UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just as the title says. What evidence could show that creationism was wrong? And I am talking hypothetical here (I've seen that some people here have trouble grasping that concept).
unfortunately as rational wiki puts it "Creationism is not falsifiable as its proponents base the conjecture on a human text (the Bible) which provides accounts of creation and other events that cannot be tested by observation or experiment but are instead accepted as infallible truth."
Unless as in a joke from the Red Dwarf series this happens
'Newsreader: Good evening. Here is the news on Friday, the 27th of Geldof. Archaeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is presently being carbon dated in Bonn. If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental." The page has been universally condemned by church leaders.'
(This is a quote from ep. 2 of series 2 Red Dwarf)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just as the title says. What evidence could show that creationism was wrong? And I am talking hypothetical here (I've seen that some people here have trouble grasping that concept).

Creationism is the idea that a force outside of natural laws has had an impact on our reality.
The only way to test a theory or concept available to us is a "natural" set of tools.
So Creationism exists outside of the boundaries of the scientific method.
The Scientific Method can only examine that which is natural and duplicatable.

For example, if a scientist in a labcoat was able to instantly create an apple,
say, pull one out of a tabletop wormhole, he could say "There! That might be how God did it!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Creationism is the idea that a force outside of natural laws has had an impact on our reality.
The only way to test a theory or concept available to us is a "natural" set of tools.
So Creationism exists outside of the boundaries of the scientific method.
The Scientific Method can only examine that which is natural and duplicatable.

For example, if a scientist in a labcoat was able to instantly create an apple,
say, pull one out of a tabletop wormhole, he could say "There! That might be how God did it!"
True a Theory of Abiogenesis would not rule out God, it would be like evolution one more mechanism.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Nothing would falsify creationism, because so called "creation science" is just one huge effort at explaining away. The only thing it ever does is try to discredit evolution, and never does it come up with any genuine research of its own.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

After you listed up items included in Creationism, then you can easily see on yourself what would it take to falsify them. How many items can you list? Just one which happened to be unfalsifiable?

Before you want to falsify anything, you need to understand it FIRST!

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i believe as soon as science proves abiogenesis, this would put to rest forever a notion of a god.
despite its best efforts, science has been unable to do that.
science doesn't even have a plausible scenario for how it could have happened.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,465.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
i believe as soon as science proves abiogenesis, this would put to rest forever a notion of a god.
Not quite true, as I say even a theory of abiogenesis would still not rule it out as a gods mechanism of creation.

Reactions: theFijian
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟257,846.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nothing. Because anything you will point at, will be answered with "God created it that way."
And lot's of biblical iteralists will proudly announce that nothing can falsify the bible, therefor showing
1) they don't understand anything of science, more precisely that falsifiability is an sign of strength, not waekness
2) definitely denying any access for creationism in the science class (to be honest, AV1611VET has advocated this many times).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It can probably be taken for granted that there will one day be a viable theory about how life got started in the first place, but that definitely will not be any reason for concluding that God does not exist. That would only follow if your only reason for believing in him in the first place was to plug a gap in the scientific world view. Your god would have been a god of the gaps, in other words.

Reactions: WordList
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True a Theory of Abiogenesis would not rule out God, it would be like evolution one more mechanism.

Scientists should assume the same physical laws apply before life as after life began.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing would falsify creationism, because so called "creation science" is just one huge effort at explaining away. The only thing it ever does is try to discredit evolution, and never does it come up with any genuine research of its own.
It doesn't try to discredit evolution and your understanding of what it is all about is apparent. Most creationists accept evolution as defined but do not feel that evolution is a mindless, unguided, undirected process with no goals or plan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I agree that science doesn't have a plausible scenario even if there was a way they could make "life" in the way in might have happened, it is not without the aid of intelligent input. Life has never come from non-living matter on earth that we have ever observed. We might use our intelligence from ad hoc knowledge to make it happen but that doesn't mean it could have happened without intelligence in the real world.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Most creationists accept evolution as defined but do not feel that evolution is a mindless, unguided, undirected process with no goals or plan.
What evidence do you have that evolution is anything other than a mindless, unguided, undirected process with no goals or plan? what could be guiding it? someone's imagination?
Other animals do not have Gods because they have no imaginations with which to imagine Gods.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
While I agree that science doesn't have a plausible scenario even if there was a way they could make "life" in the way in might have happened, it is not without the aid of intelligent input. Life has never come from non-living matter on earth that we have ever observed. We might use our intelligence from ad hoc knowledge to make it happen but that doesn't mean it could have happened without intelligence in the real world.
depends on how this life is created.
in order to be valid, it must be created from the elements in one continuous reaction.
in my opinion, if science accomplishes the above, it will completely smash the god scenario forever.

the big question is, will science ever accomplish such a feat.
currently, the prospects doesn't look good.
given the head start of the final functioning product, vast computing power, and an almost endless amount of research, science isn't even close to achieving this goal.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
depends on how this life is created.
in order to be valid, it must be created from the elements in one continuous reaction.
in my opinion, if science accomplishes the above, it will completely smash the god scenario forever.

the big question is, will science ever accomplish such a feat.
currently, the prospects doesn't look good.
given the head start of the final functioning product, vast computing power, and an almost endless amount of research, science isn't even close to achieving this goal.
Which makes my point, even if they could get life to form, it would be from intelligent design. Intelligence is needed or it would happen in the real world. Even if conditions on the early earth were different, we don't know how they were and it would be from knowledge of how chemistry works to even succeed at the end goal.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.