Whats the difference...

Eishiba

Dec 15, 2011
✟15,450.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
How exactly do you use Gods strength to overcome sin versus using your own? How do you know when you are using his and not yours? I am struggling with sinning and trying to overcome. I am having nights where I lay awake afraid of hell...I need to overcome sin...

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How exactly do you use Gods strength to overcome sin versus using your own? How do you know when you are using his and not yours? I am struggling with sinning and trying to overcome. I am having nights where I lay awake afraid of hell...I need to overcome sin...

Ask Him to empower by the Ruach ha Kodesh, breathing life into you soul, that the resurrected Mashiach live His life through you... that you may display His love, joy , peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control...this is my prayer for us.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are not alone in the Christian's struggle against one's own sinfulness. I hope that my advice will help you; there are several things to remember and do:

1. The gospel states that in Christ we have forgiveness of sins. That means we can rest assured that He will save us from condemnation. It is God's promise, and in Romans 10 it says that if we trust Him, we will not be put to shame (disappointed). So then, faith in Christ is the foundation to overcoming sin, as 1 John 5 says that we overcome by faith. This faith is simply trusting that Christ is your defender.

2. Memorizing scripture helps tremendously. One such verse to memorize is 1 Cor. 10:13 - temptations are common, and God will give us a way to escape it; and that way of escape is to trust Him for power that comes from Him (not your own). In response to this principle, he says "therefore flee from idolatry." So fleeing the temptation is a part of trusting God to keep you safe from it, and memorizing scripture to use as your "sword" of power also helps a lot.

3. Keep studying the Bible and learn what it teaches. There are many voices in the world, and a significant portion of them claim to be Christian, but teach things contrary to what the Bible teaches. The more you learn about God and the nature of your relationship with Him, the stronger you will get. Just keep on the path as Jesus said "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness..." - His righteousness, not your own. The knowledge of it is found in the Bible.

4. Make friends among Christians and fellowship with them, as this is one of things that build strength against sin. Real Christian fellowship keeps you out of sin, not put you in it, and isolation is one of the devil's strategies. In fellowship you develop relationships in which you become accountable, as you develop your honesty and transparency of soul. Confession and prayer really does help.

5. Try not to focus on fighting the temptation. Whatever you are imagining tends to bring you under its power. So do something else. If you can't sleep, start praying or reading the Bible or something else to help you release the pressure of the struggle.

Hope this helps.
TD:)

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How exactly do you use Gods strength to overcome sin versus using your own?

John 15

5 I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing.

Pray for Him to help you overcome your sin. You can not overcome your sin without Him. Pray for Him to remove all evil thoughts and actions from you.

James 4:7
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Keep yourself from people, circumstances and activities that are bad influences.

Follow in Jesus footsteps. Study His word diligently. Walk with Him daily.

You will stumble here and there and will never be perfect but strive towards the mark of perfection.

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

1 John 2:1-29

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: ...

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Many, probably most of us have struggled at some time or another, and even if not now, might again, and Christ knew this, and knew what we need -- aid from above. And He gave us the way -- a prayer to ask for that help, and it wonderfully includes aid/help against temptation as part of the prayer!

We can also pray specifically about a specific temptation we struggle with also, if it's still a struggle after this potent prayer.

I can testify that praying this prayer aids me noticeably every day I pray it.

Some days, it has changed a situation for me like flipping a switch. It's that powerful.

(the 2nd passage here has Christ's short prayer He tells us to pray, which He gave us because we need it)
Matthew 6 NIV

Pray with faith it will be given to you as you ask (Mark chapter 11, we are to believe as we pray). This prayer from Christ Himself we can have total confidence God will grant to us.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2Co 12:9-10
(9) But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
(10) For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that I have victory over sin in my life when I approach each day acknowledging how capable I am of sinning or falling into sin. I admit every single day that I’m capable of lust, vain imagination, deceit, stealing, cheating, and laziness. And by approaching each day by admitting my vulnerability to sin, I find that I am in a better position to guard my heart and live by all the applicable promises of God that He gave me in order to have strength and victory over sin. God promised victory, but you and I have to claim the authority to win the skirmish. God already won the battle and the war, but you and I must claim the skirmishes and the victory. Here are some of the promises of God for everyone who wants to stand firm and claim the victory and take the authority of Jesus:
  • In Isaiah 54:7 he promises, “No weapon formed against you will prevail”
  • In 1 John 4:4, he promises, “The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
  • In 1 Corinthians 15:57, he promised, “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through the Lord Jesus Christ"
  • In 2 Corinthians 2:14, he promised, “But thanks be to God who always leads us in a triumphant procession in Christ Jesus”
  • In 1 Corinthians 10:13, he promised, “No temptation as ceased you except what is common to man and God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bare but when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it"

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The key to overcoming sin is communion with God. Jesus said in the bible "Pray that you enter not into temptation, for the spirit is willing and the flesh weak". Of our selves we are weak and subject to sinful desires, as we spend time with God in prayer and bible reading it will strengthen us. God's word is a promise, and he has promised that "to not fall into temptation" we should "pray".

There is also a need to know that God's plans for you are for good, many sins are a result of needs not being met, God "will meet all of your needs according to His riches in glory", and the bible says "trust in the LORD ... and He will give you the desires of your heart". If we a) pray that the Spirit strengthen us, and b) mediate on his word that he has promised to meet our needs we can overcome sin.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

God's power always overcomes sin; yours cannot - at least, not for very long. You want victory over sin? I would recommend you read - and do - the following:

Getting The Victory Over Sin. | Christian Forums

Sin won't cast you into hell when you're a believer. God doesn't accept you as one of His own because you were good enough to be accepted and He doesn't continue to keep you as one of His own because you are good enough to deserve to be kept. Your acceptance rests upon Christ, not you. He is the reason God accepts you and with him God is always pleased. And since you are in Christ, God accepts you, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums