United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Minor, non life threatening injuries.

Even if someone hits a cop, and they start to surrender with their hands in the air, it's still not okay to kill them. At that point one cannot logically assess a threat when they are surrendering.

Blacks virtually own the 'sucker punch'. If the officer 'had his bell rung' by such a punch he might have shot the guy in self defense, believing that his life was in danger. The officer's injury was indeed not serious, but at the time the blow might have confused him just enough to react with deadly force.

It actually reminds me of the Martin-Zimmerman case. Zimmerman was about to be punched silly, which may well have led to his death at the hand of Martin if he had not acted immediately with deadly force.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But according to the chief, the officer wasn't aware of the robbery; just two guys walking in the middle of the street.
I had a cousin (a cop) was killed pointed blank because he didn't know the house he was just serving papers on a minor issue was dealing with drugs. That's the thing about being a cop as you never know when you stop someone over a minor issue is involved with something a lot more serious willing to kill you over it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Forensics and the Medical Examiner will shed light.

It is amazing what they can piece together with forensic evidence to recreate what happened and to overlay the forensics with the eye witness recollections, to determine if the eye witness testimony, is reliable.

This issue will be determined by the forensics and I am sure there is a police audio, from the dashboard cam, if the actual video, didn't capture anything.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blacks virtually own the 'sucker punch'. If the officer 'had his bell rung' by such a punch he might have shot the guy in self defense, believing that his life was in danger. The officer's injury was indeed not serious, but at the time the blow might have confused him just enough to react with deadly force.

It actually reminds me of the Martin-Zimmerman case. Zimmerman was about to be punched silly, which may well have led to his death at the hand of Martin if he had not acted immediately with deadly force.

So in reality, if the cop was unjustified in killing Brown as you say ("confusion" is not a good reason to kill someone), Brown might have actually been justified in killing the officer, had he been able to assess the fact that yes in the officer's failure to maintain due diligence in the line of duty was actually a threat to his life

Martin may have been justified in killing Zimmerman in the same respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So in reality, if the cop was unjustified in killing Brown as you say ("confusion" is not a good reason to kill someone), Brown might have actually been justified in killing the officer, had he been able to assess the fact that yes in the officer's failure to maintain due diligence in the line of duty was actually a threat to his life

I didn't say he was confused to the point where he didn't know what he was doing. I had a sudden drop in blood pressure once that almost incapacitated me. I wasn't confused and knew exactly what was happening and that I would be physically helpless within a few seconds. I'm sure Zimmerman wasn't confused about what would happen to him if Martin punched him into unconsciousness. If the officer thought that he was 'going down', and that if he did he was surely a dead man, he might have shot in preemptive self defense.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no dashboard cam.

The cam might not have been pointing towards the action, but the microphone could have caught something.

Even if it didn't, the forensics will tell a story as to whether the injuries supposedly sustained by the cop where delivered by Brown and the gun shot forensics along with other pieces, will determine if the eye witness accounts are reliable.

If the forensics line up with eye witness testimony that Brown was moving away with his hands up, the cop is going away.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Let's say you could actually prove blacks own the sucker punch, what does that have to do with the specifics in this case?

I can tell you, nothing.

Each case stands on it's own merits and what can be shown to have happened with reliable evidence.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lot's of assumptions there and without evidence to support, they are only guesses, which don't hold up well in court.

The Zimmerman case had evidence that supported Zimmerman's story on almost every front; he passed a lie detector test (though not admissible), the eye witness supported his story, the cops testimony supported his story, Martin's girlfriend testified that Martin was next to his home, but he circled back to confront Zimmerman and he called him racial names and the expert gun shot wound witness, basically blew any case the prosecution had out of the water.

In this case, we don't know what the evidence is, plain and simple and it will be a while before we do. Not unlike the Zimmerman case, political pressure will not allow this cop to skate if there is evidence against him, because the whole nation is watching and the FBI is in on the investigation.

Lastly, one does not have to have significant injuries to be in fear of their life or suffering severe bodily harm, to use deadly force. The law is clear on that.

We don't know the details and pretending we do, is useless.

Upvote 0

Brigid48

Aug 8, 2014
USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The cam might not have been pointing towards the action, but the microphone could have caught something.
No, you don't seem to get it - the police cars in Ferguson literally DO NOT HAVE cameras or microphones. They do not exist within the police cars.

Zero cameras of any sort on any police vehicle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, you don't seem to get it - the police cars in Ferguson literally DO NOT HAVE cameras or microphones. They do not exist within the police cars.

Zero cameras of any sort on any police vehicle.

Ok, on to what the forensics shows.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say he was confused to the point where he didn't know what he was doing. I had a sudden drop in blood pressure once that almost incapacitated me. I wasn't confused and knew exactly what was happening and that I would be physically helpless within a few seconds. I'm sure Zimmerman wasn't confused about what would happen to him if Martin punched him into unconsciousness. If the officer thought that he was 'going down', and that if he did he was surely a dead man, he might have shot in preemptive self defense.

Zimmerman was confused as to what arming yourself and stalking strangers does. But only one person is alive as a result of his negligence.

Same with this cop. When someone is backing away with their arms in the air, shooting them is murder. Regardless of what your blood pressure is, etc.

Reactions: ulu
Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lot's of assumptions there and without evidence to support, they are only guesses, which don't hold up well in court.

The Zimmerman case had evidence that supported Zimmerman's story on almost every front; he passed a lie detector test (though not admissible), the eye witness supported his story, the cops testimony supported his story, Martin's girlfriend testified that Martin was next to his home, but he circled back to confront Zimmerman and he called him racial names and the expert gun shot wound witness, basically blew any case the prosecution had out of the water.

In this case, we don't know what the evidence is, plain and simple and it will be a while before we do. Not unlike the Zimmerman case, political pressure will not allow this cop to skate if there is evidence against him, because the whole nation is watching and the FBI is in on the investigation.

Lastly, one does not have to have significant injuries to be in fear of their life or suffering severe bodily harm, to use deadly force. The law is clear on that.

We don't know the details and pretending we do, is useless.

And we never will because the perpetrators are in charge of the investigation.

Like being raped and having to rely on the rapist to afford justice.

Upvote 0