What would be a good presidential manner?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For human leaders --

“A leader is best
When people barely know he exists
Of a good leader, who talks little,
When his work is done, his aim fulfilled,
They will say, “We did this ourselves.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

------------
Why so? Because one person trying to run everything, or be the solution, be one one who understands best -- that is above human. Only Christ could do that.

For human governmental leaders, so much less than Him, the best is instead what Lao Tzu said. Stop doing too much -- stop interfering with everyone!

A good President then, for the United States, would be one we don't hear much from or about.....

What would it be like to have a good President?

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example: for Iran, a good President would not give Iran so much....prominence!

Now, a tyrant famously needs an enemy. Someone wanting power for power's sake needs to trumpet and make loud that we have an 'enemy', so that he can make us fear and follow him and give him more power.

A good President instead will ignore more events, or pay attention instead to different things. There is less for him/her to do that are showy....but instead things that are less visible.

Ignoring many things that too many people clamor about, certain kinds of problems would fix themselves, in time. Better.

Wisdom includes knowing what problems to address, and which to best not react to.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now, a tyrant famously needs an enemy.
This can be how cults work, too > they can keep attention to some enemy, so their people don't evaluate the leaders. In case Donald is a false leader, he can use Iran and North Korea to make him look good. But these other leaders can use Donald, likewise, to keep attention away from their own tyrannical ways.

But in case Donald did not frame Iran's leadership, but really had reason to take out the general . . . they can make him look good, if they want :)

A good President instead will ignore more events, or pay attention instead to different things. There is less for him/her to do that are showy....but instead things that are less visible.
Well, are you going to apply this rule to Jesus . . . who did many attention-getting miracles and gave messages of God?

I think it is possible to single out someone we don't like, and make rules only for that person in order to make the person look bad.

Also, in case Donald is indeed overdoing the attention seeking, this does not mean he is stupid. Because he can be keeping attention away from competition so no one knows enough about them to vote for them.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For human leaders --

“A leader is best
When people barely know he exists
Of a good leader, who talks little,
When his work is done, his aim fulfilled,
They will say, “We did this ourselves.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

------------
Why so? Because one person trying to run everything, or be the solution, be one one who understands best -- that is above human. Only Christ could do that.

For human governmental leaders, so much less than Him, the best is instead what Lao Tzu said. Stop doing too much -- stop interfering with everyone!

A good President then, for the United States, would be one we don't hear much from or about.....

What would it be like to have a good President?

Imagine Donald Trump without the Twitter account.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This can be how cults work, too > they can keep attention to some enemy, so their people don't evaluate the leaders. In case Donald is a false leader, he can use Iran and North Korea to make him look good. But these other leaders can use Donald, likewise, to keep attention away from their own tyrannical ways.

But in case Donald did not frame Iran's leadership, but really had reason to take out the general . . . they can make him look good, if they want :)

Well, are you going to apply this rule to Jesus . . . who did many attention-getting miracles and gave messages of God?

I think it is possible to single out someone we don't like, and make rules only for that person in order to make the person look bad.

Also, in case Donald is indeed overdoing the attention seeking, this does not mean he is stupid. Because he can be keeping attention away from competition so no one knows enough about them to vote for them.
If you read above, I emphasize that this principle is for us imperfect humans, and not at all for Christ.

See that now? :)

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This can be how cults work, too > they can keep attention to some enemy, so their people don't evaluate the leaders.

It’s an old magic trick called the slight of hand and routinely used in politics.

Oftentimes people end up mimicking the behavior they criticize in their haste to speak out. The liberty I’ve witnessed in respect to the president would be decried elsewhere. I don’t believe disagreement gives us the right to set aside a Christian response.

~Bella

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to see a return to decorum and civility. The Wild Wild West brand of interaction is infectious. And that applies to all parties and positions. We’ve forgotten how to conduct ourselves tactfully.

~Bella
I very much agree. We can pray that more in churches that have lifted up Trump, followed his examples, that they turn to Christ instead, the only One worthy to be lifted up! To follow His examples. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I emphasize that this principle is for us imperfect humans, and not at all for Christ.

See that now? :)
Certainly Jesus is different than we are. And, by the way, Jesus does say for us to do certain things in secret. But God's word does say to walk . . . and to love . . . as Jesus did on this earth.

As humans, yes we do fail, but with God we can learn to do things right so we can be open about it, but without trying to make a show. We need both secrecy and open action.

Or else, why are we openly writing to each other, now :)

With Jesus who is indeed able to do things right, we can become able to handle doing things openly . . . but humbly . . . including being an example of humility to people who are doing show things >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly Jesus is different than we are. And, by the way, Jesus does say for us to do certain things in secret. But God's word does say to walk . . . and to love . . . as Jesus did on this earth.

As humans, yes we do fail, but with God we can learn to do things right so we can be open about it, but without trying to make a show. We need both secrecy and open action.

Or else, why are we openly writing to each other, now :)

With Jesus who is indeed able to do things right, we can become able to handle doing things openly . . . but humbly . . . including being an example of humility to people who are doing show things >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)
Yes, those are all right.

Now the quote from the OP is for any person exercising power, like a president. Being in a position of power, where the person could abuse their power, harming the people they are over or are responsible to aid.

The principle really is just saying: don't be arrogant and controlling.

Don't interfere too much in people's lives.

It's just another way to state a couple of the same rules for life we find in scripture.

Just like you quoted at the end there. :)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The principle really is just saying: don't be arrogant and controlling.

Don't interfere too much in people's lives.
For leaders and those who follow their example, then >

And with this I will put in > for me > not just trying to use anybody.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A leader doesn't get people to follow , a leader gets people to join . A leader doesn't demand respect , a leader attempts to earn respect. A leader is a servant, not a master. A leader does not see others as inferior but as equals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums