SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
What's with all the 'racist uncles'?
It's holiday season again, that magical time of year when families gather, feasts are prepared, and media outlets tell you how to argue with your racist uncle. To judge by these articles, millions of Americans heading home for the holidays are dreading a confrontation with an uncle — always an uncle — who expresses heinous opinions during an otherwise congenial supper. And yet people don't want to spoil the holidays for everyone by fighting.

There are many peculiar things about this genre, which has taken the shape of bots and hotlines that promise to assist you in outsmarting your uncle. Strangest may be the implied conviction that if it weren't for racial politics, families wouldn't get into ugly rows over Thanksgiving dinner. But perhaps more striking is the way this trope papers over the existence of broader familial racism. Racist parents are nowhere to be seen in these fables, nor are racist brothers and sisters. There isn't even a whisper of a racist aunt, never mind a racist niece or nephew. In the happy world of the racist uncle, bigots stopped reproducing in the 1960s and survive only in the form of childless, middle-aged males who go to their siblings' houses for the holidays.
For one, racist aunts are just as real as racist uncles. Studies show white women are not significantly less racist than white men, news that should come as no surprise to anyone who has studied the demographic trends of recent elections. But there's also ample reason to beware the racist niece and nephew; white millennials are only marginally less racist than their parents. In surveys, 31 percent of white millennials believe black people are lazier than whites, as opposed to 35 percent of white baby boomers. Millennials, boomers and members of Generation X are markedly less racist than previous generations, but given that the oldest boomers are now in their 70s, this isn't especially heartening. We've apparently made little to no progress in eradicating racism since the '60s.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never thought of "racist Uncle" to imply men are more likely to have those views. Just that men are more likely to express those views at gatherings. In my personal experience, men in my family, myself included (though not nearly as much as the other guys in my family), are much more likely to talk about contentious issues. The girls tend to shy away from topics that may cause arguing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"In surveys, 31 percent of white millennials believe black people are lazier than whites, as opposed to 35 percent of white baby boomers."

I wonder what they base these opinions on?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have three nephews and one niece. If you asked them I believe they would agree that I am at least a little racist, but only because I am a conservative. Ironically one of my nephews has expressed some racist views even though one of his best friends is a black fellow.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ironically one of my nephews has expressed some racist views even though one of his best friends is a black fellow.

This is not really ironic, since "having a ____ friend" is not some sort of antidote or bullet-proof defense to "anti-_____-ism". This is why there is much rolling of eyes when it is trotted out as such a defense.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is not really ironic, since "having a ____ friend" is not some sort of antidote or bullet-proof defense to "anti-_____-ism". This is why there is much rolling of eyes when it is trotted out as such a defense.

Where did you spot a 'defense'? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
So...a simple irony, as stated.
I think you're missing the point of what he's saying. Being friends with a person of another race does not mean you're not racist. Another example that might be easier, marrying a woman does not mean you're not sexist. You can still do and support things that marginalizes, oppresses and discriminates against women yet still say you love your wife, mother, daughter, etc.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you're missing the point of what he's saying. Being friends with a person of another race does not mean you're not racist. Another example that might be easier, marrying a woman does not mean you're not sexist. You can still do and support things that marginalizes, oppresses and discriminates against women yet still say you love your wife, mother, daughter, etc.

But isn't 'racism' being actively harmful against minorities, not merely attitudes and expressions? And aren't most racist remarks really anger and not hatred? I'm not racist but I think the black community is pretty screwed up.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
But isn't 'racism' being actively harmful against minorities, not merely attitudes and expressions? And aren't most racist remarks really anger and not hatred? I'm not racist but I think the black community is pretty screwed up.
Racism is not just being actively harmful against minorities and yes, the statement you've just made about the black community (including previous statements where you have said you discriminate against them) is racist.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Racism is not just being actively harmful against minorities and yes, the statement you've just made about the black community (including previous statements where you have said you discriminate against them) is racist.

But isn't it a fact? Don't you believe in genetically influenced behavior?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What if you don't like anybody, including those of your own race? White people give me more grief than anyone. :mad:

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You've stated in these forums that when you were a landlord, you refused to rent to blacks, so you were a racist even by your own definition.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You've stated in these forums that when you were a landlord, you refused to rent to blacks, so you were a racist even by your own definition.

I made it clear that that was a business decision, not based soley on race, although of course there was a racial component in that those I refused to rent to were of a certain minority group. o_O

And if the physical evidence were examined it would appear that I discriminated against white people, as I eventually had no white tenants at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0