• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

What was Trump thinking?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by jayem, Oct 18, 2020.

1. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+4,961
    Atheist
    Married
    This is what Donald Trump said at a rally last Tuesday in Johnstown, PA. He included a fairly mild expletive which I'm deleting:

“So can I just ask you to do me a favor: suburban women, will you please like me? Please, please. I saved your............ neighborhood."

Was he just being comical or facetious? I fail to see how this is an effective way to reach undecided women voters in a crucial swing state. He's down in the polls, his campaign is strapped for cash, and millions of early votes have already been cast. Most of which he believes are for Joe Biden. That may or may not be true. But it seems to me that behind the snark, the man is getting desperate. Or else he's becoming unhinged.

Several videos of the rally are on YouTube. Decide for yourself.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,540
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    He just lacks the filters most people have.

He says whatever pops into his head without thinking about the impact it might have on listeners.

3. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+2,338
    Christian
    Married
    Trump will say whatever comes into his head -- there is no filter. " All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." James 3:7-8

4. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+4,142
    Christian
    Married
    It's a narrative that Trump seems to be pushing, to try and win back the suburban soccer moms that, per the polls, he's been losing over the course of the year. He's pushing the idea that, if not for him, that Antifa would be attacking the suburbs but that Trump is keeping them "contained" and working to jail them. That none of this is actually happening, I think, leave two possibilities. In my mind, Trump actually has is own "reality" where he believes this is true; of course, the other possibility is that he will say anything, regardless if it is true, if he thinks it will win him votes.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,372
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It was obviously light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek. Context matters. If you don't like "expletives", don't watch the video.

Trump makes appeal to suburban women at rally: 'Will you please like me?'

6. pescador

+2,338
    Christian
    Married
    Or both...

7. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+996
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    I read a pretty good analysis recently. I don't remember where it was. Basically, Trump doesn't think strategically. He craves attention and praise. He says things in rallies that stir up the crowd and saturate him with approval.

It's extremely short-sighted, and it's a key reason he's down in the polls. He knows what to say to get his base to cheer for him, and he can't see past that. Meanwhile, too many independents and Republicans are getting turned off by his nutty comments.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Jamdoc

Jamdoc Well-Known Member

+636
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    at least he didn't take the Lord's name in vain this time...

9. MIDutch

MIDutch Well-Known Member

+1,558
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    trump actually thinks he's saved all of US suburbia from the BLM ganstas and the Mexican rapists and murderers and low housing ghettos. He's convinced that suburban women should reward him with their votes.

I don't know how light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek that seems to other people, but IMO it just seems delusional.

10. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,141
    Non-Denom
    I don't think he's getting desperate at all. He's going out doing what he did in 16 going out giving it his best effort.

11. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,540
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    By underestimating the intelligence of suburban moms (and women in general) he turns them off.
    While my circle of friends would now be typified as suburban grandmoms, even the ones who attend the nondenominational church are standing up for civil rights and the dreamers and gun control and social justice.
    They are actually more outspoken than I am at times.
    And of course. What kind of world are we leaving for our descendants? This is the turning point if our civilization, and we need them to remember that we were fighting for their future.

12. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+9,975
    Atheist
    Private
    I don't know, from what I've seen when the GOP sends its people they're not sending their best.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,141
    Non-Denom
    Well at least I can thank you for giving me a big belly laugh. So the Dem's best was to put in leadership a 78 year old man who if he wins will be the oldest President in American History? I wonder if real caring leadership knows when it's time to prep and groom up people of the next generation to carry the torch knowing there's a time for them to do so. So what do you have. A Speaker of the House who's 80 years of age.....and a Presidential contender 78. Is that their best?

14. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+8,652
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    Trump is 74 and McConnell is 78. And you're playing the age card?

15. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,894
    United States
    Married
    It is the best that the Dems can do; they are a bunch of misinformed fools. Just think how stupid you would have to be to choose as your candidate and then elect the oldest living person to ever hold the office of the President of the United States. That would show an incredible lapse of reason. The only thing dumber would be to run a person that spent most of his life in the opposition party. When will these armatures learn? TRUMP!

16. pescador

+2,338
    Christian
    Married
    It IS delusional. Trump can't separate truth from fiction.

17. pescador

+2,338
    Christian
    Married
    Just wait a few weeks. The "bunch of misinformed fools" of which I am one, will send your beloved liar-in-chief packing. He will probably have to leave the country in January to avoid going to prison for a LONG time.

18. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,681
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Or both.

19. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,205
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I'm just glad he didn't say any of the following to his supporters:

"You're a lying dog faced pony soldier"

"Listen here, fat."

"...then you ain't black"

"I don't want my kids growing up in a jungle; a racial jungle."

Who would support someone who says stuff like that?

20. Yttrium

Yttrium Independent Centrist

+996
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    I wouldn't. Biden is too old, too boring, and too prone to dumb gaffes. I have no attachment to the Democratic Party. Normally I'd vote for his Republican opponent, or a third party candidate, or abstain. But I've already voted for him. Unfortunately, the situation is not normal, as his opponent is so much worse.

I had an even worse problem in 2016, when I considered Hillary Clinton unfit to be president due to her e-mail fiasco... but I voted for her anyway, because of the alternative.