What's makes them different? In your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forjesus

Humble Servant
Jan 15, 2002
va
Visit site
✟2,344.00
Faith
Christian
Why do you think people put so much difference in what denomination a person is? I mean what is the difference if we all Love the Lord Jesus Christ and try to live in a way to serve him. Is it because churches worship at different times during the week? Is it because some believe in speaking in tounges? Is it because some have old fashion feet washings, which I thought was very humbling when I particapted. Is it just because all churches are not called Baptist? What about the Church of Christ, or The Church of God, or Freewill Baptist, or Primitive Baptist, or Old Regular Baptist? I think we as people of the flesh stress to much over what name is on the building, A MAN MADE BUILDING. God does not dwell in man made houses but in the hearts of believers. I have heard of churches who would ask that a person get re-baptized before they could join their church or particapate in their communion. I think we as a people put to many human rules into worshiping our God. The Bible doesen't tell us to be Baptist, Catholic, or anything else. It tells us to TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR AND LEAN NOT UNTO YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING, BUT IN ALL THY WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WILL DIRECT THY PATHS. I believe if you examined most church covenants of different churches they would say pretty much the same thing but worded different. I was Baptized in a Frewwill Baptist church but when we all get to heaven I really don't think that will matter. God Bless

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't put much emphasis on denominations. I tend to group with Southern Baptists, MJs or Bible Churches because overall in my opinion they get the closest to correct Biblical doctrine. But I believe, as does my current Baptist church, very strongly in cross-denominational ministry. Unity in the majors, liberty in the minors, and in all things love. It's a great principle to govern your walk by.

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

Seeker of the Truth

Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I like how the early Church ( AD 90 - 300), didn't care about all these "requirements," they just lived it!

I think if we would stop acting as if our denomination is the only way, or just having the "right' attitude, a lot of people would stop judging Christians.

We seriously need to take a step back and stop living like the world. What's the difference between a Christian and a non-Christians today? Absolutely nothing! We all watch the same stuff, have the same jobs, preach the same things... What happened to separating yourself from ungodliness?

I'm not saying that we should cut ourselves off from the world, if we did that we would have no influence on non-Christian lives. I'm saying that if we don't glorify God in everything we do (school, work, 'play') then we ought not be doing it. Why? because, we're being judged as if we're not Christians. Non-Christians look at us like we're the same and truth is, we're not! We should be helping non-Christians out and taking care of them, but we shouldn't be acting like them.

Sorry for the rant but, it's true.

Upvote 0
R

rainbowpromises

I am just as cautious of Baptist Churches as other denominations. In fact in our area when a denomination is mentioned, you can pinpoint right away what type of preaching you will get. However when it comes to Baptist you have to be cautious.

My insight often comes from the kids. The other night at Awana I asked the question of kids in grade 3-6, "Put your hand up if you read your Bible every day." First thing I can say is the kids were honest.
Represented was two different Baptist Churches, a Catholic Church, Vineyard Church, an Alliance Church and several kids that have never attended church. One child put their hand up out of 15 and that child was from our church. However in this case, fruit was what I was looking for, not denomination.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am just as cautious of Baptist Churches as other denominations. In fact in our area when a denomination is mentioned, you can pinpoint right away what type of preaching you will get. However when it comes to Baptist you have to be cautious. quote]

I keep seeing this quote in some form or another from several people. As a Baptist, I don't get it.

I attend a SBC church in Houston that is very well known. I grew up in a few different SBC churchs and very little happened in these churches that was unGodly.

Is Houston so isolated that I do not know about these horrible Baptist churches?

Upvote 0
R

rainbowpromises

I am just as cautious of Baptist Churches as other denominations. In fact in our area when a denomination is mentioned, you can pinpoint right away what type of preaching you will get. However when it comes to Baptist you have to be cautious. quote]

I keep seeing this quote in some form or another from several people. As a Baptist, I don't get it.

I attend a SBC church in Houston that is very well known. I grew up in a few different SBC churchs and very little happened in these churches that was unGodly.

Is Houston so isolated that I do not know about these horrible Baptist churches?

Here are where my views on this subject come from:

• My daughter moved to the next town and wanted to find a closer church to attend. She uses transit to get around. She went to an Independant Baptist Church really close to her workplace. She actually fit in to that church even though it is very legalistic. Her hair length did come into question though.
  • I attend an Independant Baptist Church and we have been shunned by several in the area because even though we use KJV, we are not KJVO.
  • One of the ladies in our congregation has been wondering why we have not kicked her out. Her and her family have been attending for 4 years now. Possible reasons she sited was an interracial family, Bible version, dress and hair length.
  • Our pastor and his family have travelled to many Independant Baptist Churches during their deputation. They confirm the above legalistic tendencies as well as completely not following anything scriptural.
I remember my grandma's whispered words to me when she spoke of this church I attend now. "They don't do like it is in the Bible, but they are the closest I can find." I think she was refering to praying in thee and thou language.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Here are where my views on this subject come from:

• My daughter moved to the next town and wanted to find a closer church to attend. She uses transit to get around. She went to an Independant Baptist Church really close to her workplace. She actually fit in to that church even though it is very legalistic. Her hair length did come into question though.
  • I attend an Independant Baptist Church and we have been shunned by several in the area because even though we use KJV, we are not KJVO.
  • One of the ladies in our congregation has been wondering why we have not kicked her out. Her and her family have been attending for 4 years now. Possible reasons she sited was an interracial family, Bible version, dress and hair length.
  • Our pastor and his family have travelled to many Independant Baptist Churches during their deputation. They confirm the above legalistic tendencies as well as completely not following anything scriptural.
I remember my grandma's whispered words to me when she spoke of this church I attend now. "They don't do like it is in the Bible, but they are the closest I can find." I think she was refering to praying in thee and thou language.
Those aren't churches. They are clubs that you need to fit into.

I am in a Southern Baptist Church and I have never had to face any of this. You would think that if your pastor was the president of the convention for many terms there would be even more legalism than normal and there isn't.

I can tell you I would be asked to leave and I would have no issue with that. Especially if it was over following a sinful man or following God.

Upvote 0

VindicatedPoet

Feb 2, 2007
✟7,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree. My blog empasis' that. I find it annoying. It's a personal walk and lets live in fellowship together! Any disagreements lets forget about it...

But to answer your question... It's funny as a christian we are to put off our human nature...

but the separation is because of human nature... lol people are so full of pride that its pathetic... and being human they want to be right, so they'll push what is right for them unto other people...

So I guess human nature still rules over our christianity even though we were given the power and freedom over it... too bad very few take it....

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is disciples of Christ we are to make (Matthew 28:19) not disciples of ourselves, our churches or our denominations. Granted that in discipling we can hardly avoid transmitting our own truth perspectives. Yet we ourselves must keep in mind, and those we disciple, that truth is greater than our understanding of it. A.W. Tozer

A church is an assembly of believers and is made up of real spiritual people. The Scriptures teach every believers to be committed to a local church where he or she is loved and cared for, instructed in the things Christ commanded, encouraged to grow spiritually, and serving Christ effectively. I must have visited over 200 different churches in my life time. Visited almost all denominations and non-denominational churches. No matter what denomination I go to, God will direct me if I aware of it or not. I am learning that God will always lead me to His providential circumstances for my own good, in His will and for His glory. God knows me so well that He will do His providential actions at the very moment of my need according to His will. For the longest time, I thought I have planned and executed my life all by myself but really never aware that my life have always been guided by God.

The bottom line is this: Nothing holy and genuine will be done in someone's life until their will is surrendered in active obedience to the Holy Spirit. This is between the believer and God. As long as our conscience is clear and our heart is pure before God, don't be concerned with issues. In Romans 14:5 "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." 1 Corinthians 10:28-29 "both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake, the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" There are many movements because there are Christians who will follow their conscience, feelings, beliefs and personal worship preferences. This is between God and each individual believer. There are different preferences of beliefs and different style of worship. Some prefer one worship style while other prefer another worship style. The key is that we must worship God in Spirit with other believers regardless our "personal" opinion or loyalty to our movements. I hate getting tied to movements and denominations since I have been in so many of them over the years. I am a CHRISTIAN first. Debates like this are getting OLD. Its okay to discuss but to play games who is right and who is wrong. That's pride. We need to start respecting other's people beliefs and learn to agree to disagree. I just want good debates and agree to disagree if needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.