Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I hope not, my intentions are good. Its just a discussion. I hope for peace, love, and truth to shine.

I understand that amigo. This is just one of those "stickler" controversial things.

(((hug)))

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I mean that we (protestants and catholics) should all agree on one set of rules instead of two.
We are years and years away from that. But if we can come together in some things, like a few evangelicals and Catholics have done with regard to pro-life issues, that helps.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We are years and years away from that. But if we can come together in some things, like a few evangelicals and Catholics have done with regard to pro-life issues, that helps.

Exactly.

That is an excellent point.

Maybe that's what the point of this thread is.

I understand better now.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe politics are another source of divisiveness. Sure we should agree on pro life i think, but should avoid most other political issues, such as economics for example, because they contradict the Lords teaching. Economics plays on our fears and lust for materialism. That's why the Lord and his apostles teach us to be content in all situations. God is our helper, not the POTUS.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe politics are another source of divisiveness. Sure we should agree on pro life i think, but should avoid most other political issues, such as economics for example, because they contradict the Lords teaching. Economics plays on our fears and lust for materialism. That's why the Lord and his apostles teach us to be content in all situations. God is our helper, not the POTUS.

The point about defending li'l babies at their most vulnerable and helpless is a GOOD one. I'm sooooo thankful for my brothers and sisters who staunchly take a stand and pray, and stand up for the "least of these". There was this same thing going on when i was given help and refuge by Catholics and Jewish alike, who had established a shelter together. I was sooooo thankful for these dear people, and i always will be.

THAT IS unity.

In action.

It's not about "politics", it's about helping someone who is in dire straits.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The point about defending li'l babies at their most vulnerable and helpless is a GOOD one. I'm sooooo thankful for my brothers and sisters who staunchly take a stand and pray, and stand up for the "least of these". There was this same thing going on when i was given help and refuge by Catholics and Jewish alike, who had established a shelter together. I was sooooo thankful for these dear people, and i always will be.

THAT IS unity.

In action.

It's not about "politics", it's about helping someone who is in dire straits.
I believe politics such as economics are a trap. Its so clear i can see it a mile away. I wonder why others do not see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe politics such as economics are a trap. Its so clear i can see it a mile away. I wonder why others do not see it.

I'm referring to helping someone in dire straits, not politics or economics, amigo (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I understood that sister. Sorry if my comment was confusing. Im not the best communicator.

'Tis ok, i know where your heart is.

God bless you amigo (((hug)))

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the reference link.

Anytime :)

I noticed you mentioned that Protestants were more united before than they are now. Something IS broken now. But even then the Calvinists and the Lutherans and the followers of Menno and Henry and whoever else didn't get along. One almost has to view there being multiple independent reformations including a Catholic reformation. Multiple distinct traditions, as that is what it really is.

I doubt we agree on this, but as a modern observer, I see the Reformation as kind of a Catholic reformation, that is purifying of the Catholic Church as she was at the time. One of the reasons I put it in this manner is because most if not all of the Reformers could be also referred to as "Augustinians". In a way they were independent reformations, at least in part due to time and distance. Dr. Luther for example, was a Reformer in Germany, Calvin in France, Zwingli in Switzerland, Cranmer in England, among many others. It is true they did not all get along, nor have complete agreement in all matters, but the same could be said for...and how disagreements were handled...Anyway, I also agree something is broken, many things, and always have been so long as man has had a hand in religion. I cannot help but think it will be this way until Christ comes again.

One could, I suppose, say our differences are all due to our various competing man-made traditions. Traditions that claim mostly to be Bible alone but disagree nonetheless. Your references to those three confessions I see as a tradition that perhaps stabilized the Reformed reformation for a while. Huh. No reference to the Westminster Confession? Anyways, I see tradition as a necessary, unavoidable, sometimes correct adjunct to Scripture. It comes down to the particulars of the tradition and who originated it. But to say one has no tradition is to be solidly in the tradition of denying one has a tradition, with all of the traditional baggage that entails. You seem at least to lay claim to actually having a tradition. Not mine but one that provides definition to your beliefs.

One could, but it comes down to differences in Biblical interpretation and that it is nearly impossible to approach Scripture empty of assumptions or a kind of framework (tradition even) or worldview comprehensive or not through which Scripture is filtered, which is not in any way to devalue the crucial and desirable work of the Holy Spirit in interpreting Scripture. God in His infinite wisdom has chosen the means, methods, and materials through which His revelation is transmitted.

Hey at least we have basic agreement in the early Christian creeds yeah? :)

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's one thing to seek unity and peace with men in this world yet knowing God's word says it will not happen, in the flesh, even among family members and within local church buildings. It's still another thing, and of primary importance, to seek unity, in becoming one, both as an individual, and as members of His body, His Holy Church, with Jesus Christ our LORD and Savior, which must happen if we are to see life everlasting. All glory to God. Much love to all our brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22:36-40

Do this and you wont worry about giving things up. The only question I ask myself is whether God loves the person, to which the answer is always "yes". If God loves them that is enough.

Verse edited to the correct one. Silly me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daleksteve

Jun 6, 2015
✟16,732.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Perhaps a better way approach this would be to ask: "What do you regard as the essential beliefs of Christianity?. "What must you believe, at a minimum, to be saved?
I'll go first.
That Jesus Christ is the unique, one of a kind, Son of God; the 2nd part of the Trinity who died for our sins, rose the 3rd day and ascended to heaven.That his is the only name by which we might be saved and that he will return to judge the quick and the dead.
In all other areas I believe people may disagree. And that being wrong in those areas will not affect your salvation.
God Bless
Jax

Yep, i will go with that.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What about the different views between these mature believers? Do they simply learn to respect each others differences?

If that's the case then they themselves admit that these things don't matter, and can free themselves from its bondage.
The thing is, we're not even close right now. Maybe in 200 years, but not now.

Upvote 0