Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The root of all sin seems to stem from unbelief. The formula: You believe that Jesus is Lord, you believe in his word.

People who don't believe, sin. It says it right here.

John 3
"No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him."

Its in God's Word. They sin because they don't believe in it.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The root of all sin seems to stem from unbelief. The formula: You believe that Jesus is Lord, you believe in his word.

John 3
"No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him."

The only problem with that explanation is that Adam sinned, even though Adam knew God. It was not the case that Adam had unbelief.

Christians can sin even though they really believe in Jesus.

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pride is the root not unbelief because even Christians sin

John 3

thats the key word. Not sin at all

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The only problem with that explanation is that Adam sinned, even though Adam knew God. It was not the case that Adam had unbelief.

Christians can sin even though they really believe in Jesus.

of course, but the key word is Remain in sin.

Is this logical? To believe sin is bad yet continue in it?

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 3

thats the key word. Not sin at all

Than I guess no Christian knows Him because all Christians sin. As long as your human you (general you not specific) will always sin. The only one that never sinned was Christ. Further one can not just take a verse out of it's context and go boom this is what it says context matters like why was the letter written, to whom was it written, and the culture at the time it was written.

Here is an example of context:

9 I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10 So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church.

11 Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. 12 Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself. We also add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true. 3 John 1:9-12 ESV

So John is talking about a particular person and not to imitate that person.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Than I guess no Christian knows Him because all Christians sin. As long as your human you (general you not specific) will always sin. The only one that never sinned was Christ. Further one can not just take a verse out of it's context and go boom this is what it says context matters like why was the letter written, to whom was it written, and the culture at the time it was written.

Here is the context:

9 I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10 So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church.

11 Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. 12 Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself. We also add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true. 3 John 1:9-12 ESV

So John is talking about a particular person and not to imitate that person.

Twisting my words. Never claimed no one sins at all.

The Bible warns of remaining is sin. If someone believes sin is bad, they don't continue in it. It makes no logical sense to believe sin is bad yet continue in it.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Twisting my words. Never claimed no one sins at all.

No I am not, that is what you were insinuating. You asked the root of sin and it is not what you concluded which was unbelief which it is not make up your mind do you want to talk about the root of sin or habitual sin.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The root of all sin is the lie. The lies we believe about God, ourselves and our neighbour gets us to sin each time again. Only God's truth of grace and mercy through Christ can set us free from the power of the lie.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That was not the title of the OP, I was responding to the initial statement. "What is the root of all sin", what is the source of all sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Whats the root of all sin?

Jas. 1:14,15
14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Is your belief documented?

1Jn 3:5,6
5) And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6) Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1Jn 3:8,9
8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

How about this then.

Rom 6:1,2
1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

• Agree
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How about this then.

Rom 6:1,2
1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

I agree, why should we remain in sin since we have been freed from it.

The thing I don't understand is how some people claim the Holy Spirit leaves us in sin and doesn't give us a new nature.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

I don't think this is optional, but it comes as the full package when one is saved by grace through faith.

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, why should we remain in sin since we have been freed from it.The thing I don't understand is how some people claim the Holy Spirit leaves us in sin and doesn't give us a new nature."Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."I don't think this is optional, but it comes as the full package when one is saved by grace through faith.
John 3
"No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him." Thats the key word. Not sin at all

That may be your conclusion "Not sin at all".
But you need to test your conclusion against scripture:
Perhaps "Keeps on sinning" is more of an intentional action?
Because we do find believers who still have sin in their actions:

1 John 3:4
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

Romans 7:15
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.

Romans 7:19
For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to one another, so that you do not do what you want.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

John 3

root of all sin is self

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John 3

Good Day, John

We sin because we are sinners... we are not sinners because we sin, the root of sin is our own reality of being a sinner..

In Christ we has died to sin, no long in that realm, he transferred us from that realm of sin, and death.

Therefore there is no condemnation for those who in Christ.. innocence.. freedom.

Ashamed sometimes yes, run to the father instead of away from, but the Law can not condemn us we are under Grace.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it can be said that pride even opposes faith. Once Adam chose to disbelieve God's command, he was effectively denying God's godhood. It was the first act of unbelief, which is why faith is the first step back to God. But pride seems to be at the root. As the catechism puts it:
"Seduced by the devil, he wanted to "be like God", but "without God, before God, and not in accordance with God".
But as Jesus said,
"Apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

There was a reason Adam preferred himself to God (another teaching), and that was because he had his own desires, his own lusts, driven by pride. To be like God was better, in Adam's eyes, than to be subjugated to Him. Can't really argue with that thought; to be God is the best possible state of being, foolish as it was for Adam to think that he might achieve it.

This world has the potential to help definitively teach humanity that Adam was wrong, that we're not God, and that we fall far short of any kind of likeness to Him despite the fact that many don't act as if they get this truth. But that's the first lesson to be learned so we can recognize our need for Him. As we're reconciled to and enter communion with Him again He can then begin the process of transforming us into His image.

Last edited:
Upvote 0