• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Whatever happened to Truth?

Discussion in 'Congregation-specific Ethics' started by T.S.Bland, Oct 1, 2017.

1. T.S.Bland

T.S.Bland Love God Love People

+86
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    What happened to truth..
    The Renaissance..the birth of humanism. It switched positions for God and man; instead of God being the measure of all things, man became the measure. The humanist were sure that man could solve every problem.
    For awhile these "learned thinkers" attempted to deliver the truth, and yet the truth-the truth without God, remained elusive.
    In time people came to the conclusion that there is no truth.
    Modern man, whether he realizes it or not, is governed in large measure by this pessimism about truth..
    Postmodernism, belief that there are no absolutes, including truth. People construct their on "stories" or narratives, what is true for one person might not be true for another.
    Now truth is relative to each person.
    This is exemplified in today's dismissive, "Whatever."
    People don't care about anything so long as it does not hurt them or personally affect them.
    When asked, "Is something true?" they respond, "Whatever!"

What are your thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. WilliamBo

WilliamBo Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,334
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Truth is the new ''hate-speech.'' Calling evil good and good evil.

Truth comes from God. The scriptures say everything we need to know. There is no other truth.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ Devoted to Truth Supporter

+10,754
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Truth is Christ. When Pilate asked what is truth he didn`t realize that truth was standing right in front of him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+15,066
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There's a lot of truth to what you say.

Another aspect of this is the fact that the term 'humanism' can be used in two rather distinct ways.

One is the way you have used it, to refer to secular humanism.

The other is its use referring to the study of ancient languages. (In some Scottish universities, this is what 'humanity' still means; and at Oxford 'Lit.hum' refers to this also.) During the Renaissance or revival of learning, which the Protestant Reformers drew on very substantially, the methodology of establishing we sourced texts - which Valla and Erasmus others developed - proved to be a great benefit to the Bible translators who successfully demonstrated in many languages what the original Greek and Hebrew said, rather than rely on the idea of an ecclesiastically approved version - by which ecclesiastical approval (or otherwise) soon came to mean more - practically speaking - than the integrity of the text itself.

Today's 'fundamentalists', 'evangelicals', 'conservative Christians', etc., draw very heavily on the methodologies of Protestant Reformers and Renaissance scholars.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Andy centek

Andy centek Seeker of Deep Truth Supporter

+86
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married

6. Andy centek

Andy centek Seeker of Deep Truth Supporter

+86
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    TRUTH: Jesus was asked: "What is truth?"
    Indeed, what is truth. The only truth is Elohim, God The Creator. That leaves all of what ordinary men say and teaching requiring close reading to see if the writings do indeed contain truth: What is truth?
    Truth comes from God through the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ taught the truth of what was given to Him from His Father."I have given Them Your word"; said He. He did not give the Jews His words! That statement opens up a deep study for those who understand what Jesus was really saying. How did He get the Father's words, where, and when?
    Whom did God send to the Jews? He sent the One who was to become Jesus Christ in the flesh, The anointed One of God.
    Consider what Jesus ask Peter closely: Whom say You I am? Peter said: You are Christ, The Son Of Man. Jesus then said Peter was blessed by understanding that!
    Consider this verse:
    Luke_3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
    Jesus was the son of Adam! Who was the son of God. This topic is being covered in my book which I am working on, and have been, for the last four months. This is why He is called The Son of Man.
    This then shows that He was not God as is commonly taught in today's false churches.
    John_20:17 Jesus said unto Her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
    This is indeed a very brief writing which needs to be studied by the serious Bible student with prayer and in depth. May it help those who eyes have been opened to today's false teachings in the churches. There is only ONE CHURCH, Christ Jesus.

Andy Centek

7. Ahermit

Ahermit Active Member

+79
    Christian
    Married
    Generally, people fear the truth. They do not want to know the truth. They prefer to hang onto anything that will not threaten them. They fear the truth will expose their vulnerability. Fear losing any form of self-esteem, or humiliation. This world is geared even moreso these days towards bolstering one's own ego.

Nothing has happened to truth. Truth is the only reality. Anything not true is not real, but a deception of sorts. The world is busy creating cover-stories, that cover the truth, so they can feel safe.

So, what happened? Humanity is going deeper into denial, and proclaiming innocent ignorance. But this too is a deception. For we have to know what they are denying before they can deny it. In the end, they will have to admit they knew all along that they turned their back on truth out of fear of losing their ego-self _ their false self. That is why Jesus said Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:39

8. Jon Osterman

Jon Osterman Well-Known Member

+460
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We may not need the "truth" that allowed mankind to build the computer you typed that message on, but I think we would all be poorer without it.

9. Ahermit

Ahermit Active Member

+79
    Christian
    Married
    Humans are so caught up in an iceberg principle of only seeing 10% of what is. 90% is hidden. Jesus was teaching us about what is hidden, where the Greater Reality and Truth is. That is why it takes faith to look deeper than what is on the surface.

For instance, most people believe they are flesh, but the Truth is, they are not flesh but have flesh. Like a car driver is not the car, but they have a car. We are not here for the self, we are here for the One who sent us.

10. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,743
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    In these days of fake news, when opinion seems to override fact, I find the words of John Lennon to be applicable:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things from
    Uptight short sided narrow minded hypocritics
    All I want is the truth, just give me some truth
    I've had enough of reading things
    By neurotic psychotic pigheaded politicians

No short-haired, yellow-bellied
    Son of tricky [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]'s
    Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
    With just a pocket full of hopes
    Money for dope, money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things from
    Tight-lipped condescending mama's little chauvinists
    I've had enough of watching scenes from
    Schizophrenic egocentric paranoiac primadonnas
    All I want is the truth just give me some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied,
    Son of tricky [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]'s
    Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
    With just a pocket full of hopes
    It's money for dope, money for rope

I'm sick to death of hearing things from
    Uptight short sided narrow minded hypocritics
    I've had enough of reading things
    By neurotic psychotic pigheaded politicians
    All I want is the truth, just give me some truth​

11. Ahermit

Ahermit Active Member

+79
    Christian
    Married
    Very good Dave.

That is why I am a hermit. I live in silence. Have not watched TV, listened to radio or music for over ten years now. Don't even know who our prime minister is. Whatever I hear from others talking to each other, nothing has changed; same old stories. My days are largely spent being creative and expressing gratitude for the Truth. The more truth one sees the less reason to engage with worldly concerns. Truth is rare unless one stays with it.

The worldly world shuns the truth. It's always somebody elses responsibility. I prefer to be responsible to God (Truth) than anything else. Truth really does set one free, from fears, which this world is based on.