Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today was First Holy Communion in our parish for about 50 beautiful children. It was a lovely mass on a beautiful Sunday morning. Perfect! Except for one thing.
After mass was over, many people went downstairs for a reception but many more filed out to the front steps for pictures and hugs. On the sidewalk was a man greeting everyone with God Bless you and handing out fliers. I took one thinking it was an announcement for a bake sale of something. I'd gone a few steps when I realized it was a denunciation of the Catholic Church and "the dirty little secrets" that it is supposedly hiding (the current accusations of priestly abuse---as if that is hidden).
I went straight back to him and gave him back the flier and told him that this just wasn't right. The deacon and one of our priests gently asked him to leave. They tried to explain that he was ruining a very special day for these children and their families. He refused and got into a very heated argument with several people. The police were called but refused to do anything, they said we should just ignore him. I guess they were right, but how do you ignore such an attack on our family,especially when the children were right there?
He was back for every mass today and said he'll be back every Sunday.
How very sad that he would spend his time trying to tear down others beliefs. He told us that he was appointed by God to do this. :sigh:

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
That's so sad that something like that happened.
I would have probably done just what you did.

In addition, I would have gotten a few of the biggest and toughest looking members of The Knights of Columbus to block him from disturbing the parishioners! :cool: Seriously!

He sounds mentally disturbed.

Peace,
Annabel

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My heart breaks over this incident!

If he was standing on the public sidewalk in front of the Church, there truly isn't anything the police could have done.

Maybe inviting the choir out front to surround him and sing "Ave Maria" would work?

That he would ruin the children's day of celebration is beyond belief.

Peace and tears,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd hire a private investigator to dig up every nasty bit of dirt he can find on this guy, print it all up into fliers and hand them out on the other end of the sidewalk every day that they guy is there, with the injunction that people need to pray for him.

My guess is that he'd disappear quickly.

Upvote 0

cheezit

Saved in 1976
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Baptist
Originally posted by Wolseley
I'd hire a private investigator to dig up every nasty bit of dirt he can find on this guy, print it all up into fliers and hand them out on the other end of the sidewalk every day that they guy is there, with the injunction that people need to pray for him.

My guess is that he'd disappear quickly.

True, he would probably disappear. However, if they did this, they would be stooping down to this guy's level. Should they do that? No. They should just ignore him to the best of their ability. Not easy, I know, but it still has to be done. Anything they do to acknowledge this guy at all will only encourage him more.

As a side note, if the fliers that were being passed out had nothing but lies on them, it will be seen as such. If they were true, however, then to ignore them would be worse. (Please note, I am not saying the things were true. I am just making a point)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Cheezit:

Your point is valid, the man is looking for attention, and the more notoriety, the more important he will feel.

But the idea of spoiling a memorable day for a bunch of young children who are making an important step in their walk with Christ is just heartbreaking!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
What would I have done? Pray for him ... and teach the children that this is all a part of being a Catholic Christian and teach them how to respond (see scripture below) ... after all we were told we would be persecuted ... and as far as I know, the Catholic church is the most persecuted of all Christian churches ... so you must be doing something right. :D

Matthew 5:11 "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. REJOICE and be exceedingly GLAD, for GREAT is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Romans 12:14 "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."
Light a candle for them, pray a rosary for them, do a novena for them - don't let the evil one have any victory here - they are a lost soul in need of Christ love. Passing out flyers that humiliates him is not going to teach him anything - he will not see Christ in you that way. We should not be so easily offended.

John 15:20 "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also."

I Corinthians 15:9 - remember Paul persecuted the church, but God reached out to him and changed him and he became an apostle ... this man can change ... and God may use you to help him change. Galatians 1:23 "He who formerly persectued us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destory."

Remember this above all ...

2 Corinthians 4:7-10 "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed - always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also MAY BE MANIFESTED IN OUR BODY."

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
You're right, LilyLamb. Persecution will always be part of being Christian, no matter how small that persecution is. It's unfortunate it happened at an event that should be joyous but it's an opportunity to teach the children how one should respond to it. Praying for those that hurt you or persecute you does help.

Lynn, I think you did the right thing. Hopefully people will realize what he's doing and stay away from him.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I agree that ignoring him is an option but not at the expense of the children.
I would incorporate a few of the suggestions made here:

1.Hire a private investigator to dig up every nasty bit of dirt he can find on this guy
2.Invite the choir out front to surround him and sing "Ave Maria"(my favorite, Vow! ;) )
3.Get a few of the biggest and toughest looking members of The Knights of Columbus to block him from disturbing the children.

I'm sorry, these kids have worked too hard to have such a blessed event ruined by someone who's obviously mentally disturbed.

Upvote 0

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, we did surround him and moved with him everytime he tried to hand out a flier. It did get a little funny.
Its ironic that one of the readings was about behaving with love and humility and those who speak against you will look like fools.! ;)

I guess we did the right thing. We'll see what happens next Sunday. I have a feeling he'll be back.

I don't know what happened at the 1230 mass. Its a rather uninhibited one, full of young, loud, fervent people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a good idea. If nothing else, the noise might drive him away. (we're not the best singers) But you know what the bible says....."make a joyful noise". It may not be good, but its joyful.
How 'bout "Peace is Flowing like a River". or I bet he'd just love "Hail, Holy Queen". That would get him buzzing for sure. :D

Lynn :angel:

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Lynn
How 'bout "Peace is Flowing like a River". or I bet he'd just love "Hail, Holy Queen". That would get him buzzing for sure. :D
:D That's a great idea, you know. It's not a bad idea either to have some people out there praying for him as well and letting him know that. Just say some Hail Mary's. That'll probably get him.

:sigh: I know, I know. That's just mean and spiteful. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you should go up and get one of his tracts and then ask for everyone's attention in a loud voice. Read the tract aloud, in front of this individual, and point out the errors and misconceptions. Maybe even ask some of the children to give an answer on why 'this point' is not right. Have everyone get one for themselves and have a question and answer session right there in front of the guy.

I'm having a problem with some people of a similar mindset. Maybe I should invite Father to our next baseball game.

Upvote 0

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning,
Well, it just got more complicated. I found out this morning that he is the husband of one of our patients. I guess now I'll need to just back off completely. Shoot, I was just getting my pitch pipe out to lead a rousing chorus of "City of God" :sigh:

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
I think it would be wonderful if you were to invite him in and let him know that you are willing to address any questions he might want to ask. Let him know that you don't mind him handing out something so long as it is "true" and then address each point on the flyer. Remember, you may be his "light" on the road that turns him from persecuting the church (like Saul who became Paul).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.