Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A DISABLED man has been stopped from using his specially-made wheelchair because British road authorities say it's a tank.

Jim Starr, 36, was told by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DLVA) he cannot ride his specially-made chair, which has caterpillar-treads instead of wheels, because its size and width technically make it a tank.

According to DVLA guidelines disabled buggies and scooters cannot exceed more than 85cm in width and 125kg in weight.

Jim's Tank Chair is 107cm wide and weighs 220kg.

Jim says he has already driven the custom-made vehicle across snow, sand and even into the surf of his local beach.

"The whole idea of the chair was that I could go down to the beach with the kids," Jim said.

"It is a fantastic machine and can take me anywhere I want to go. It has no limits."

Sorry, your chair's a, um, tank Weird News - The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:eek:
tank1.jpg

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I can think of one possible reason - if he was driving his chair on public sidewalks. Then the increased size, especially if it travels at any real speed, could become dangerous to other pedestrians. Plus the weight and the treads may (emphasis may) cause some damage on the roadways.

That said, if we're dealing with using it on private property or off-roading... then yeah, let him go ahead.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
I can think of one possible reason - if he was driving his chair on public sidewalks. Then the increased size, especially if it travels at any real speed, could become dangerous to other pedestrians. Plus the weight and the treads may (emphasis may) cause some damage on the roadways.

That said, if we're dealing with using it on private property or off-roading... then yeah, let him go ahead.
Could be a prob on sidewalks due to it's width, but there's no possible way it could actually damage a road or sidewalk. A person walking with shoes is putting more weight per square centimeter than this thing would.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can think of one possible reason - if he was driving his chair on public sidewalks. Then the increased size, especially if it travels at any real speed, could become dangerous to other pedestrians.

It travels at a maximum of 12 km/h . . the average jogging speed of average people is 9 - 10 km/h. Should we ban above average joggers from jogging on roads and sidewalks?

Whoever at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency got in this man's business should be banned from using their legs for a year and a day & then asked to revisit the topic.

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
As I said, it depends on the top speed and the size. While above average joggers move at it's top speed, they're also a good bit smaller and more laterally agile. I can see why it may be a bit much for everyday use/on a sidewalk.

That said, it looks mostly like he uses it for offroad use - in which case I have no reason to complain about his using it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's 20cm to big, not to big for a sidewalk.
twice the weight but it is an all terrain scooter.

http://www.bandwequipment.com/images/equipment/131.jpg
tank?

also found another picture of this mobility device:
small tractor with tracked wheels - Bing Images

Restrict is to immediate crossing of roads and sidewalks only.

It's weight does not seem that bad, twice the weight of a normal scooter.
Not sure of the weight capacity of roads or sidewalks, but still seems light.
Scooters can be dangerous to people walking near them. If he is responsible and the controls safe, then the vehicle is safe.

Upvote 0