St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm making mexicali rice and beans...trying to copy a dish from one of my fav local places. I'm a vegetarian, btw....so I make lots of rice and bean dishes.

What's your favorite home cooked meal? I think mine is my stuffed peppers with mashed potatoes on the side.

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My hubby makes the best steaks in the whole world. :p He is an excellent cook.

One of his "signature" dishes is this:

halloweenandstuff2009020.jpg

It is a pork-butt with one of his homemade honey/BBQ glazes. It is to die for.

This is what I like to cook:

halloweenandstuff2009034.jpg

PIE! This is one I made for Thanksgiving

Upvote 0

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WOW, MoonKitty, you're making me very hungry! That all looks so good!

Bhopeful, I was a vegetarian for a number of years, but not anymore. I do like all those rice and bean dishes, there is so much you can actually do with that and it's all SOOO good for you. I have a whole bunch of vegetarian cookbooks, do you use them?

For my dinner tonight we're having pork chops with bbq sauce and a huge salad. I love salad, the more stuff I can throw in there, the better. Fortunately, my husband likes it, too.

For my favorite meal, I guess it depends what I'm in the mood for. I do a lot of Italian cooking because I'm, well, Italian. I remember my grandmother and dad making these big extravaganzas when I was a kid. The gravy must be done completely from scratch!

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fuddruckers......a rare night out. I need to spend some time with my nephew.

Last night I cooked spagetti (added lightly fried kielbasa to go with hamburger in the sauce) and a healthy salad with lettuce, cabbage, carrots, celery red onion, green onion, radishes, green beans, and snap peas

tomorrow night I'm making homemade potato soup, homemade bread....and leftover salad (will probably add to it)

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now I'm in the mood for a huge salad,lol.

I don't use many cookbooks...just the internet. I actually don't like to cook at all...but I like to eat,lol. And I avoid prepackaged meals and foods. So....I cook.

We live in an area with a large Bosnian population so one of our favorite take-out places is a Bosnian bar and grill.

Dori...you're Italian? I love Italian and fortunately, we have a nice Italian area in the city with lots of great restaurants. Gnocchi in a cream sauce with peas and mushrooms...heavenly!

Upvote 0

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Italian Hill! Yay! We went there once just for the experience. My sister and her DH go there at least once a year to get cannolli's, real olives, bread, mozzarella, etc, etc. Yes, I'm Italian with a bit of Irish thrown in. My husband is 100% Italian, though. (What a hunk, raaaaaaarrrr!!!) Yeah, I avoid most prepackaged foods, too, it's almost like against my religion or something. I like looking up recipes on the internet, too, but I also like to lounge in bed with a cookbook or two. (In addition, b/c of my job, I get tired to death of sitting at the computer, aargh!) Wow, I'd love to try some Bosnian food, don't think I've ever had that. What exactly does it consist of??

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bosnian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My dh and kids are meat eaters...they love cevapi..a minced meat...but in general, they like how the meat is spiced. They love lamb..and Bosnians make great gyros. They make really great bread in general. We have quite a few Bosnian bakeries and their bread is dense and delicious. Goulash is another favorite of theirs. For me, the burek! I usually get a burek with a salad...they do salads that resemble greek salads but with spicy olives and banana peppers. I love the spinach and cheese burek. It's like a stuffed,roled pastry...so yummy. Almost all the Bosnain restuarants have baklava on the dessert menu..and loads of cakes.

If you are in the area...pm me and I'll send you some places to try. Most are in south city/county....just a few minutes from the Arch.

My first job was as a bus girl at a restaurant on the Hill...Lou Boccardi's. It's a 3 story place so they had 3 bus girls...me and my two best friends. We used to clear the tables and stash the leftover chianti in the busser area for after hours,lol.

Reactions: dorig59
Upvote 0
B

believetheunseen

I made breaded pork chops from my easy betty crocker cook book. I tend to use it A LOT, if it's going to take longer than an hour, I tend to shy away from making it! I'm of the persuasion that if it takes longer to make than eat, it's not worth making!
My specialty dish (ha, if you can call it that) is a roast with potatoes and carrots in the crock pot and homemade chicken noodle soup.
Dorig, you mentioned chinese and I had to give my husband a HUGE shout out. He ROCKS the WOK! His fried rice is awesome! Now I'm hungry again...

Reactions: dorig59
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tonight a lady from out church brought over a keish, bread, muffins and salad . . . . It was kind of funny, the church likes to do that for families with new borns & they didn't get started til he was a month old. That is a godsend though, because we've been sick & not feeling much like cooking. Two bouts of nothing unusual in the past two weeks. Right now it is my turn to have fever and sore throat . . . keish is pretty easy on the throat & I am very thankful not to have to cook tonight.

Upvote 0

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I made breaded pork chops from my easy betty crocker cook book. I tend to use it A LOT, if it's going to take longer than an hour, I tend to shy away from making it! I'm of the persuasion that if it takes longer to make than eat, it's not worth making!
My specialty dish (ha, if you can call it that) is a roast with potatoes and carrots in the crock pot and homemade chicken noodle soup.
Dorig, you mentioned chinese and I had to give my husband a HUGE shout out. He ROCKS the WOK! His fried rice is awesome! Now I'm hungry again...

Hey, I think the crockpot is one of the world's greatest inventions, right up there with the wheel, the napkin, and Mom's apple pie! I use it often.

What kinds of Chinese does he make in the wok, anything in particular? Yum!

Upvote 0

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tonight a lady from out church brought over a keish, bread, muffins and salad . . . . It was kind of funny, the church likes to do that for families with new borns & they didn't get started til he was a month old. That is a godsend though, because we've been sick & not feeling much like cooking. Two bouts of nothing unusual in the past two weeks. Right now it is my turn to have fever and sore throat . . . keish is pretty easy on the throat & I am very thankful not to have to cook tonight.

That's very nice! Hope you all are feeling better VERY soon. Maybe some chicken soup would do.

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Jul 17, 2009
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I make a lot of stratas. They are like quiches only easier...no crust!

My favorite is cheese,spinach and mushroom. You just saute mushrooms, onion and garlic in a pan. Add fresh or well drained/thawed frozen spinach and season. In a bowl you beat some eggs and add a bit of milk...stir in cheese....pour over the saute mix and then stick the whole thing in the oven for @20 min. It's one pot...and so easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.