UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In light of all the rulings of these Republican appointed SCOTUS Justices over the years, and especially Chief Justice Roberts, is there really any need for court packing?

Discuss....
Biden will not pack the court. He might set up a commission to look into the supreme court in order to kick it into the long grass.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump made the mistake of nominating Justices that have brains. He mistook them for people that understood what a “favor” means.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All this shows is that there is a of limit for the conservative justices. Packing the court, as Trump has done, will still likely have negative effects.
Let's not blur or redefine terms. For the purpose of this particular discussion, "packing the court" specifically means adding to the number of SCOTUS justices. My underlying question is - Based on rulings over recent years, what's the point?

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In light of all the rulings of these Republican appointed SCOTUS Justices over the years, and especially Chief Justice Roberts, is there really any need for court packing?

Discuss....
I'm sure there are quite a few so-called progressives who still think that Roberts and Kavanaugh are conservatives, but they've shown themselves to be in the middle, at best.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's not blur or redefine terms. For the purpose of this particular discussion, "packing the court" specifically means adding to the number of SCOTUS justices. My underlying question is - Based on rulings over recent years, what's the point?
Which rulings are you referring to? I think evening out the ratio of liberals to conservatives on the Supreme Court will be a crucial step toward moving our country in a direction that’s best for the People, not just the Republican elites.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which rulings are you referring to? I think evening out the ratio of liberals to conservatives on the Supreme Court will be a crucial step toward moving our country in a direction that’s best for the People, not just the Republican elites.

I like the idea of 4 republican, 4 democrats and then have some how a libeterian or someone in the middle to tie break.

Upvote 0

Skewpoint

Jul 11, 2019
USA
✟72,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I like the idea of 4 republican, 4 democrats and then have some how a libeterian or someone in the middle to tie break.
I don't like that idea purely on the grounds that it would further solidify the 2 party de facto system we have now.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I like the idea of teh senate changing their rules to requite a 2/3rds majority for confirmation.

Because of something a college student who used to be here pointed out I decided to check to check the confirmation vote for Roberts. 78-22. Then other were a click away. Alito unanimous consent. Sandra Day O'Connor 99-0 (despite serious lobbying against her by the relegious right).

I don't care nearly as much about the party lines as much as having them rated by the bar association as highly qualified and being able to get confirmation votes from the other side of the asile.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I might be wrong but my understanding of conservative judges are those who strictly see constitution as it is and try to apply/ interpret the constitution with the intent it was written, on the other hand sometimes liberal judges try to see how constitution should be interpret in today’s society rather then the original intent. Most conservatives judges are republican and most liberal judge are democrat but that is not what makes them conservatives or liberal judge.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea that Supreme Court judges actually adjudicate based on reason, logic, law, and the best interests of the people.

Their decisions should NOT be influenced at all by what political party they belong to.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I might be wrong but my understanding of conservative judges are those who strictly see constitution as it is and try to apply/ interpret the constitution with the intent it was written, on the other hand sometimes liberal judges try to see how constitution should be interpret in today’s society rather then the original intent. Most conservatives judges are republican and most liberal judge are democrat but that is not what makes them conservatives or liberal judge.

Thats fine in theory, but what we've seen last few years is that conservative judges will turn themselves inside out to make excuses for anything religious even breaking their own previous rulings to do so.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like the idea that Supreme Court judges actually adjudicate based on reason, logic, law, and the best interests of the people.

Their decisions should NOT be influenced at all by what political party they belong to.

or even religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Discuss....

Court packing can be effective if done competently -- but Donald's never had a talent for choosing good people.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That is a bit of a non-question at this point. I cannot see Biden trying to pack the court and one thing that this recent decision shows is that it is very hard to buy a Supreme Court judge.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And how exactly do we gauge what is “best for the people”? Is there a written manual somewhere?

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats fine in theory, but what we've seen last few years is that conservative judges will turn themselves inside out to make excuses for anything religious even breaking their own previous rulings to do so.

Really? This is news to me. What case or cases has this happened?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0