Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ben johnson said:
I like to grind my own hamburger. "Save-A-Lot" has a bin for "discounted old meat" --- have gotten really good specials, never gotten sick. I get "stew meat" or cheaper meat (roast is good), trim ALL the fat off and use a 19th century grinder. The meat is EXTREMELY lean, but very dry. I do use bread in the meat loaf, but PICKLE JUICE (that you normally throw away) is great, dill OR sweet for varied flavor, also throw in a raw EGG. Meat loaf always turns out great...

Uhmmm, keep the cat or dog away from under the grinder, unless they need a bath anyway...
Where in the sam hill did you find a 19th century meat grinder, Ben johnson? :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

Ketus

Nov 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
✟7,620.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm very excited! I bought a slow cooker!! I made stew on Tuesday, and tonight I'm making "Chicken Chili".

2 lbs Chicken
2 cans stewed, diced tomatoes
(I used jalepano flavored ones)
1 can kidney beans
16 oz salsa (hot or mild, your preference)

Dice chicken, combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. I plan on adding diced peppers and some fresh peas the last hour because we like vegetables. I'll probably serve this over rice instead of a soup.

I plan on having a lot of fun with my new toy. When I called and asked my fiance if I could buy it, he said only if I put a Christmas card on it saying "From Carl, To Christine"! Everyone have a great day!

Upvote 0

Ketus

Nov 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
✟7,620.00
Faith
Protestant
Miss Shelby said:
Okay tonight it's beef stew in the crock pot with bisckets. Is that you spell bisckets?

Anway what do I need, stew beef, cream of mushroom soup and maybe a package of unmixed onion soup?

Michelle
I used Mccormick beef stew seasoning in mine. I also bought the frozen mixed stew vegetables because it was so much quicker than fresh ones. If you use frozen vegetables, you can put the all in frozen at once with your browned meat. If you're using fresh vegetables, start with the potatoes, and put the rest of the more delicate vegetables in about 2 hours before the stew is done.

It always tastes the best if you buy good stew meat, coat it lightly in flour, and fry it up. Then be generous with the drippings so the gravy is thick.

Enjoy your meal!!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ketus said:
I used Mccormick beef stew seasoning in mine. I also bought the frozen mixed stew vegetables because it was so much quicker than fresh ones. If you use frozen vegetables, you can put the all in frozen at once with your browned meat. If you're using fresh vegetables, start with the potatoes, and put the rest of the more delicate vegetables in about 2 hours before the stew is done.

It always tastes the best if you buy good stew meat, coat it lightly in flour, and fry it up. Then be generous with the drippings so the gravy is thick.

Enjoy your meal!!
Thanks!

Upvote 0

MsDe

oldrooster's sweetie
Oct 16, 2003
The armpit of the Salt Lake Valley. :)
Visit site
✟8,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Time to experiment on hubby again, this time with a One Skillet Port Supper from the AllRecipes website.

Ingredients:

4 pork chops (It's just the two of us so I'm using 2 chops)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt (I'll use just a pinch, we don't need the added sodium)
3 potatoes, quartered (I'm gonna use 4)
4 small carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces (I'll use more; veggies are good :))
I'm also going to add 2 onions, quartered - we love onions and I don't think they'll alter the recipe too much.

In a large skillet, brown pork chops over medium heat for about 4 to 6 minutes each side. Pour off fat. Add the tomato soup, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, potatoes, and carrots. Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

Edited to add: Well, it was different. ^_^ I'm giving it a plus for easy to make, but it's not something I'll make again soon. Might be a good thing for the crock pot, though.... hmmmm....:idea: Just change the tomato soup to cream of mushroom soup.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
MsDe said:
Time to experiment on hubby again, this time with a One Skillet Port Supper from the AllRecipes website.

Ingredients:

4 pork chops (It's just the two of us so I'm using 2 chops)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt (I'll use just a pinch, we don't need the added sodium)
3 potatoes, quartered (I'm gonna use 4)
4 small carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces (I'll use more; veggies are good :))
I'm also going to add 2 onions, quartered - we love onions and I don't think they'll alter the recipe too much.

In a large skillet, brown pork chops over medium heat for about 4 to 6 minutes each side. Pour off fat. Add the tomato soup, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, potatoes, and carrots. Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

Edited to add: Well, it was different. ^_^ I'm giving it a plus for easy to make, but it's not something I'll make again soon. Might be a good thing for the crock pot, though.... hmmmm....:idea: Just change the tomato soup to cream of mushroom soup.
That sounds good.. I am going to try that.

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mama got a double wide, mondo, gargantuan 5 quart crock pot for Christmas!

:D

• 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts halves
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups converted rice
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper or pimiento
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (use bouillon, canned, or base)
  • 1 can cream of celery soup, low fat
  • 1 can artichokes, quartered and drained
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Combine flour, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture then brown in the hot oil. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker/Crock Pot. In the hot skillet, saute bell pepper, scallions, and mushrooms for about 2 minutes; add chicken broth and soup, stirring to combine thoroughly; pour over chicken. Stir in rice and artichokes; cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low.
Serves 6.

Michelle

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We had one of those hickory smoked spiral hams for Christmas and I really wanted to make a ham and potato soup with the ham bone but couldn't find a recipe that I liked (I don't like beans)
So I made up this one...and it turned out terrific!
Ham and Potato Soup (Mine)

1 Ham Bone

Potatoes diced and boiled with salt

Half and Half

Butter

Garlic

Onion

Boil potatoes, sauté onion and garlic in butter

Place in soup pot, potatoes, onion and garlic and ham bone

Cover with half and half

Add pepper 1TBS flour

Cover and simmer, till soupy

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Smilin said:
Awesome...
Big enough to slow roast a fresh killed possum...
Would you like me to send you one?:confused:
Do you have a recipe for possum? Because I don't need you to send me one, I have one trapped under my deck as we speak....just need to know the right spices. :D

Michelle

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here yah go:

Possum Recipes
We don't encourage the routine killing of opossum for food. However, it is considered acceptable to cook and eat any possum found lying dead along the road after recently being hit by a car.
In military survival training we are taught to never kill a possum just for the fun of it because they are one of the few animals in the wild that a man can catch with his bare hands-well, you'll need a stick or a rock too. (Porcupines and snakes are in similar category.) Of course, if you really need the meat for your family, that's a whole 'nother story.
Mothman Possum Stew
1 possum, cut-up
1/2 cup oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, sliced
4 carrots, cut in thick slices8 ounces tomato juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
10 drops Tabasco
salt and pepper to taste
5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced

Brown possum in oil in a dutch oven or heavy skillet. Add all ingredients except potatoes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add potatoes. Simmer another 30 minutes.

Roasted Sassafras Possum
1 skinned and dressed possum cut-up
3 cups sliced carrots
6 cups onions, quartered
6 cups potatoes, quartered
1 clove garlic minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
3 cups water
salt and pepper

Note: Ramps can be substituted for onions.

Place the cut up possum and vegetables in a ovenproof iron pot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on size of possum).

Please note there is no sassafras in the recipe; it gets its name because in Sassafras, Mason County this is considered an ethnic food.

Coon Hound Possum Gravy
1 fat possum cut-up
cooking oil or grease
flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 onion, chopped and sauteed
1/2 cup sherry or home-made wine
pinch of oregano
pinch of rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Fry possum in large pan or dutch oven. Fish out possum pieces and feed to hound-dog. Add water and stir up crunchies. Thicken with flour and water. Mix remaining ingredients and add to pan. Simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve gravy over biscuits.

West Virginia-Mex Possum Stew
1 lean possum cut-up
flour
cooking oil
1 cup chopped onions or ramps
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (4 ounces) hot chili peppers
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces red wine
1 can (15 ounces) canned tomato sauce
1 can beef broth

Dredge meat in flour to coat. Brown pieces in hot skillet in cooking oil. Add remaining ingredients. Stir and cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring occasionally. Serve with cornbread or rice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
Whoooooo Doggy.... Where were you BEFORE Christmas with these?

:D

Michelle

yes...nothing like taking a slow roasted possum to the company
Christmas Dinner...is there?

Last year, I took a cooked whale blubber dish recipe that Pete Harcoff
(different group of people, and I knew my contract was ending after XMAS)

SOOOOO...I thought I'd feed them something interesting....:D

I just noticed your thread...now I can go dig out all my personal
freaky recipes and troll your thread....:D

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
sweetkitty said:
We had one of those hickory smoked spiral hams for Christmas and I really wanted to make a ham and potato soup with the ham bone but couldn't find a recipe that I liked (I don't like beans)
So I made up this one...and it turned out terrific!
Ham and Potato Soup (Mine)

1 Ham Bone

Potatoes diced and boiled with salt

Half and Half

Butter

Garlic

Onion

Boil potatoes, sauté onion and garlic in butter

Place in soup pot, potatoes, onion and garlic and ham bone

Cover with half and half

Add pepper 1TBS flour

Cover and simmer, till soupy
That sounds awesome, sweetkitty. Thanks. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
  • 5 to 6 green peppers
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large can tomato sauce
  • 1cup instant rice
  • seasonings to taste
Preparation

Cut each pepper in half. Remove core, seeds, and white membrane. In a small bowl, combine beef, onion,egg,4 oz tomato sauce and rice. Mix well. Fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Place in crockpot ,pepper side down, pour remaining tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover pot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Makes 5 to 6 servings.

Michelle

Upvote 0