Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For Lent this year, I've been reading the Bible for 30 minutes (or more) per day. Do that, and you get through a lot of the Bible--I've read Job, Mark, Luke, 1 & 2 Corinthians, 2 Timothy, Song of Songs, 1/2 of Acts, and more, with only a few weeks in.
However, one of the books I really struggled with was Ecclesiastes. It seems like the author keeps changing his mind, saying wisdom is useless, then grand, then useless again, if I recall correctly, and so much of it is just saying that pretty much everything is futile (except when he says it's not).
Can someone help out here?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes is indeed a "double-minded" wisdom book. Solomon (the presumed human author) was doing compare/contrast of life "under the sun" with life "in the spirit" (as much as he knew about the spirit's working back then). So when you're reading it, you have to pay attention to whether he's coming from the secular viewpoint or the heavenly viewpoint. I imagine a good study Bible would have paragraph headings to alert you to the different viewpoints.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For Lent this year, I've been reading the Bible for 30 minutes (or more) per day. Do that, and you get through a lot of the Bible--I've read Job, Mark, Luke, 1 & 2 Corinthians, 2 Timothy, Song of Songs, 1/2 of Acts, and more, with only a few weeks in.
However, one of the books I really struggled with was Ecclesiastes. It seems like the author keeps changing his mind, saying wisdom is useless, then grand, then useless again, if I recall correctly, and so much of it is just saying that pretty much everything is futile (except when he says it's not).

I guess Solomon was saying that in the end nothing seemed to make sense in this life, only God understands so we need to put our trust in Him, not our own pursuits or our own understanding.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

The "hermeneutical key" for unlocking the meaning of Ecclesiastes is to understand that the author lacks an eternal perspective. He is describing the vanity of life under the sun. Matters of eternity do not factor into his reasoning. He is therefore absolutely right in what he says. Life under the sun is indeed vain. But other parts of the Bible help us answer the questions that Ecclesiastes raises because they provide an eternal perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes is indeed a "double-minded" wisdom book. Solomon (the presumed human author) was doing compare/contrast of life "under the sun" with life "in the spirit" (as much as he knew about the spirit's working back then). So when you're reading it, you have to pay attention to whether he's coming from the secular viewpoint or the heavenly viewpoint. I imagine a good study Bible would have paragraph headings to alert you to the different viewpoints.

That is very much the important point to realize. I didn't really grasp it until I was old enough to "get" the basic nihilism of Ecclesiastes.

From a viewpoint limited to that which has been created (that which is "under the sun,") Ecclesiastes is essentially nihilistic. I'm old enough now to understand that nihilism. I've seen all the things I thought were so important back when I was 20 or 30 or 40 or 50--things on which I expended heart and soul and time and health--proven to have been unimportant after all.

It's rather disheartening to look back 50 years and realize...I spent life and time on things that even before I die have become unimportant, even forgotten.

Everything in this world is eventually overcome by events.

The refrain is, "Everything is meaningless." In the Hebrew, the word usually translated as "meaningless" is literally translated as "vapor" or "smoke." So it's really saying "Everything is vapor."

That is a meaning to consider. Vapor looks like a "something," but it constantly changes shape and when you try to grasp it, it floats out of your grasp and disappears.

That's what the things we think are important in this world really are. What we think is important changes from day to day or decade to decade. When we finally get a grasp of it, we discover it's not what we thought it was and we can't hold on to it anyway. Just vapor, smoke. It looked like something, but turned out to be nothing of lasting substance.

That's for everything "under the sun," and for nihilists that's all there is or can be and the end of everything. So, YOLO...if we only look at creation.

But then the narrator (who, I think, is a different "voice" from the Teacher), calls us to lift our viewpoint beyond the sun and consider God in Heaven instead. What we work for His mission is what will endure--those "treasures in Heaven" that Jesus talked about (of which Solomon could have only the haziest level of understanding).

Upvote 0

Scorcher007

Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Flyover Country
✟47,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Ecclesiastes chronicles Solomon's cynicism regarding the value of life, ... after having his focus turned from God ...

Having great riches and great wisdom, Solomon despairs that his life will, ultimately, mean nothing after he is gone.

He strives to find lasting meaning in all measure of experience and endeavour, only to have it all "fall short" of the meaning for which he is seeking.

Finally, at the end of the writing, he concludes that the only human possibility ... with any hope for endurance ... is "serving God and observing His commandments, ... for this is the whole duty of mankind."

Ecclesiastes 12

13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:

Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the duty of all mankind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
An Introduction to The Book of Ecclesiastes

"Exegetical introduction to Ecclesiaates"

"Background and context of Ecclesiastes"

Are both reasonable search terms to insert into google or some other search engine.

Good luck on your research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0