What would you allow in a public library?

What would you allow in a public library?

• I am a creationist; I would allow books about evolution in a public library.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I am a creationist; I would NOT allow books about evolution in a public library.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I am an evolutionist; I would allow books about creationism and/or ID in a public library.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • I am an evolutionist; I would NOT allow books about creationism and/or ID in a public library.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This is a question for those on this forum. If you were in charge of a public library's collection, what would you allow on the shelves in terms of books either related to evolution (if you're a creationist) or creationism/ID (if you're an evolutionist).

I'm wondering if those would allow books from the "other side" in a public library for the public to read and consume.

(Note: I'm using the terms "creationist" and "evolutionist" for simplicity. Creationist would assume any person that rejects the modern theory of evolution, whereas evolutionist would include any person who accepts the modern theory of evolution.)

Reactions: Astrophile

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's important for a public library to serve diverse needs. It's important to have access to the "other side" of an argument, even if only so that you can learn about that point of view, and thus be better placed to discuss why you reject it.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,713.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If I was a public librarian, I'd allow Creationist and ID books, but in the religion section (200s under the Dewey Decimal System) rather than the science section (500s under DDC).

This is pretty much what already happens in US public libraries. Most (but not all) creationist works get a classification at '213 - Creation'. There are some occasional controversies about some stuff ID stuff being classified in the 500s, but in general this issue was sorted in the mid 1990s through to late 2000s.

To quote the DDC manual:

[W]hen a religious author is trying to enlighten scientists on a specific scientific matter, class the work with science, while if a scientist is trying to enlighten the religious on a specific religious matter, class the work with religion. The correct classification is determined by the intent of the author, and the interest of the readers that the author is seeking to reach, not by the truth, falsity, or validity of interpretations and premises."​

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As an evolutionist I would not allow books about creationism and/or ID in a public library, I would insist upon their presence. My personal library has twenty such books (1% of the total); thirty three if you count those which discuss the topics in order to refute them.

Excluding books, is one step away from book burning. Book burning is one or two steps away from burning people.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, only four creationist responses so far? I'm a bit surprised, thought we had far more folks here on the creationist side.

At any rate, my own thoughts echo others that have been posted. In fact, when I first stepped into the creationism/evolution debate, a lot of material I obtained on creationism and ID were from my local public library. It was nice to have direct access to the source material for many creationist arguments.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As an evolutionist I would not allow books about creationism and/or ID in a public library, I would insist upon their presence.
If it's a public library (and the OP says it is), I would assume you have no choice but to allow books on evolution to rest on its shelves, else the Antichrist Lovers Union would be all over you.

HOWEVER, the OP lays the choice in the librarian's lap, and there it lies.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If it's a public library (and the OP says it is), I would assume you have no choice but to allow books on evolution to rest on its shelves, else the Antichrist Lovers Union would be all over you.

HOWEVER, the OP lays the choice in the librarian's lap, and there it lies.
Did you not even read what I wrote? I would not allow the books, I would insist upon them. If you understood what I wrote then your post is non sequitur. I am stating, I hope clearly (DO YOU WANT IT IN CAPITALS?) I insist the books are there. I demand the books are there. I could only choose not to have them there by ignoring the principles by which I live. That makes my action quite distinct from merely allowing them.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did you not even read what I wrote? I would not allow the books, I would insist upon them. If you understood what I wrote then your post is non sequitur. I am stating, I hope clearly (DO YOU WANT IT IN CAPITALS?) I insist the books are there. I demand the books are there. I could only choose not to have them there by ignoring the principles by which I live. That makes my action quite distinct from merely allowing them.
My post wasn't about your post, chief.

I was merely reflecting on the OP a little more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My post wasn't about your post, chief.

I was merely reflecting on the OP a little more.
Forum convention is that when one quotes another member's post that the following remarks relate to those posts. Nice to see you are consistent in ignoring conventions, normal English usage and general courtesy.

• Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Forum convention is that when one quotes another member's post that the following remarks relate to those posts. Nice to see you are consistent in ignoring conventions, normal English usage and general courtesy.
Whatever.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If i was able to run my own library i would definitely ban all books on cats!
I could just about go along with that. After all cats are covered by the internet, which was introduced specifically to facilitate the wide dispersal of cat related videos.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So far there are two votes by creationists who would disallow books on evolution in a public library. It would be interesting to know their reasoning behind that.
Evolution is blasphemy, sows tares, leads to deconversion to atheism, is endless genealogies, denies man started out walking upright, is a game of connect-the-dots, is a philosophy that appeals to the rudiments of the world, and does not uplift our Saviour in any way, shape, or form.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Evolution is blasphemy, sows tares, leads to deconversion to atheism, is endless genealogies, denies man started out walking upright, is a game of connect-the-dots, is a philosophy that appeals to the rudiments of the world, and does not uplift our Saviour in any way, shape, or form.

Alrighty then.

Just curious, but in what way is evolution "blasphemy"?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Alrighty then.

Just curious, but in what way is evolution "blasphemy"?

1. We are not mutant copy-errors made in the image & likeness of God.

2. Our Redeemer is not a great ape.

Upvote 0