USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Mark 1:14-15 says: Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Can anyone explain what this "gospel of God" was that Jesus proclaimed? What did he mean by "believe in the gospel" prior to his death, resurrection and ascension?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mark 1:14-15 says: Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Can anyone explain what this "gospel of God" was that Jesus proclaimed? What did he mean by "believe in the gospel" prior to his death, resurrection and ascension?
In short... the promise that there will be a restoration of all things.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Gospel means "good news", substitute that in these passages and it makes sense.

The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; (This would be "good news")
THEREFORE
repent and believe in the [good news that the kingdom of God is at hand]

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It was a message of peace between man and God. In those days an inferior nation or state that was in a state of rebellion was given " space for repentance", i.e., a period of time to cease rebellion and swear an oath to the conqueror. Afterwards they were expected to live in peace under their conqueror.

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
He always taught about Yahuweh's Kingdom. "Turn to Yahuweh , for HIS KINGDOM is HERE(at hand)"
In short... the promise that there will be a restoration of all things.
Gospel means "good news", substitute that in these passages and it makes sense.

The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; (This would be "good news")
THEREFORE
repent and believe in the [good news that the kingdom of God is at hand]
It was a message of peace between man and God. In those days an inferior nation or state that was in a state of rebellion was given " space for repentance", i.e., a period of time to cease rebellion and swear an oath to the conqueror. Afterwards they were expected to live in peace under their conqueror.

Did this good news of the kingdom and peace that Jesus preached include any mention of resurrection? Did he preach substitutional atonement via the cross? On what basis did he preach reconciliation and peace? Was the content of his gospel "Christian" in any sense compared to the Christian gospel today?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did this good news of the kingdom and peace that Jesus preached include any mention of resurrection? Did he preach substitutional atonement via the cross? On what basis did he preach reconciliation and peace? Was the content of his gospel "Christian" in any sense compared to the Christian gospel today?
What is your goal here?

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What is your goal here?

To try to understand what the gospel was that Jesus preached prior to his death and resurrection and the development of Christian doctrine. Was that not clear from my questions?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did this good news of the kingdom and peace that Jesus preached include any mention of resurrection?
What is written in the Bible ? (that is where we find out)
Did he preach substitutional atonement via the cross?
What do you mean by "substitutional atonement" ?
On what basis did he preach reconciliation and peace?
Again, what do you read in the Bible about reconciliation and peace ?
The Bible is our source.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is the gospel, according to Paul (1 Cor 15):

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

Paul also said (2 Cor 5) (this is what I meant by substitutional atonement):

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

My question is how much of this gospel (as typically presented by Christianity today) was preached by Jesus? If he didn't preach about his death and resurrection and sacrifice for sin with a call to believe on him, what gospel content did he preach? And what did he expect them to believe? And what benefit did he think belief in that gospel would have?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To try to understand what the gospel was that Jesus preached prior to his death and resurrection and the development of Christian doctrine. Was that not clear from my questions?
It feels like there is an ulterior motive here. You seem to know the gospel fine, yet are trying to create issues where there are none. If I'm wrong then fine, but as I said it kinda feels that way.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

My question is how much of this gospel (as typically presented by Christianity today) was preached by Jesus? If he didn't preach about his death and resurrection and sacrifice for sin with a call to believe on him, what gospel content did he preach? And what did he expect them to believe? And what benefit did he think belief in that gospel would have?
Jesus did tell the disciples that He would be arrested, suffer, and be killed by the priests and the scribes. Then Jesus would rise again.

Jesus told them many times that this would happen but the apostles never understood what He was saying.

Here is an example.

Matthew 16:21
From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Your quotation from Paul's first letter to the Corinthians is the first and most important doctrine in Christianity. Well done.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua preached the gospel, and the disciples preached the gospel, BEFORE he gave his life. That giving of his life is what gives us access to the Kingdom... but the good news is much more than just "Jesus died on the cross." In fact, if we are going to say that is the whole gospel... we are taking away from His word and work. IMHO

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
  • Useful
Reactions: questionman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "gospel" means "good news." Jesus was preaching the gospel of the kingdom to Israel. John the Baptist also preached the gospel of the kingdom, which was, "..Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 3:2).

Jesus Christ sent the twelve to preach only to Israel. Matthew 10:5 - These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' The disciples were specifically told to go only to the people of Israel, and they were not yet preaching anything about the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

In Matthew 16:15, Jesus Christ asked His disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Now Peter had no clue yet that Jesus Christ would be crucified, buried and resurrected, but he truly believed that Jesus was the Messiah. This is obvious when, only moments later, Peter rebukes Jesus Christ for saying he will be killed, and be raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21). In verse 22, "..Peter took him and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

Before his death, Jesus told the twelve that He had to die and that he would rise on the third day. Looking back on this passage of scripture, we see Jesus speaking of an event that would change the world! However, it's obvious that the disciples were ignorant of its meaning.

Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem,.. And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. – Luke 18:31-34. hmm... that's strange if the content of the gospel that came through a revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul and was a mystery prior to that has the same content as the gospel of the kingdom. *This is where we need to RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH.

After his crucifixion, instead of anxiously waiting his resurrection, the apostles were still ignorant and disheartened at the death of their Messiah, and did not even at first believe the testimony of his resurrection (Mark 16:14, Luke 24:19-24).

It was not until after his resurrection that Jesus appeared to the apostles and opened their understanding (Luke 24:44-47).

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, we read that the gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and in Romans 1:16, we see that it's the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes.. After the cross, there is a distinct element to the content of the gospel which is called "the mystery of the gospel" (see Ephesians 6:19 and Colossians 1:26-27; 4:3). This new revelation that the apostle Paul received from Jesus (Galatians 1:11-12) is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the same body (the body of Christ) and fellow partakers of the promise (Ephesians 3:1-9). Jews and Gentiles are now united together in one body and this was previously a mystery. The distinct message of the church is that Jews and Gentiles alike may believe the gospel and be united together into ONE BODY (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13).

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It feels like there is an ulterior motive here. You seem to know the gospel fine, yet are trying to create issues where there are none. If I'm wrong then fine, but as I said it kinda feels that way.

I'm sorry, what ulterior motive do you think there is?

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did tell the disciples that He would be arrested, suffer, and be killed by the priests and the scribes. Then Jesus would rise again.

Jesus told them many times that this would happen but the apostles never understood what He was saying.

Here is an example.

Matthew 16:21
From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Right, "from that time" ... at the very end of his ministry after years of "preaching the gospel", he finally started to tell them that he had to die and then be raised up. It seems that wasn't part of his standard preaching over three years. Hence my question: what was the content of his gospel?

The word "gospel" means "good news." Jesus was preaching the gospel of the kingdom to Israel. John the Baptist also preached the gospel of the kingdom, which was, "..Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 3:2).

Jesus Christ sent the twelve to preach only to Israel. Matthew 10:5 - These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' The disciples were specifically told to go only to the people of Israel, and they were not yet preaching anything about the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

In Matthew 16:15, Jesus Christ asked His disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Now Peter had no clue yet that Jesus Christ would be crucified, buried and resurrected, but he truly believed that Jesus was the Messiah. This is obvious when, only moments later, Peter rebukes Jesus Christ for saying he will be killed, and be raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21). In verse 22, "..Peter took him and began to rebuke him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

Before his death, Jesus told the twelve that He had to die and that he would rise on the third day. Looking back on this passage of scripture, we see Jesus speaking of an event that would change the world! However, it's obvious that the disciples were ignorant of its meaning.

Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem,.. And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. – Luke 18:31-34. hmm... that's strange if the content of the gospel that came through a revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul and was a mystery prior to that has the same content as the gospel of the kingdom. *This is where we need to RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH.

After his crucifixion, instead of anxiously waiting his resurrection, the apostles were still ignorant and disheartened at the death of their Messiah, and did not even at first believe the testimony of his resurrection (Mark 16:14, Luke 24:19-24).

It was not until after his resurrection that Jesus appeared to the apostles and opened their understanding (Luke 24:44-47).

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, we read that the gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and in Romans 1:16, we see that it's the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes.. After the cross, there is a distinct element to the content of the gospel which is called "the mystery of the gospel" (see Ephesians 6:19 and Colossians 1:26-27; 4:3). This new revelation that the apostle Paul received from Jesus (Galatians 1:11-12) is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the same body (the body of Christ) and fellow partakers of the promise (Ephesians 3:1-9). Jews and Gentiles are now united together in one body and this was previously a mystery. The distinct message of the church is that Jews and Gentiles alike may believe the gospel and be united together into ONE BODY (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13).

Well described. It seems his death, burial and resurrection was not part of his gospel. Again, my question: what was the content of Jesus' gospel? What exactly did he want them to believe? Did he expect true saving faith to be granted to them as a result of hearing this gospel? Was the gospel to the Jews a different gospel than the one to the Gentiles (revealed to Paul directly)?

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

reformed05

Sep 21, 2019
Private
✟11,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

Jesus did tell us to believe in Him.
He did teach of His death and resurrection.
He did teach e!everything contained in Chritianity.
I don't know why you are saying these things or asking this question. All of Christianity is based on WHO JESUS IS and what He did. He told and
showed us who He is.

Upvote 0