What's the "Word"..? Jesus or the scriptures?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you say?

The "Word", or "Logos", is the divine nature of Christ. The scriptures are the scriptures.

Some confusion was created by protestants in their push for "scripture alone" and their designation of the scriptures as the "word of God".

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you say?

John 1:1-5

“1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” (NKJV)

This is my understanding, limited as it is.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 2:13-- "Ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

Ephesians 6:17-19-- “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God...And on my behalf, that utterance may be given unto me in opening my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Although scripture (the word of God is the God breathed>inspired and efficacious written record of God) is the cradle of Christ it is not the Logos, a divine person of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although scripture (the word of God is the God breathed>inspired and efficacious written record of God) is the cradle of Christ it is not the Logos, a divine person of the Trinity.
No, it is the Rhema, another word that is translated as word.

The question here was asked in English, however, so the correct answer is both of them.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, it is the Rhema, another word that is translated as word.

The question here was asked in English, however, so the correct answer is both of them.
But the OP didn’t list any scripture references. Yes in English ’word’ can be both but in Greek sometimes it uses ‘Rhema’ other times it uses ‘Logos’ making a distinction between scripture and Jesus. You, I and many others here know this but I’ll be danged if I haven’t seen posters here argue that ‘word’ can be used for either without regard to the original Greek word being translated.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the OP didn’t list any scripture references. Yes in English ’word’ can be both but in Greek sometimes it uses ‘Rhema’ other times it uses ‘Logos’ making a distinction between scripture and Jesus. You, I and many others here know this but I’ll be danged if I haven’t seen posters here argue that ‘word’ can be used for either without regard to the original Greek word being translated.
Oh, you are right about that, but the question that we were asked was whether word (of God) refers to Christ or to Scripture. Well, word itself can be used to mean either, and that is how we find it in English translations of the Bible--sometimes meaning Scripture and sometimes meaning Christ.

Upvote 0