What's The Best State in the U.S.A To Live?

Conker

A Soul Being Saved By God
Jun 28, 2017
California
✟15,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So this coming year I'll be going to college but there's one thing about it. I'm tired of living in California were there are so many liberal people, who proclaim their belief in God but are huge hypocrites. Many people around here are Catholics and I would like to go to a school, where there are more traditional Christians. I'm sure there are lots of Christians in the south (lots of hypocrites too) but I'm not sure they would welcome me considering that I'm a mixed breed (half Spanish and half Chinese). Even with that though, I'd rather be surrounded by Christians than to be with liberal atheists.
Where do you guys think are the best places to live?

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure but good on ya for wanting to get out of California. I live in Cali too and my mom and I want to move out as soon as we have enough funds to do so. I've heard that Missouri and Montana are very nice if not cold.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So this coming year I'll be going to college but there's one thing about it. I'm tired of living in California were there are so many liberal people, who proclaim their belief in God but are huge hypocrites. Many people around here are Catholics and I would like to go to a school, where there are more traditional Christians. I'm sure there are lots of Christians in the south (lots of hypocrites too) but I'm not sure they would welcome me considering that I'm a mixed breed (half Spanish and half Chinese). Even with that though, I'd rather be surrounded by Christians than to be with liberal atheists.

I would look at the city/town, because there can be a wide variation within a state. Texas is conservation, for instance, but Austin isn't.

I'm a Liberal state on the other end of the country, and I can't wait to move to a much more conservative area.

Upvote 0

Conker

Jun 28, 2017
California
✟15,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basically, anywhere that doesn't border on either the Atlantic or Pacific oceans is likely to be an improvement. Do you have some colleges in mind?

I don't really have any colleges in mind except for University of Holy Cross but that's in New Orleans and they have a high crime rate. So I just want to go where it's cheap.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right. And that would be a prime consideration for most people. So, what I'm thinking is that you might first narrow the list of colleges that are affordable and in line with what you want them to be teaching, etc....and then see what areas of the country they are in. The fact is that there really are many parts of the USA that would serve you well, pretty much anywhere that is not on one of the coasts, a crime-ridden metropolitan area, and, maybe, the South (as you indicated, although I'm not sure that's accurate). There is a lot of territory left.

Incidentally, I found several listings of Conservative Colleges online. They are a bit hard to gauge and they do not agree with each other entirely, but the listings were informative.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you should focus on finding a school you can afford that also has a campus culture that fits closest with your beliefs. Many colleges have a very liberal climate, even if they are located in a predominantly conservative area. In your shoes, I would look for a Christian school that I could afford, regardless of the state. The campus itself will be your environment for the next four years. The surrounding area is often very different from the college town itself. For instance, Ann Arbor (MI) is a very liberal college town, but other towns and cities nearby are different. There can be a lot of variation in beliefs and attitudes across a small geographical area.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Only the Holy Spirit can tell you what is the best place for you. He knows the future. He knows what people you will meet, how you can serve best. If you health is up to it, do a 24 hour water fast and pray and ask for guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you looked at Hillsdale?
Ah - yes. Hillsdale. The Michigan epicenter for the Jesus movement.

I remember 2 bands that came from that campus: Dear World and Aslan.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What are you wanting to learn?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Conker

Jun 28, 2017
California
✟15,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should focus on finding a school you can afford that also has a campus culture that fits closest with your beliefs. Many colleges have a very liberal climate, even if they are located in a predominantly conservative area. In your shoes, I would look for a Christian school that I could afford, regardless of the state. The campus itself will be your environment for the next four years. The surrounding area is often very different from the college town itself. For instance, Ann Arbor (MI) is a very liberal college town, but other towns and cities nearby are different. There can be a lot of variation in beliefs and attitudes across a small geographical area.

What's the difference between a Christian school and a normal school? Aren't Christian schools still ridden with sinners? If so why is it better?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to do my premed and do anesthesiology.

Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington.

We often vacation in Spokane, Seattle-Tacoma areas and find it affordable since we have some disabilities and live on one income.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What's the difference between a Christian school and a normal school? Aren't Christian schools still ridden with sinners? If so why is it better?

If you can't understand the difference, no one could help you see it in an online forum.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Everyone is a sinner, and all colleges, like all people, have their flaws. The difference is that at Christian schools, you are more likely to meet people whose beliefs align with yours. Prayer is encouraged rather than scorned. There is more church involvement, so that means more opportunities for Bible studies and things of that nature. Also, many Christian colleges are small, so they have smaller class sizes, which many students prefer.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The normal, public, school, is not religious in orientation and most of the students are probably not going to be dedicated, practicing Christians. From what you wrote in the original post, I took it that you wanted to attend a college that is dedicated to Christian principles and/or run by a church or whatever denomination it is that you belong to.

The students in such a college would be much more of the sort you wanted to attend. In California, use Biola as an example. In Ohio, Cedarville. In Indiana, Taylor. In Virginia, Liberty U. Poke around online and you'll find many more. The fact is, though, that private schools are often more expensive.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One issue with public universities is the issue of state residency. Out of state costs are expensive. I don't know the details, but CA might have reciprocity with a few surrounding states to attend there with in-state costs. I'm in WI. As I recall, WI and MN students can attend public schools in either state at in-state cost. (At least this was true a few years ago.) You may have to live in that state and have a job for a year or two before qualifying for in-state costs. Each state has their own way of doing it.

One of my kids went to a Christian liberal arts college and liked it. Two of my kids went to a state university and liked it. They each got involved with one of the campus ministries and had some good Christian friends. I know people who've thrived spiritually in both environments.

As an aside. Our oldest (who went to the Christian school) went the traditional route of 4 years and taking loans. She just finished paying them off at age 30 and was living a very frugal lifestyle to do it. Our middle kid went as an art major for 2 years and then decided not to finish. She lived at home (we didn't charge her) and worked a factory job for about a year and half and paid off her loans. Our youngest went for 2 years (english major) and then wasn't sure what she wanted to do. She lived at home (we didn't charge) and worked at Subway for 3 years. She paid off the first 2 years of loans and then started putting money in the bank to finish school. She went back to school, graduated with 3.997 GPA (1 B as I recall), and no debt and money in the bank. We didn't charge either of the girls because they were putting all their earnings into the bank and not spending it. It wasn't much of a drain on us and being debt-free at age 25 is a nice start in adult life. It might be possible that doing something nontraditional like working and saving up money or other things might make it possible to graduate with less debt than most people end up with.

Upvote 0

Conker

Jun 28, 2017
California
✟15,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington.

We often vacation in Spokane, Seattle-Tacoma areas and find it affordable since we have some disabilities and live on one income.
I'm in Washington right now, and there seems to be alot of liberals I'm not sure if I'd want to go there but if it's cheap I'd go.

• Prayers
Upvote 0