What's the Filioque controversy all about?

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
not the unbegotteness of the Father, and not the procession of the Holy Spirit. that's about all.
You said this in post 55:
when regarding the Trinity, all we know is the unbegotten Father, the begottenness of the Son, and procession of the Spirit are distinct. but any deeper than that and we are running into dangerous territory.

I believe we could pursue this since the thread is on the question of the filioque...
You said
The Father is unbegotten
The Son is begotten
The Spjirit proceeds

Regarding the Son only....
Please explain what YOU mean by
"The Son is Begotten".

I know there are persons reading along that do not understand this word begotten.

Thanks...

P.S. I understand that begotten only means unique...and DOES NOT mean "gotten" in any way since the 2nd person of the Trinity always existed.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You said this in post 55:
when regarding the Trinity, all we know is the unbegotten Father, the begottenness of the Son, and procession of the Spirit are distinct. but any deeper than that and we are running into dangerous territory.

I believe we could pursue this since the thread is on the question of the filioque...
You said
The Father is unbegotten
The Son is begotten
The Spjirit proceeds

Regarding the Son only....
Please explain what YOU mean by
"The Son is Begotten".

I know there are persons reading along that do not understand this word begotten.

Thanks...

P.S. I understand that begotten only means unique...and DOES NOT mean "gotten" in any way since the 2nd person of the Trinity always existed.

I did. we don't know what the begotteness is. we only know that it's not the unbegotteness of the Father or the procession of the Spirit. anything more is only known to God Himself.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did. we don't know what the begotteness is. we only know that it's not the unbegotteness of the Father or the procession of the Spirit. anything more is only known to God Himself.
Thanks.
I like to go to the ECFs when I have questions.
I found this site to be very interesting....
Nine Early Church Fathers Who Taught Jesus Is God | Stand to Reason

The ECFs called Jesus the Son of God, but they also referred to Him as God. I just wish the word begotten was never discovered....

Blessings

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's pretty clear what he means if you look at Genesis, Matthew, and Luke.
No. I don't know what's in the other person's mind.
I'd like to know why if we didn't beget the human race would end.

I'd like to know from @Philip_B what it means to HIM.
To me it sounds like he's talking about begetting babies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No. I don't know what's in the other person's mind.
I'd like to know why if we didn't beget the human race would end.

I'd like to know from @Philip_B what it means to HIM.
To me it sounds like he's talking about begetting babies.

why do you think I brought up those specific books of the Bible?

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew and Luke also have genealogies
Oh. OK.
What I'm saying is that the word BEGOT is very confusing to us in this day and age.
We tend to believe that it means that man "begot" a baby, for instance.

I just think it was a very wrong word to use in the Creeds..it makes is sound like Jesus was MADE by the Father. As if Jesus did not always exist.

The creed even says:
Eternally begotten
NOT MADE
one in being with the Father...

To many today, the above sounds like a contradiction.

I'm not speaking here specifically about the Filoque.
I also agree from a Catholic point of view that The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and NOT the Father and Son. Catholicism teaches the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son and sometimes I think it was done on purpose to be different from the Orthodox church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh. OK.
What I'm saying is that the word BEGOT is very confusing to us in this day and age.

I just think it was a very wrong word to use in the Creeds..it makes is sound like Jesus was MADE by the Father. As if Jesus did not always exist.

The creed even says:
Eternally begotten
NOT MADE
one in being with the Father...

To many today, the above sounds like a contradiction.

I'm not speaking here specifically about the Filoque.
I also agree from a Catholic point of view that The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and NOT the Father and Son. Catholicism teaches the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son and sometimes I think it was done on purpose to be different from the Orthodox church.

that's because there is a difference between created begetting in time, and the Son being eternally begotten outside of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Not sure there is a good reason in getting stuck over the specific word "begotten". It's just a fancy word in English. In Greek it says born (γεννηθέντα). In Romanian it says born (născut). In Russian it says born (рожденного).

So, yes, born like a baby. Only that it is before time begins so there is no way you can apply your time-bound logic to it and infer that "there was a time Christ didn't exist". He was born BEFORE time existed. In fact even this sentence is wrong, because the verb tenses make no sense before time begins.

The whole point of the word is to oppose it to made/created. That is why the word is used and how the word is used: born not made, born not created. We cannot hope to understand the intimate process by which Christ is born of God. That is not given to us. What we need to understand is that there is an explicit difference between Christ compared to everything else that was created.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that's because there is a difference between created begetting in time, and the Son being eternally begotten outside of time.
I learned that begotten just means that Jesus is unique. The one and only Son...but still God.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure there is a good reason in getting stuck over the specific word "begotten". It's just a fancy word in English. In Greek it says born (γεννηθέντα). In Romanian it says born (născut). In Russian it says born (рожденного).

So, yes, born like a baby. Only that it is before time begins so there is no way you can apply your time-bound logic to it and infer that "there was a time Christ didn't exist". He was born BEFORE time existed. In fact even this sentence is wrong, because the verb tenses make no sense before time begins.

The whole point of the word is to oppose it to made/created. That is why the word is used and how the word is used: born not made, born not created. We cannot hope to understand the intimate process by which Christ is born of God. That is not given to us. What we need to understand is that there is an explicit difference between Christ compared to everything else that was created.
I like your last sentence....Jesus is unique.

In Italian the Creed says:
Generato, non creato...

This means (as I'm sure you can tell) that Jesus was generated from God...not created by God...that somehow He comes OUT OF GOD...just as you've stated.

I understand this and persons that have studied at all and have studied the Trinity understand this...

What I'm saying is that it's very confusing to someone that has not...I always had problems explaining this to "new" learners...they always think in terms of begetting...like having a baby. It takes some time to sink in and for some it never really does. ONE IN BEING WITH THE FATHER...

Yes. We can't go any further than this....
Thanks! to you and @ArmyMatt .

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I learned that begotten just means that Jesus is unique. The one and only Son...but still God.

it does when it refers to the fact that He is God's only Son by nature.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is of course the only Son of God the Father.

However, a man can beget many sons/children ... it doesn't actually imply unique or only.

It's just that Jesus is the only, Jesus is unique, and His "begottenness" is also unique in that it is not like humans begetting their children.

Upvote 0