What's the difference between Anabaptists and Calvinists?

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
✟7,619.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Since I'm a grown up I spend a lot of time thinking about the Protestant reformation and I was wondering what the difference between the Anabaptists and the Calvinists in terms of theology and lifestyle. I would very much appreciate if your answers are 2-3 pages double spaced with at least 3 sources.

B

bbbbbbb

Since I'm a grown up I spend a lot of time thinking about the Protestant reformation and I was wondering what the difference between the Anabaptists and the Calvinists in terms of theology and lifestyle. I would very much appreciate if your answers are 2-3 pages double spaced with at least 3 sources.

:) Sounds like you want us folks to write your term paper for you.

There was an enormous difference between the Anabaptists and the Calvinists, as well as the Lutherans. Luther is recorded as being particularly opposed to the Anabaptism of his day. There were a number of varieties in vogue at the time, most of which passed off the scene. Some, for example, required detailed confession of sin weekly on Sunday to the congregation and baptism following for the remission of those sins. Others substituted foot washing for the baptism and elevated it to a sacramental level. Others taught baptismal regeneration, but only for adults who were properly immersed (which continues to this day in churches such as the Church of Christ denomination).

Upvote 0

PJM

Jan 29, 2013
Central Florida
Visit site
✟8,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=bbbbbbb;62289783]:) Sounds like you want us folks to write your term paper for you.

There was an enormous difference between the Anabaptists and the Calvinists, as well as the Lutherans. Luther is recorded as being particularly opposed to the Anabaptism of his day. There were a number of varieties in vogue at the time, most of which passed off the scene. Some, for example, required detailed confession of sin weekly on Sunday to the congregation and baptism following for the remission of those sins. Others substituted foot washing for the baptism and elevated it to a sacramental level. Others taught baptismal regeneration, but only for adults who were properly immersed (which continues to this day in churches such as the Church of Christ denomination).

Darn, I think you caught them.

But I too would like to know what the theologial differences and beliefs are.

I've had faith discussions with Baptist; but never Anababtist. Is this founded by Calvin too?

God Bless,
PJM

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Find this book and read it~Calvin will tell you in his own words about the "heretics" ;)

51Q6SFCRD0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Darn, I think you caught them.

But I too would like to know what the theologial differences and beliefs are.

I've had faith discussions with Baptist; but never Anababtist. Is this founded by Calvin too?

God Bless,
PJM

No, the Anabaptists were founded by former followers of Zwingli who defected from the reformation saying it was too conservative.

Upvote 0

PJM

Jan 29, 2013
Central Florida
Visit site
✟8,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
=CelticRose;62339545]That made me giggle as I think some of his ideas are off the wall. Sad, as there is only one *true* church & it has nothing whatsoever to do with our denominational hangups.

GEEZE,

That's strange.

The NT alone has only 100 referencesto "CHURCH." And when the Bible was both completely authored [the NT, BTW; by Catholics]; the ONLY "church" to exist anywhere in the world is today's Catholic Church.

Proveable BOTH by secular history and the bible itself.

How dear friend can it be possible for oue ONE PERFECT GOD to hold contradictory views on the sae topic. Hmmmmm.

God Bless you,
pat/PJM

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Most other churches actively persecute and persecuted Anabaptists , even putting them to death whenever they had both the opportunity and the 'orders' from their leaders to do so.

See Foxes Book of Martyrs (free online).

I wonder where the op went ? ? ? :)

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
GEEZE,

That's strange.

The NT alone has only 100 referencesto "CHURCH." And when the Bible was both completely authored [the NT, BTW; by Catholics]; the ONLY "church" to exist anywhere in the world is today's Catholic Church.

Proveable BOTH by secular history and the bible itself.

How dear friend can it be possible for oue ONE PERFECT GOD to hold contradictory views on the sae topic. Hmmmmm.

God Bless you,
pat/PJM
I know what you mean. But I do think God can be glorified in different interpretations of Scripture. One time I was reading a debate between Calvinists and (I forget what the term is. Non-Calvinistic Protestants). I juat felt they were both right and both interpretations glorify God. God is mind-bogglingly complex and sometimes I think the best we can do is to love God, love our neighbor even if they see things a little differently, and remember the Mystery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CatRandy

Jun 1, 2015
✟11,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Theologically Reformed usually hold to the following Confessions. These confessions are not held to be
inerrant or Divinely authored, but they are held by Reformed churches to teach doctrine that is accurate and true to the teachings of the Bible.

Their are three confessions that are called the "Three Forms of Unity":
The Belgic Confession
The Belgic Confession (1561) by Various

The Heidelberg Confession and
Westminster Theological Seminary - Heidelberg Catechism

The Cannons of Dort.
Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org

Presbyterians often hold to the Westminster Standards. "The Westminster Standards" consist of: 1. The Westminster Confession of Faith. 2. The Larger Catechism. 3. The Shorter Catechism. Their are also
several additional articles that are usually published with the Standards: 1. The Directory of Public
Worship. 2The Directory of Private Worship. 3. Form of Presbyterian Church Government, and 4. The
Sum of Saving Knowledge.
The Westminster Standards | The Westminster Standard

And Reformed Baptists often hold to "The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith" which was
patterned after the "Westminster Standards".
The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

In addition, most would hold to older confessions such as The Apostles Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed.

Anabaptists often hold to "The Schleitheim Confession".
THE SCHLEITHEIM CONFESSION OF FAITH, 1527

It should be noted that everyone has a "confession of faith". Even people who say that they believe
nothing but the Bible, and hold to no creeds but the Bible, have some set of beliefs that they hold to be true, whether they have these beliefs written down in an organized way, or just hold to a more or less nebulous set of beliefs in their mind that they don't consciously organize.

There is an app for both IPhone, and Android called "Christian Creeds and Reformed" that has all these creeds and more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there is so much history about the anabatist movement .
i was utterly unaware of it untill recently.
but as iv learned of it i see a chasm of difference between the early anabaptists and what it later factioned into and became.

so i woud say i have a HUGE respect for the "Early anabaptists" who ,in the middle of the reformation squabbles followed only JESUS .
they were executed for this in thier thousands.
Calvin also being implicit via his very powerful influence in the executions .rome busily burned them at the stake and luther and lutheranism beheaded and drowned them.
Im amazed how so FEW in christiandom know anything of this.
i dont have too much time for what the Anabaptist movement became .no offence intended.but during that time they stood unmoved by persecution and execution ,resolved in heart and mibd to follow Only JESUS

an incredibly short summary of differences i phrase like this.

rome said follow our church and obey "the church" ,we have the authority of the succession of the popes.

the lutherens say follow Our church church and Obey "the church" ,we have the authority of the scripture (sola scripture)etc

both murdered people for non compliance to thier "church" thus displaying they did not have the spirit of christ.

Anabaptists said put down the sword and follow ONLY JESUS obey Him.seeking to become like him for he is our supreme example .coerce no one.

and they were murdered for it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hold to the Schleitheim Confession of faith. But also believe what the first three points of Calvinism say about sin and grace. I reject Calvinism thinking it is ice-cold logic that arrives at the truth on some points through the back door. This makes it possible for many who do not know the love of Christ to have some truth apart from divine revelation. To me, this explains the slaughter of the Anabaptists in the 16th century by the Calvinists.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Anabaptists said put down the sword and follow ONLY JESUS obey Him.seeking to become like him for he is our supreme example .coerce no one.

and they were murdered for it
Yahshua Hamashiach is our Master, we are His Purchase by His Blood, His bondslaves are we.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums