Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this speaks of His spiritual Kingdom. The physical kingdom, where He will rule with a "rod of iron" comes with His next coming.

Luke 17:20 ¶ And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

John 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Revelations 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

Revelations 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

1 Corinthians 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

I have also heard some speculation that Jesus spoke of His transfiguration, resurrection, and the day of Penecost in this verse.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
But what does it mean when he says some of you will not pass away before seeing the son of man coming in his kingdom. ?

He is talking to the apostles, so some of them shouldnt die before jesus returns in all his glory no? Did he make a mistake, im gonna go on faith and say heck no, but i cant back it up :confused:

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, His kingdom did come very soon after His death, in the sense that it is a spiritual one where we are inside of Him and He in us. Do you think that is what He might be talking about in the given verse? The Holy Spirit came on the day of Penecost, just 49 days after the celebration of first fruits - three days after Jesus was crucified, and the day He rose from the dead. The Church of Jesus was born on the day of Penecost. The grain that had been planted in the ground (Jesus) has sprouted and this day would be the harvest of that wheat and first loaves of bread would be baked and waved before God at the high hour of Penecost. These symbols of Christ's death, resurrection, and church were fulfilled in a short period of time that all the disciples saw, as they waited for and participated in the day of Penecost and did truly reap a harvest of three thousand souls that day.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought to add that we have a position in Christ that is important to remember and meditate upon. It is as real as the physical world we see with our eyes.

Colossians 3:1 ¶ If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

I've heard some even speculate that John is alive somewhere - sorta like an immortal living among us as the sci-fi tale goes. Of course it is fiction and adds nothing to faith in God.

Reactions: lands21
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said that "SOME OF YOU will not taste death...". I don't believe that this can refer to the transfiguration, resurrection, or pentecost. Would it make any sense to say that SOME of the disciples didn't die in a week? Would it make sense to say that SOME of the disciples didn't die in a year? To say that SOME of them will not taste death implies that MOST of them would. So, is there an event that took place that is far enough in the future that MOST of the disciples would die, and near enough that SOME would still be alive? The destruction of Jerusalem and the temple is a perfect candidate. 8 chapters later Jesus describes the temple's destruction as "COMING". If you look up these words in a concordance, you will find that they are quoting the OT, when God "CAME" to many nations in judgement, just as He did to the Jews who crucified Him. Hope that helps you a little, doc markus.

Upvote 0

Pseud

Jesus Geek
Sep 15, 2003
US
Visit site
✟16,195.00
Faith
Christian
Matthew 16:28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (NIV)

For me, the word 'death' refers to spiritual death. Spiritual death is seperation from God and His love.

'before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." '

Pretty much speaks for itself. Christ coming to take you to his Kingdom.

So, it becomes a passage where physical death becomes somewhat of a joy, where there will be no taste of the seperation from God, simply Christ will come in his kingdom immediately.

Upvote 0

Pseud

Jesus Geek
Sep 15, 2003
US
Visit site
✟16,195.00
Faith
Christian
Matthew 16:24-27

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.

These are the prior verses, just for contextual purposes.

Upvote 0

Theresa

With Reason
Nov 27, 2002
✟24,289.00
Faith
Catholic
I can't say that I've worked it all out yet, but, it the Kingdom first and foremost, is considered to be the truth and a generation is 40 years, which is approx how long it took until the destruction of Jerusalem, and him coming in his kingdom is offen understood to be the destruction of Jerusalem.

Just now I thought of an irony. The Jews thought the Messiah would set up a physical kingdom, and they rejected Christ, but instead he set up a invisible Kingdom, and he destroyed Jerusalem to further this Kingdom, the truth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.