london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have been praying for a job for a couple of years after uni. And although am still unemployed now, ave been wondering what would be the best way to honour God with my first salary once i get a job. .would it be better to give to my parents or split between them(parents) and the church (as part of honouring God)..?

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been praying for a job for a couple of years after uni. And although am still unemployed now, ave been wondering what would be the best way to honour God with my first salary once i get a job. .would it be better to give to my parents or split between them(parents) and the church (as part of honouring God)..?

Has all this been discussed with your parents?

When I lived with my mom after becoming 18 and being gainfully employed,
there wasn't any paying rent, there was paying for part of the bills
(phone/water bill/electric/food) and "cleaning up after myself... you know,
taking care of my own room/laundry/cleaning my bathroom etc.

Mom took it upon herself to pay the mortgage (that's how she wanted it)
but the other stuff like phone/cable/electric/food, we each paid an equal share...
so all total our living at home expenses was low...at the time there be three of
us(including mom), my much older brother was gone after he graduated high school in '73.

Mom trained us up to look after our own room and assigned chores ever since
we were toddlers...granted, she was lenient on us during those tender years
since we were so very young.

The money I earned went towards my share of household expenses, offerings
to the church and tucked back a little money for a rainy day. My usual weekly
treat for myself was usually going to see a movie or buying a book, if there
wasn't anything worth watching at the movies.

Reactions: vlisco
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When the bible was first being lived out the people there took care of everything that was within their gates. Their prosperity was for them, even the foreigners within their gates. My suggestion is to look to Jesus' leading to what He sees as needed at the time. Preplanning according to set rules could mean that God doesn't approve those works (especially if your giving to whoknowswhat) But honoring parents is never wrong.

Reactions: vlisco
Upvote 0

vlisco

May 17, 2017
london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you need to give to your parents unless they are literally having trouble making ends meet. Give 10% of the gross income to a worthy church or Christian charity.
ANd what happens to the remaining 90%..Am thinking of giving everything away

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about asking God for wisdom in this. If you see somebody in need, give it. Don't tithe 10% to any church. Tithing was never about money. Give cheerfully with the amount your happy to give away. Use money to be the blessing not a blessing because of money. What I mean is give a homeless man a sleeping bag instead of giving him money and he could end up buying alcohol from it. Support a charity, not a mega charity because they use it for financial gain but let's say some poor family have nothing for Christmas. Get them food vouchers and some sort of toy vouchers for the kids.
Giving money for anybody to spend is not only stupid, there's hardly thought put into it. Use the money so that you become the blessing. Oh and never tell anybody about such good deeds, Dad says if you do you have already received your reward. Do your good deed, tell Dad it is for His glory and never mention it again. Matthew 6
God Bless Jonathan

Upvote 0

vlisco

May 17, 2017
london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Jonathan..
How about asking God for wisdom in this. If you see somebody in need, give it. Don't tithe 10% to any church. Tithing was never about money. Give cheerfully with the amount your happy to give away. Use money to be the blessing not a blessing because of money. What I mean is give a homeless man a sleeping bag instead of giving him money and he could end up buying alcohol from it. Support a charity, not a mega charity because they use it for financial gain but let's say some poor family have nothing for Christmas. Get them food vouchers and some sort of toy vouchers for the kids.
Giving money for anybody to spend is not only stupid, there's hardly thought put into it. Use the money so that you become the blessing. Oh and never tell anybody about such good deeds, Dad says if you do you have already received your reward. Do your good deed, tell Dad it is for His glory and never mention it again. Matthew 6
God Bless Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. ..Asking Gods wisdom was the first thought but i never seem to get instant response from God as others who can hear him speak audibly to them...
Also I like everything uve said except your view on not tithing to my local church.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Jonathan..

Thanks Jonathan. ..Asking Gods wisdom was the first thought but i never seem to get instant response from God as others who can hear him speak audibly to them...
Also I like everything uve said except your view on not tithing to my local church.
I don't hear God speak audibly neither. I do however use wisdom in giving money. I try and see how I could benefit ones charity or person rather than give money directly. There was this one time I completed a job however and said to God that I have x amount as a sign of my gratitude for you. That night I got a call from a guy I knew but not a friend may I add, and he asked could I help him financially. When I said sure what you need, He asked me for that exact amount. God might not speak to you directly, but He sure does respond.

As for the local church tithe, any church that asks for a tithe, you should watch very closely. As stated, tithing was never about money. It was about crops and cattle and in some cases like Abraham and David, the plunders of war but never about people's money. I believe in helping out the church if needs be but from reading about tithing and watching my own church, I am very very cautious. My church from its tithes and offerings was bought outright by the pastors using such funds from years of build up but has now turned into a mega church and now preaches more like a life coaching sermon. It no longer teaches how to die to self rather how your life can be better when you have Jesus. It offers itself open to tithes and offerings although it has everything. My point being that God would rather see that million pound used to give a few homeless people a roof over their head and the church assemble in a field, rather than have a fancy building where it's used for a few hours twice a week. This is the wisdom you get from God when you ask for His wisdom, not your own. There is a lot of church pastors out there that are rich. It's a shame they don't read about the rich man told by Jesus to sell everything and give to the poor. Or the one where He says you can't serve God and money. It's all about their church and their status. Jesus told us to die to self not elevate it. That goes for all His followers including pastors. Ask for Gods wisdom in this.

A fellow brother of mine once said with your pay packet that one should spend some, save some and give some away. Here's wisdom on these points.
If God provides food and clothing for us, then it's ok for us to spend money on such needs. After all, He don't throw them down directly from heaven.

Whilst we are not to store up treasures here on earth, Jesus and the apostles did save money. Judas was the treasurer which meant money was saved. It was for when people or they themselves needed it.
Today we call it save for a rainy day. You never know when you or someone you know needs a help out. Coupled with the fact God does not want us to borrow because we become slaves to the debtor.

Giving money away means you value others needs above yourself. This is gratitude and God loves when you put others first, but if out of your donation you make the rich richer, of what benefit is that worth? Give and give cheerfully and give to those in desperate need. Not a church that seems to have everything anyway.

Upvote 0