What were some sins, you did not know were sins?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not a 100% certain about this one, I could be wrong Afterall. For one I did not know swearing was a sin, swear as in swear to God. For example, saying to somebody, "I swear to God he rear-ended my car". Even if telling the truth, it seems to be a sin, make an answer either yes or no.

Well, here is the thing, lying is a sin, so even if they swore and lied at the same time, their status of sinning against God remains the same. A liar is a liar. And all sin is bad.

But does this also mean to never take oaths? It seems in court cases the defendant is given a Bible and makes a oath that he is telling the truth.

But other than that one, what sins are seems like common sense.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sin is like an infection, it inspires sinful actions, but is more than the actions themselves.

The words can be true or false, but you can be a living lie and not realize it, so it goes deeper.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sin is simply putting one's will ahead of the will of God. Eve did it, original sin. In pursuing self interest one not only ignores God's will that we love all as self, but we put our own interest ahead of others, which of course is the root of sin, as shown in theft, abuse, economics, politics, adultery, or whatever.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a 100% certain about this one, I could be wrong Afterall. For one I did not know swearing was a sin, swear as in swear to God. For example, saying to somebody, "I swear to God he rear-ended my car". Even if telling the truth, it seems to be a sin, make an answer either yes or no.

Well, here is the thing, lying is a sin, so even if they swore and lied at the same time, their status of sinning against God remains the same. A liar is a liar. And all sin is bad.

But does this also mean to never take oaths? It seems in court cases the defendant is given a Bible and makes a oath that he is telling the truth.

Preferring Vegemite over Marmite.

• Haha
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did not know swearing was a sin, swear as in swear to God. For example, saying to somebody, "I swear to God he rear-ended my car".

Swearing is emphersising the truth of ones statement by appealing to a powerful or holy object.
If you read the contex of where Jesus says let your yes be yes and your no be no, it is in the contex of the pharses swearing by the temple, the alter or by the gold on the alter.

As for jury service etc, it is up to you, atheist afirm that they will tell the truth.
You too can do that or witness to ones believe in God.

It is the casual swearing that stresses once views that God is against.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,844.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin is simply putting one's will ahead of the will of God. Eve did it, original sin. In pursuing self interest one not only ignores God's will that we love all as self, but we put our own interest ahead of others, which of course is the root of sin, as shown in theft, abuse, economics, politics, adultery, or whatever.

a sense of lack, whereby all things become of gain ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What were some sins, you did not know were sins?
I think of how I used to date women for status, not really loving them, but using them.

Now, I think of 1 Peter 5:3 >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

To me, this shows I must not try to lord myself over someone else, to make the person do what I want. But with my lady friend I have tried to control her. But then I could notice how I was becoming inside myself and even trying to argue. And that gave away how I was going against how God's word says to relate.

At first, I did not notice how I was becoming wrong while trying to push and steer her. But what helped me is Colossians 3:19 >

"Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

When she would not go along with my controlling, then was when I could start getting nasty inside myself; and I would think of how God's word says not to get bitter. And I could see I was trying to lord myself over her, and reacting wrong to her not going along with it.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Preferring Vegemite over Marmite.

Neither of these things sounds appetizing...I've heard of them, but haven't tasted either of them. And now, realizing that preferring Vegemite over Marmite is sin, well, I'll just avoid the danger entirely and never have either. Really dodged a bullet there... :muahah:

You know, we are never told in the Bible to focus on sin. Instead, we're commanded to keep our eyes on Jesus, to consider him, to behold his glory, to pursue him, and as we do, we naturally come out of lives of sin, departing from wickedness without strain or struggle in pursuit of deeper and deeper fellowship with our God and King. (Hebrews 12:2-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Philippians 3:7-14)

When we start talking about sin, about seeing it for what it is, about our former blindness to it, our attention inevitably shifts from the glory and light of Christ to the darkness and corruption of what is evil. And to the degree this shift occurs, to the same degree we are diminished in our communion with our wonderful Savior.

We recognize sin so that we may forsake it, leaving Christ unobscured in our hearts and minds.

Philippians 4:8-9
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither of these things sounds appetizing...I've heard of them, but haven't tasted either of them. And now, realizing that preferring Vegemite over Marmite is sin, well, I'll just avoid the danger entirely and never have either. Really dodged a bullet there... :muahah:
Indeed

• Haha
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Took me quite some time to realise that going into next doors garden and having a poo was a sin :oops:

Woof!

So you're that black dog... Yes... Very bad sin. Poo in your own yard!

Haha haha

• Haha
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0