Whats the point in Jesus promising Eternal life if everyone is going to live Eternally anyway?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What's the point in Jesus promising Eternal life to those who believe in him if everyone is going to live eternally anyway? True they will live eternally in agony but it IS eternal life. So in the majority view among Christians EVERYONE gets to live for an eternity. So what's the draw to Christ when I'm going to live for an eternity anyway regardless of what happens? See what I'm saying?

I'm not trying to promote Annihalationism I'm just saying it makes sense and it is a million times worse and scarier alternative. I would rather live in Eternal torment than Eternal destruction. I don't want my soul to be destroyed. Annihilationism scares me enough to the point where I actually want to follow Christ so that my very soul doesn't get destroyed. I'm sure many other Christians are scared of Annihilationism as well. I'm definitely not alone. So wouldn't that make much more sense? Than Jesus promising Eternal life no matter what happens? Just one Eternal life involves torture and another one involves comfort?

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Only the saints will have immortal bodies. It is the body that is corrupted and puts on incorruption.
The wicked dead as carcasses will be viewed on the new earth by the ones in flesh. The wickeds will not be in no torment -as their worm will never die. This undying worm part is the reason the others have go out to the lake of fire scene and view the wickeds.

they shall look
for - their worm
This will abhor the people not in the lake of fire.

Daniel 12:2 shows that some rise to everlasting shame - and it also mentions contempt. abhor

Interesting. I don't know maybe I will change my mind when I actually see what the lake of fire is like and what the wicked have to endure. But right now it just seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. No matter what happens I will be given a body capable of living for forever. Just one eternal life will involve living with God and one without God in torment.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's the point in Jesus promising Eternal life to those who believe in him if everyone is going to live eternally anyway? True they will live eternally in agony but it IS eternal life. So in the majority view among Christians EVERYONE gets to live for an eternity. So what's the draw to Christ when I'm going to live for an eternity anyway regardless of what happens? See what I'm saying?

I'm not trying to promote Annihalationism I'm just saying it makes sense and it is a million times worse and scarier alternative. I would rather live in Eternal torment than Eternal destruction. I don't want my soul to be destroyed. Annihilationism scares me enough to the point where I actually want to follow Christ so that my very soul doesn't get destroyed. I'm sure many other Christians are scared of Annihilationism as well. I'm definitely not alone. So wouldn't that make much more sense? Than Jesus promising Eternal life no matter what happens? Just one Eternal life involves torture and another one involves comfort?

I can see what you are saying, and it is an interesting thought.

I can see where annihilationism can scare the crap out of someone, compared to being eternally tortured.
While it is interesting to discuss, the main question on my mind is: What are you doing about following Jesus? Annihilationism or eternal torture aside, what are we doing to not have either of these fates?

This will lead to more constructive approaches and applications to this question, rather than just focusing on the theology behind where we go when we die.

In peace

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can see what you are saying, and it is an interesting thought.

I can see where annihilationism can scare the crap out of someone, compared to being eternally tortured.
While it is interesting to discuss, the main question on my mind is: What are you doing about following Jesus? Annihilationism or eternal torture aside, what are we doing to not have either of these fates?

This will lead to more constructive approaches and applications to this question, rather than just focusing on the theology behind where we go when we die.

In peace

Oh I believe in Jesus and am spared from either fate. I will live for an eternity with God. I was just wondering for theologies sake. Like... When I was an atheist I wondered this question and questions like it. What's the point in Jesus promising Eternal life if God in his perfect love and perfect justice is going to allow me to live for forever anyway? Like I said maybe my opinion would change if I actually had to suffer that kind of fate but to me it sounds pretty sweet to be able to live for forever no matter what happens.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The bodies of the people in the lake of fire/outer darkness are dead.
It seems that their soul or a part -such as the conscious will live on into eternity.
their worm - shall not die
Jesus Christ showed that to have life - the whole body must be kept from the eternal fire. You could cut off a foot or such, then still enter into life as maimed.

The devils were afraid of that coming time, as they said things such as to they did not want to be tormented/destroyed, especially before the time.
the beast, false prophet, the devil - they =shall be tormented day and night - for ever and ever
The beast and the false prophet are cast into the lake of fire over a thousand years before Satan joins them there. Yet, they -will all three be in the same fire lake -and be tormented -into eternity.

I see. So its kind of like eternal life as a zombie? So it wouldn't be a comfortable eternal life no matter how you slice it. Like... You aren't very comfortable in your eternal body on top of being tormented by the worms eating your flesh...etc? So you would half WISH that Annihalationism is true? Interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. I don't know maybe I will change my mind when I actually see what the lake of fire is like and what the wicked have to endure. But right now it just seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. No matter what happens I will be given a body capable of living for forever. Just one eternal life will involve living with God and one without God in torment.
What???
Seems like a sweet deal to you?
Friend you seem to be mocking eternity in general.
The worst part of The Lake of Fire for those who go there , is the knowledge that you (you as in whoever) will be separated from Jesus Christ for eternity.
Redemption /salvation isn't free friend.
God Himself took on flesh and was falsely accused, mocked, beaten, spat upon, tortured, and nailed to The Cross for our sake.
God Himself laid down His life for you and I and them.
He shed His precious blood to make the only atonement for our sins!
Was buried and rose the third day. (Amen!!!)
No friend, salvation isn't free.
A very, very, very Godly price was paid in FULL!
Jesus Christ offers that gift to us , but it isn't free.

Let no one talk about eternity lightly.
Let no one mock the severity of The Lake of Fire and the anguish that is incomprehensible !

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not trying to promote Annihalationism I'm just saying it makes sense and it is a million times worse and scarier alternative.

Fine with me if you promote it, as you may be exactly right, and interesting that you noticed the discrepancy that adds credence to the idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most theologians think that when Eternal Life is referred to in the New Testament, it carries with it the idea of a glorious life eternal, not just any kind of existence that goes on forever.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What's the point in Jesus promising Eternal life to those who believe in him if everyone is going to live eternally anyway?
That's not what he means by eternal life. The phrase isn't just about duration. Eternal life is life with God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It’s a big difference. Have you ever been in excruciating pain?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Eternal life is the promise to those who believe, It's the antithesis of eternal life that is for the others that may be best called eternal death.

Right now we define "life" through the lenses of our environments and they come paired with a carnal fleshly body with a beating heart and it similar ways we define death. But I don't see eternal life capturing those things. I see it with more abstract qualities, much is the same for eternal death where there are abstract qualities beyond the measure of flesh that define what it is (and perhaps it is annihilationism)

Upvote 0