because we talked days before... i knew he wasn't Catholic

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Small town... I'm the only one who worried. Because we talked days before... i knew he wasn't Catholic
it happens more often than you think. We had a foreign exchange student several years ago from Germany who was part of an Evangelical Church. She regularly received Communion at the Catholic Church in town when she went with her host parents to Mass. I doubt she knew better and I highly doubt her host parents cared. sad.

I've seen plenty of non-practicing Catholics who flat out hate the Church go up and receive. They don't care.

Hurts my heart.

• Prayers
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Forgive me. This debate always gets VERY heated.
I notice that it does. I wish I didn't cause this heated thread; I just get kind of perturbed about certain things, I'm sorry. Just because others may abuse the sacrament doesn't mean I would.

Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I notice that it does. I wish I didn't cause this heated thread; I just get kind of perturbed about certain things, I'm sorry. Just because others may abuse the sacrament doesn't mean I would.
I did not imply you would abuse the Sacrament. I'm very sorry if I came off that way.

I was only referring that receiving on the tongue only occurred because of abuses in the early Church. Receiving on the hand was the original way.

God bless

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟239,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
But wouldn't "unknowingly" be more easily forgivable?
absolutely! We cannot sin if we do not know it. Unknowingly is not even a sin. It's just sad if he gets trampled upon regardless.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I did not imply you would abuse the Sacrament. I'm very sorry if I came off that way.
It's OK. For the record you didn't, but I just wanted to reassure everyone that I was receiving it in the hand with respect.

I was only referring that receiving on the tongue only occurred because of abuses in the early Church. Receiving on the hand was the original way.
That's very interesting.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's just sad if he gets trampled upon regardless.
Oh I know...darn it I have a feeling that one day I'm going to flub up in that. If it does fall on the floor, what's the first thing that has to be done?

• Friendly
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0