Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What's been on my mind today is prayer. We are commanded to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17). Prayer is such a regular part of my life that it is almost as automatic as breathing, but I have an issue when it comes to praying for myself. I can pray for others and I feel God's love and providential care for them and I know He hears. But when I pray for myself I feel guilty, even selfish sometimes.

Has anyone else ever felt that way? How do you combat that feeling and is it wrong to pray for yourself all the time? When does it becomes selfish or self-serving? When does it cease to honor God? How do you know when you are praying within His will? It seems the more I study, the less I know or am sure of.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

If they like astronomy.
Otherwise, the purpose of an avatar is to reflect your person to the people online.
I'm telling people that I love Physics, particularly astronomy. And I love Neptune.

What you are telling the world with your avatar is...

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What's been on my mind today is prayer. We are commanded to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17). Prayer is such a regular part of my life that it is almost as automatic as breathing, but I have an issue when it comes to praying for myself. I can pray for others and I feel God's love and providential care for them and I know He hears. But when I pray for myself I feel guilty, even selfish sometimes.

Has anyone else ever felt that way? How do you combat that feeling and is it wrong to pray for yourself all the time? When does it becomes selfish or self-serving? When does it cease to honor God? How do you know when you are praying within His will? It seems the more I study, the less I know or am sure of.
To me it's just a matter of conscience . I pray a lot for myself because I often have big stressors. But I won't pray for certain things, I make sure my desires are right first.

God's our Father Leo. He wants you to ask Him for good things, like relief, or peace, joy, etc. Or prayer for the ability to serve Christ more, and other more selfless prayers. Self is not always selfish though... but there can be too much self so it's just your own call.

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟188,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't think it's wrong or selfish to pray for yourself. I think it's a problem if you only ever pray when you want something from God and you never try to have fellowship with him in prayer. That doesn't seem to be the case in your situation:)

My thought is that we can follow the example of the Our Father. First we pray for God's kingdom to be established and then for the provision of our earthly needs.

I also think that if we are constantly praying for direction and blessings, that he will correct us or nudge us into a better direction if our prayers aren't in accordance to his will. It's just my thoughts, but I don't think regular prayer can ever be a bad thing. Even if we don't start in the best state, we will get into a better spiritual state quicker through prayer.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they like astronomy.
Otherwise, the purpose of an avatar is to reflect your person to the people online. So what you are telling the world with your avatar is...

I'm lead singer in an all women christian band?

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
OMM: I feel like it's my duty to wake Singles up from this weird coma it's suddenly in. Did I kill it with the awards or something? lol
Keep fightin the good fight aha. It's not you, promise. :satisfied:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To me it's just a matter of conscience . I pray a lot for myself because I often have big stressors. But I won't pray for certain things, I make sure my desires are right first.

God's our Father Leo. He wants you to ask Him for good things, like relief, or peace, joy, etc. Or prayer for the ability to serve Christ more, and other more selfless prayers. Self is not always selfish though... but there can be too much self so it's just your own call.
Thank you, Cody. That helps put things into perspective a bit better for me.

I routinely pray for the things you mentioned (peace, joy, etc.), but it's when I pray for more specific things it just seems a bit selfish for some reason.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think it's wrong or selfish to pray for yourself. I think it's a problem if you only ever pray when you want something from God and you never try to have fellowship with him in prayer. That doesn't seem to be the case in your situation:)

My thought is that we can follow the example of the Our Father. First we pray for God's kingdom to be established and then for the provision of our earthly needs.

I also think that if we are constantly praying for direction and blessings, that he will correct us or nudge us into a better direction if our prayers aren't in accordance to his will. It's just my thoughts, but I don't think regular prayer can ever be a bad thing. Even if we don't start in the best state, we will get into a better spiritual state quicker through prayer.
I was just studying the Lord's Prayer not so long ago actually.

Like I said, I have no issue with praying for God's kingdom and glory and for the sake of others, but it just feels slightly wrong when I try and pray for myself and whatever is going on in my life at the moment. Sometimes I can pray and I feel a weight lifted from me and I feel peace and other times it feels like there's a block there that won't let the feeling of peace pass through. It's strange when it happens and I'm not sure if it's just me or if I've somehow drifted away from God momentarily.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I pray a lot I guess, even for myself and stuff I'm going through. If I'm actually praying for something I "want" I also pray "if it is God's will" and I pray for his direction and wisdom. But I'm often praying for myself and others and will say if it is God's will. Because I know that God knows what is best, even more than I know. Being honest is important as well. If you are feeling something, and just smothering it because "oh maybe God doesn't really care about that", that's not good because he actually does care. I think @CodyFaith made a good point to use your conscience on this. If you feel your prayers are too selfish, work on attitude. However I think it is good to pray for yourself not just for others. Pray about everything. :)
Myself I tend to pray throughout my day or as things cross my mind, but I want to work on having focused time in prayer. I don't do that a lot. But I think it's good to have time set aside and just pray for people not just as they cross my mind.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This morning is weird....blah. :ahah:

OMM: I feel like it's my duty to wake Singles up from this weird coma it's suddenly in. Did I kill it with the awards or something? lol

Oh girl, it is not you at all.

@leothelioness Hang in there, girl. I'll be praying for you. I know how difficult it can be to struggle with feeling guilty about things we shouldn't feel guilty about. You shouldn't feel guilty when you pray about something that is affecting your life, that you need, etc. The Lord already knows all about it but he wants us to take that to him. I hope that makes sense....honestly I haven't had my coffee yet and so my train of thought is a little fuzzy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.