• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What wrong idea about depression would you most like to set straight?

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish people would understand that depression is not the same thing as being sad or having a negative attitude. Pep talks don't easily cheer us up, and we already know about the things we can be thankful for.

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish people would understand that depression is not the same thing as being sad or having a negative attitude. Pep talks don't easily cheer us up, and we already know about the things we can be thankful for.
As a whole, we are not possessed/oppressed by demons, nor do we have a mountain of unconfessed/unrepentant sin in our lives, though these things can be a possibility. In fact, many people with depression are more keenly aware of their thoughts, words and motives and wish to be right before God.

Unfortunately, it is a stigma in the Christian community.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear that sometimes. "Well, I just don't see how a Christian can be depressed. The joy of the Lord is my strength." Or a perfectly cornball (in my opinion) "I'm too blessed to be depressed!" Again it goes to depression and sadness not being the same thing.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What wrong idea about depression would you most like to set straight?
....that depression (and most other mental health problems) are caused by "demon possession". Ticks me off every time I see or hear some ignorant jerk say that.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That our depressed thoughts are not to be taken seriously because they are negative/depressive. i hate it when people treat me like that.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That our depressed thoughts are not to be taken seriously because they are negative/depressive. i hate it when people treat me like that.
Oh, I'd like to "like" that one several dozen times!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of the above. Another one I’ve heard is.
“Just pray and read your Bible more, or go to church.”

I can’t read the Bible because depression can make it hard to concentrate. Trying to pray Id probably break down in tears. And a worship service? Just no. Being in a room with blaring music surrounded by strangers does not and will not help my depression.

Another. “You don’t have enough faith.” I don’t need someone who is too ignorant to know depression is an illness to lecture me about faith, when they don’t have the correct definition of it and think it means that bad things, getting sick won’t happen to you.

Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Depression is not a mood, but a state of mind. Even when you are happy you are still depressed. The highs are not as high and the lows are very low. Sometimes you can forget that its there if you get caught up in the moment (which is really nice), but it will be back eventually.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
People often forget that it can be fatal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Weathering Storms

Dec 16, 2017
Asheville
✟10,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That depression is a weakness*, that we could just "pull ourselves out of it" if we weren't so lazy.
That I'm lazy because our house is a wreck. Yes, there are days when I literally just sit. I can't even make myself get up and go to the bathroom. It is a weight, a heaviness that won't go away.

Or from my dad, "If you'd get rid of that white-man's religion and accept yourself as a Native American, stop rejecting the spiritual truths of your blood, your culture, and worship the Great Spirit, your depression wouldn't be there."

*By the way, I discovered something interesting this past year. Because we have so much autism and depression in our immediate family, a geneticist did a micro-array test on one of my twins. 14 vials of blood and 8 weeks later, we found out that he was missing a part of his 22nd Chromosome. (Actually, he's missing quite a few bits of it, but they have only mapped out this one section). People who are missing this portion either have severe depression from an early age, autism, or schizophrenia, or a combination of the three. So depression can be a genetic disorder, like Down's Syndrome.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All that's been said so far, and I'll add:

People fail so often to understand that for many of us there is a physical component to depression. It's not always that we need more counseling or we haven't tried hard enough. Sometimes we need medication, and better nutrition, and exercise and to avoid negative people and environments, and none of those things are sin. They are self-care that I suspect God is very happy to see us undertake when we need them. The humans, not so much.

Upvote 0

ShadowsChild

Victorious NOT Victim
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
✟8,916.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need to see this thread today. None of my Christian friends understand that this ISN'T a choice for me. That I would love to be happy and joyful instead of thoughts of death constantly wrapped around me. I hate other believer's telling me that if i draw closer to Jesus I will be okay.. seriously, every time I hear it I want to puke.

• Agree
Reactions: Celticroots
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand that feeling.

No, we are NOT saying that depression is bigger than God, or that He doesn't have the power to take care of it. We're going through this for some reason we don't understand. He could pluck us up and put us at the top of the mountain, but we gain something by climbing and struggling that we would not have gained otherwise. We trust Him to get us *through* it. But not necessarily *out* of it.

Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0