• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What's All The Hype About Social Media?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by ※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※, Jul 9, 2020.

1. ※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※ Jesus is sweeter than macarons.

+70
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    I see some Christians around telling others to get rid of social media. Why is that? If someone decides on their own to get rid of it, that's alright. But they don't need to be told that, and what if they think it's all okay with God to have social media? I have a Tumblr, YouTube, Pinterest, DeviantArt, and, obviously, a Christian Forums account. I understand if there is inappropriate things on there, but that's not why I go to those platforms. If they are forced by others into removing their social media, isn't that legalism? Is there something wrong in and of itself regarding social media? What is going on?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jord Simcha

Jord Simcha Active Member

+519
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    Yeah, I don't think it's wrong in of itself either.

I don't use social media as much as a lot of people, but I find them useful at times, for sure, and in particular YouTube has helped my faith a lot.

3. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+8,241
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    A lot of it comes down to data-mining, the possibility of becoming a victim of cancel culture and the anti-Christian attitude inherent to the culture of a lot of tech companies. Those things along with the fact that many social networks arrange their algorithms in such a way as to show individual users content they are statistically likely to find offensive (in order to generate conflict) (and thereby generate ad revenue) shows how manipulative the companies are.

Thus, these types of Christians encourage others to break the cycle. There is data to suggest that deactivating one's Twitter can do wonder for one's mental health. If you require some kind of substantiation for that, well, look at the unhinged nonsense active Twitter users say.

The trend among a lot of Zoomers is stuff like IG, where stuff disappears after a while.

As for me, I see social networks as useful tools for evangelizing Protestants so I have a dummy Twitter account under a phony-baloney name which I use for tweeting out Catholic memes aimed at Protestant-leaning Christians. I never reply when others try to engage me on Twitter. I just send out memes, factoids, pro-Catholic quotes, etc. I spend probably ten minutes per day doing that. It's not much but it adds up.

4. JustRachel

JustRachel He welcomed me back! <3 Supporter

+747
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    For me social media distracts me from spending quiet time with God. I am obsessed with Facebook. I pray to do better and often wish it were gone altogether. There is so much unChristian stuff there.

5. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,990
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The people against it, probably don't want to deal with the questions that are on there due to their limitations.

If the Christians in their "bubble" are not on social media, then they won't need to deal with it anymore.

The Issue I had with social media when I quit it (Facebook) was the regurgitation cycle of all posts and ideas - and how fake everyone became like they were being digested inside a stomach.

Perhaps the reaction to this lead some to believe that it is demonic in nature, who can really say?

6. Junia

Junia Well-Known Member

+1,364
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    i find Facebook helpful to use to connect with my online church friends because churches still closed here

7. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,222
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    Er, you couldn't send this stuff to the Chinese CPC, could ya?