What was the purpose of sacrifices in the Old Testament?

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the Old Testament, animal sacrifices (for atonement) mainly dealt with the transgressions committed under the covenant. The sacrificial system of the covenant dealt with the transgressions of the covenant. However, these things could not truly atone for sin in the real sense before a holy God. They foreshadowed and typologically pointed forward to the one True Sacrifice, Jesus Christ. Jews who saw Christ in these things retrospectively were saved by looking forward, as we are saved looking back, by faith.

Also, I agree with this:
For many reason. For showing gratitude, making supplication, expressing love, atoning for sin, glorifying God...

Thank you for posting this in the debate forum :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Sacrifice was part of the "sacramental system" of ancient religion. It was by nature premodern and prerational. Looking for a singular reason for sacrifice is going to be a fools errand. Much better to try to actually understand the premodern mindset before we go asking those questions.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the Old Testament, animal sacrifices mainly dealt with the transgressions committed under the covenant. The sacrificial system of the covenant dealt with the transgressions of the covenant. However, these things could not truly atone for sin in the real sense before a holy God. They foreshadowed and typologically pointed forward to the one True Sacrifice, Jesus Christ. Jews who saw Christ in these things retrospectively were saved by looking forward, as we are saved looking back, by faith.

Thank you for posting this in the debate forum :D
You can always create a thread here. If you notice, God never asked Abel and Cain for a sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sacrifice was part of the "sacramental system" of ancient religion. It was by nature premodern and prerational. Looking for a singular reason for sacrifice is going to be a fools errand. Much better to try to actually understand the premodern mindset before we go asking those questions.
I always felt they did it vecbeca that was the only way they understood how things work.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I was Protestant, I used to believe it was about God demanding sacrifice like a pagan god, what was the real reason for sacrifices then?

The purpose was atonement for sins committed in ignorance, and also to restore a person to a condition of ritual purity.

Pagan sacrifices were offered for any number of reasons depending what religion it was. Sometimes they were offered for healing, sometimes for good weather abundant crops, etc. It is believed that Mithraists killed a bull as a reenactment of Mithra himself having slain a bull for whatever reason. It's likely based on Taurus but no one really knows.

As far as I know, and I'm certainly subject to being wrong, Judaism is the only religion requiring sacrifice specifically to atone for bad acts.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can always create a thread here. If you notice, God never asked Abel and Cain for a sacrifice.

Ah, sorry, I meant to say that it is one of the reasons for it. My mind is on other threads.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I always felt they did it vecbeca that was the only way they understood how things work.

Yes, it speaks to something intuitive.

Look at how less "civilized" cultures behave, it's very externalizing. People will wail loudly and tear their clothes or fast when grieved, and that is the sort of mindset that sacrifices come from. A world where emotions were externalized into physical acts so that they could be processed (of course, eventually it was formalized through religion, but the origins predate religion). It was not the self-reflective, self-conscious world of modern humanity.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It was not the self-reflective, self-conscious world of modern humanity.
Can't help but think it's the opposite. You could only get the books of Psalms, Proverbs, Job, etc. from people who were much more reflective and conscious than we are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Can't help but think it's the opposite. You could only get the books of Psalms, Proverbs, Job, etc. from people who were much more reflective and conscious than we are.

The notion of an autonomous self did not exist quite as starkly as it does today, it was arguably a product of western culture in the late middle ages. This is why questions of personal salvation are largely absent in the oldest parts of the Old Testament.

Another thing I'd note about the Psalms and most of the OT is an absence of abstract thought. For the Hebrews, abstractions had to be represented concretely through some kind of poetic image.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The notion of an autonomous self did not exist quite as starkly as it does today, it was arguably a product of western culture in the late middle ages. This is why questions of personal salvation are largely absent in the oldest parts of the Old Testament.
The perception of the self existed with the ancient Chinese as well as the ancient Greeks.
Another thing I'd note about the Psalms and most of the OT is an absence of abstract thought. For the Hebrews, abstractions had to be represented concretely through some kind of poetic image.
Same with us today. You can't avoid that.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There was never a commandment from God for a sacrifice that time.

Inferences in Genesis 4:3. God doesn't accept any kind of worship unless he prescribes it and done properly.

Upvote 0