What's Happening to the Sun? Could its unusual behavior herald a new ice age?

canukian

Jan 23, 2009
canada
✟3,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For about 50 years from roughly 1650 to 1700, the Sun took a break from its typical sunspot activity. That phase of solar rest coincided with what we now refer to as "The Little Ice Age" -- a period of cooling on the Earth that resulted in bitterly cold winters, particularly in Europe and North America. Scientists attribute the Little Ice Age to two main causes: increased volcanic activity and reduced solar activity.

the sun hashad no sunspots for 3 or 4 years.

full acticle here>>>>>> What's Happening to the Sun? | Popular Science

adent

Sep 19, 2008
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
global warming in your dreams.

canukian, did you read the rest of the article, or did you intentionally omit this:

According to Woods, even a smaller solar cycle could induce some cooling on Earth. "Not enough to offset the greenhouse gas global warming effect," he said, "but enough to potentially slow it down for a few years." The solar cycle's effect on global temperatures is only about 1/10 of a degree, whereas the greenhouse effect over the past 30 years has been about a full one degree change, Woods said.

You're behaving just like another cog in the denialist machine, here to seed doubt when the rest of the world, and more importantly those in power and those with influence have accepted the science. And no you're no Gailileo, he was up against an ignorant heirarchy, you're up against the scientific method.

(And didn't you read the memo that the fossil fuel industry's scientists told their executives back in the 90's that the science showing that climate change is caused by our emissions cannot be refuted?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I found the news story interesting. And yes, none of us here are scientists, right? So, like me, we're all pretty much, just trying to figure this out.

But, what it comes down to, for me anyway, is that in this case "knowledge is" not "power". We, none of us, have the power to do anything to change this, whether we know if it's a global "cooling" or a "warming". If the earth changes dramatically, and it can no longer sustain us, it's our time to go...so we go. What choice do we have?

And as I've read (I'll reiterate, I'm not a scientist (as if anyone would think I was :D ) this isn't the first time the earth has come to, or to the brink of, one cataclysmic event or other. So... we can discuss and argue it till we're blue in the face. But, when all is said and done...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
K

Kharak

Well, I found the news story interesting. And yes, none of us here are scientists, right? So, like me, we're all pretty much, just trying to figure this out.
I am not an engineer, but I know how my car works. The key is citing the research and consensus more than individuals. The Max Planck Society has repeatedly rebutted the "solar activity causes global warming" conjecture. This is not beating a dead horse: This is taking the dead horse, blasting it with dynamite and taking the remains, mix them into a slushy and feed it to another horse which is then beat that horse up and repeating the process. The global warming denial crowd and the "Solar activity causes global warming" crowd are the modern equivalent of geocentrists who are trying to argue that retrograde movement across the sky is the result of multiple "spheres".

But, what it comes down to, for me anyway, is that in this case "knowledge is" not "power". We, none of us, have the power to do anything to change this, whether we know if it's a global "cooling" or a "warming". If the earth changes dramatically, and it can no longer sustain us, it's our time to go...so we go. What choice do we have?
The earth is changing dramatically because of us, and we are in a position to alter that change to an acceptable level while more long term solutions off-planet are pursued. As Gerard O'Neill had argue, planets are not the best place for a species that's liable to ruin them. We have a choice: Take responsibility for future generations or use those resources to fuel the fires of war and conflict.

And as I've read (I'll reiterate, I'm not a scientist (as if anyone would think I was :D ) this isn't the first time the earth has come to, or to the brink of, one cataclysmic event or other. So... we can discuss and argue it till we're blue in the face. But, when all is said and done...
There were once people who argued that vaccinations were useless and some went as far to declare them heretical.

Who would have thought that humanity could wipe small pox from the face of the earth a century ago?

Upvote 0

adent

Sep 19, 2008
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We, none of us, have the power to do anything to change this, whether we know if it's a global "cooling" or a "warming". If the earth changes dramatically, and it can no longer sustain us, it's our time to go...so we go. What choice do we have?

Fair comments, but they seem to be at odds with your signature. Can you not lead by example to inspire?

If you drop your carbon emissions, either by getting a more fuel efficient car, avoiding the car when cycling or walking is a valid alternative, installing insulation in your house, or any of the many other ways of personally reducing your own emissions, will you not inspire at least some close to you to do the same?

At the least avoid voting for a political party which has done just about everything to thwart efforts to address climate change.

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair comments, but they seem to be at odds with your signature. Can you not lead by example to inspire?

If you drop your carbon emissions, either by getting a more fuel efficient car, avoiding the car when cycling or walking is a valid alternative, installing insulation in your house, or any of the many other ways of personally reducing your own emissions, will you not inspire at least some close to you to do the same?

At the least avoid voting for a political party which has done just about everything to thwart efforts to address climate change.
Well, it's fair that in putting something that inspires me in my signature, that it would make me vulnerable to examination and critique, as I suppose I am, as a staff member on this site. But, I assure you, as with everyone on this planet (who's worth their salt), I do my best, and fall terribly short . Every trial is a lesson, and every harsh opinion or unfair judgment a chance to maintain my humility and encourage me to try harder to do better.

That being said... I recycle, I don't drive when I can walk, I buy organic, I use cloth bags when I recycle, I use only those more expensive eco-friendly light bulbs when I need them, and use candles instead most every day . Yes, that's not enough.

Thank you for pointing that out.

My point however, was that "talk" is cheap. And in the end, talking isn't going to change the condition of the sun or our planet. If it's our time to go... we can kick and scream all we like. We can pick apart each other, if it makes us feel better. But, it doesn't change anything. I think we humans, are quite an arrogant species. We think the universe revolves around us. But, as history shows...the planet will most likely endure, after our time has past.

Now, can we get back to the subject? :)

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

We think the universe revolves around us. But, as history shows...the planet will most likely endure, after our time has past.

We're not concerned with the planet; this is not a bad Michael Crichton novel. We are rightly concerned with our own survival. The planet, if anything, is trying to utilize us as a food source for novel organisms created by our ascent.

Again though, there were many who said small pox could never be destroyed. Hah!

Upvote 0