Houston, TX
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello. Yesterday, I got to work at the grocery store (part time job for now). While I was about to start checking more customers out my supervisor told me to go upstairs to the manager. My first thought of course was did I do something wrong that I don't know about. However, when I got there management told me and a few others that there had been a shooting at another location and the company has ordered mandatory training on active shooter safety. k. We sat and watched a fifteen minute movie and I was not happy. Why? Here's why. The video's basic message was that we as employees have the right to defend ourselves. But how? Company policy dictates that we are to have no weapons of any kind on us. Our security guards are unarmed as well. What do they expect me to do in the event that this actually does happen? Run? Hide? And where? I am standing right at the doors if someone wants a body to kill I'm one of the first options. In my opinion, policy needs to change! I'm not saying every worker needs to be carrying a gun but we need to protect ourselves and other people! Things have gotten altogether just flat out crazy in other ways too. Customers throwing tantrums for no good reason, yelling at us, cursing, screaming, ect. What do you think? Should stores arm at least some workers? I pray I can get the tech license I have been going after soon. I really want to move on from this place.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟934,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think this is an issue that people should consider when working with the public. I don't believe any merchandise is worth being injured or worse and I'd never get involved. There was a time when I'd sit in Starbucks but I stopped doing it. Namely for this reason. I saw the casual indifference of the patrons and had a disturbing thought. It would be an ideal place to rob and I'm aware that's happened in the past. Their current policy of not turning away patrons has created issues for many.

If you don't feel safe and your store is located in an area where crime is more pronounced, seek the Lord's provision for different employment. Tantrums happen in retail and I've worked in high end department stores in the past. But I've never been threatened with a weapon or questioned my safety.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like the will of man is letting the nation down. Perhaps time to return to a more loving neighbour as self approach as God recommended, and reintroduce a responsibility before rights approach.

Sadly, it is a culture where the criminal has more rights and compassion bestowed upon him than the victim.

How can a culture which has increasingly denied the God of the Bible hope to return to a responsible loving approach barring a revival?

At least, the store should provide armed guard protection and to fail to do so would be derelict in their responsibility as a company.

• Agree
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The video's basic message was that we as employees have the right to defend ourselves. But how?
What did the manager say about this apparent contradiction?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums