Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
2 Chronicles 1:1–3:17; Titus 1:1–4; Psalm 91:1–16

“What would you do if you won the lottery?”
This question always seems to generate the same responses: There’s the person who devises an investment strategy, the dreamer who envisions ending global poverty, the individual who would travel the world, and the person who would buy the house, boat, or car they’ve always wanted.
These responses tell us something about each person’s character and what fulfills them. The root of these desires reveals something about how they perceive their identity in relationship to their culture, family, and God. They feel “in their identity” or “most themselves” when they pursue happiness, others’ happiness, or the things they want.
Solomon experiences an unexpected “wish” scenario. Like winning the lottery or being granted three wishes, Solomon’s response reveals what is important to him, the core of his identity, and how God responds to people who know what He desires. God says to the king, “Ask what I shall give to you” (2 Chr 1:7). Solomon replies with some of the most humble words ever spoken: “Now, give to me wisdom and knowledge that I may go out and come in before this people [an idiom for a type of leading], for who can judge this, your great people?” (2 Chr 1:10).
In response, God reminds Solomon of all the great things he passed up in this moment, and how doing so showed his true character. As a result, God says that He will also bless Solomon with “wealth, possessions, and honor” (2 Chr 1:11–12). Solomon’s humility demonstrates what it looks like to have a godly identity that’s focused on others rather than ourselves.
To combat selfishness, Paul regularly reminds himself and others that he is “a slave of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of the chosen of God and knowledge of the truth that is according to godliness” (Titus 1:1). He grounds his statement by testifying to God’s eternal work (Titus 1:2–4).
The difference between present gain and eternal gain is focus: Are we working toward the eternal good of God’s work or the temporal good of our own success? When we align ourselves with who God created us to be, our desires become His desires. Our thirst for gain is quenched by God—sometimes surprisingly. We, like Solomon and Paul, should understand our role in God’s work and request what we need to fulfill that role, trusting that He will provide the rest.

What would you do if you came into a large sum of money? How can you align your desires with God’s?

JOHN D. BARRY​

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was 1st posed this question, of what I would do if I had $1,000,000, I was in middle school. At that time, without having put much thought into it, I just said it I wanted a lake house with a pontoon and some other cool things.

Since then, my priorities have changed.

I think buying a house would be the 1st thing I would do with it. I'm still in college, so I will be living in a house in the next few years, so I think I would just put the money in the bank until the time for a house comes. I want a large house, but nothing fancy. I would like to be there patriarch of a large family someday, so I want to my house to be a place for family members can come together; hence the desire for size.

Paying for the house would be a really good thing to do, because if I could put all the money in right away, I would save a ton of money on interest. Same goes for buying a car, if I end up living in an area where her car is necessary.

After that, I think I would have a small amount of money set aside for dates, and to pay for the wedding, if that comes to be. But I know god will take care of me, and I can give the surplus To someone here needs it more. I know of some really good human trafficking ministries & safehouses in the Chicago area, and I would definitely donate to them. The human trafficking ministry from a church in Naperville is definitely a worthy cause. Naomi's House, Restoration 13, and Restore 31 are 3 other human trafficking organizations that I would love to support.I

I think the change in my plans has come from a greater awareness of the problems in the world, as well as the futility of spending money on myself. If my lottery winnings can make a spectacular house for myself, than that would be nice for me. But if my winnings are put to provide a house for those who don't have one, along with the rehabilitation needed for someone rescued out of sex trafficking, then that would be incredible!

Upvote 0