What was the purpose of christ for coming to this earth?

michaeldimmickjr

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Apr 9, 2005
✟8,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
dear rayhodge, could you please further clarify what those sins were and please also elaborate who were sinners of Jesus' days.

There is really only one sin - Pride. All other sin stems from Pride.

The sinners of Jesus' day were the same since humanity first fell up until now and until the final judgement - all of mankind.

Please forgive me.

Michael

Upvote 0
well, I have personally thought alot about it. I want to discuss this idea with others and to learn what others think about the subject. I will be happy to discuss and hear what others think about it.

There r a bunch of verses on this subject:

Matt. 1:21 "...for He will save His people from their sins."
2:6 "...for out of u shall come a Ruler who will Shepherd My people."
4:17 "...Jesus began to preach and to say, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
9:35 "Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people."
12:18 "...He will declare justice to the Gentiles."
12:19-21 "...He sends forth justice to victory; and in His name Gentiles will trust."
13:37 "...He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man."
15:24 "...I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
16:18 "...on this rock I will build My church..."
16:19 "...I will give u the keys of the kingdom of heaven...."
16:21 "From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the 3rd day."
18:11 "For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost."
20:28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
28:18 "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth."
28:20 "teaching them to observe all things that I've commanded u...."
Mark 1:38 "...let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, bec. for this purpose I have come forth."
2:17 "...I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."
10:33-34 "Behold, we're going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and deliver Him to the Gentiles; and they'll mock Him and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him. And the 3rd day He will rise again."

Luke 4:18-19 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, bec. He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who r oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."

4:21 "And He began to say to them, Today this Scripture is fulfilled in ur hearing."
4:43 "...I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, bec. for this purpose I have been sent."
8:1 "Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God...."
9:56 "For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them...."
11:30 "For as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so also the Son of Man will be to this generation."
12:49 "I came to send fire on the earth...."
12:51 "Do u suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell u, not at all, but rather division."
17:25 "...He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation."
19:10 "for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."
24:7 "...the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the 3rd day rise again."
24:46-47 "...thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the 3rd. day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."
John 1:29 "...the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"
1:33 "...this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit."
4:34 "...My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work."
5:21 "...the Son gives life to whom He will."
5:36 "...the very works that I do...bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me."
6:38-39 "...I've come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me...."
9:4 "I must work the works of Him who sent Me...."
9:39 "...for judgment I've come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind."
10:7 "...I am the door of the sheep."
10:10 "...I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."
10:15 "...I lay down My life for the sheep."
10:28 "...I give them eternal life, they shall never perish...."
12:23 "...the hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified."
12:46 "I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness."
13:13 "You call Me teacher and Lord, and u say well, for so I Am."
13:15 "For I have given u an example, that u should do as I have done to u."
14:6 "...I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
17:18 "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world."
18:37 "...you say rightly that I am a King. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
[Note: I'm not sure how well you know churches in the US. This is a forum for the United Church of Christ (UCC). The UCC is a "mainline" church. It believes slightly different things from many other people in Christian Forums. I'm a member of a different mainline church, the Presbyterian Church (USA). I'm going to give you a mainline answer to your question. (Of course one thing about the mainline is that we don't all agree with each other. So this is just one answer. But many postings here are by people who are not part of the UCC or any other mainline church.)]

Jesus gives us an answer to this question. He says he has come to teach the "good news" (the Gospel). The good news says that he is bringing the Kingdom of God. In the Lord's prayer he teaches us to pray for God to bring his Kingdom to earth. Many of his parables are about the Kingdom.

What is the Kingdom of God?
A kingdom is where a king rules. So the Kingdom of God is where God is in charge. That is, it is where people follow God. The full Kingdom won't be here completely until the end of time. But it is here today among Jesus' followers. It is like the seed growing secretly in one of Jesus' stories.

How did Jesus establish the Kingdom?
* By teaching about God: God loves us. He wants us to turn away from our sins, so he can forgive us.
* By welcoming and forgiving everyone. He even welcomed people who were sinners. Many of them were people that the religious leaders looked down on.
* By healing people. This showed God's power and God's desire to help us.
* By dying for us.

How did his death help set up the Kingdom?
The night before Jesus died he shared a meal with his followers, the Last Supper. At that meal he blessed the bread and wine, saying "This is my blood of the new covenant." The new covenant is a reference to Jeremiah 31:31. In that passage the Prophet Jeremiah speaks about a new covenant. In that covenant God would change people's hearts. The Kingdom of God is the people who follow that covenant.
In the Old Testament, establishing a covenant required a sacrifice. There were sacrifices by Noah, Abraham, and Moses when their covenants were established. Jesus' death was the sacrifice for the new covenant. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were normally done by people who sinned. They showed the person's repentance, and dedication to change.
I believe Jesus' death was an act of repentance on our behalf. In Roman 6, Paul says that when we become Christians, in baptism, we die to sin with Christ, and rise with him to new life. He is saying that the Holy Spirit unites us to Christ, and then by being with Christ in death and resurrection, we leave our sins and get new lives.

Where is the Kingdom now?
At the end of time, the Kingdom of God will be everywhere. At the moment it is present with Christ's followers. But we aren't supposed to keep it private. In the Great Commission, Jesus sends us into the world. Our mission is to bring everyone into the Kingdom, by telling them about Jesus, and by showing his love to them.
But the Kingdom of God isn't just individuals. It's the Church, a community of those who follow Jesus. We show the love of God by how we treat others in the Church. Members of the Church help each other bring the Kingdom to others.

Upvote 0

veronicajohn

Sep 21, 2013
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came, I believe, for all the reasons talked about here...and also to show us how to live our lives. He is our example to follow - His kindness, strength, justice, compassion are all there in the scriptures for us to emulate.

I read once that to pray or act in Jesus' name is much more than to simply use the words, 'in Jesus' name' - it means to be walking carefully in his footsteps and to be becoming as much like Him as we can.

Just my take on it... :)

Upvote 0

kingdomfirst

Sep 5, 2013
✟216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the end of time, the Kingdom of God will be everywhere. At the moment it is present with Christ's followers. But we aren't supposed to keep it private. In the Great Commission, Jesus sends us into the world. Our mission is to bring everyone into the Kingdom, by telling them about Jesus, and by showing his love to them.
But the Kingdom of God isn't just individuals. It's the Church, a community of those who follow Jesus. We show the love of God by how we treat others in the Church. Members of the Church help each other bring the Kingdom to others.

Isn't the Kingdom a Heavenly Government?

(Daniel 2:44) 44 “And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.

Is it not going to crush and put an end to all kingdoms or Government's that are on the earth, don't forget Satan offered Jesus all the Kingdoms of the earth if he would do one act of worship to him.

(Matthew 4:8-11) 8 Again the Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, 9 and he said to him: “All these things I will give you if you fall down and do an act of worship to me.” 10 Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” 11 Then the Devil left him, and, look! angels came and began to minister to him.

Thy Kingdom come thy will be done where?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Isn't the Kingdom a Heavenly Government?

(Daniel 2:44) 44 “And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.

Is it not going to crush and put an end to all kingdoms or Government's that are on the earth, don't forget Satan offered Jesus all the Kingdoms of the earth if he would do one act of worship to him.

It's heavenly in the sense that "heaven" (a Jewish euphemism for God) is in charge of it. I.e. it's *from* heaven. But it's not only in heaven. It wouldn't put to an end the kingdoms of this world if it didn't extend to this world as well. Of course Daniel is speaking of the full Kingdom, which will be present only in the end. Now it's only present in part, in Jesus' followers. But it's still present on earth.

Herod and Pilate understood quite well that the God's rule claims everything, in heaven and on earth. Otherwise Jesus' wouldn't have been killed (not to mention the children in the birth story). But from a practical point of view, short of the End the Kingdom of God can never be synonymous with human society. Confusing them can result in problems, because the Kingdom's human agents are sinful and all too open to temptations that can result in abusive governments. Thus the mainline tradition tends to see the Church's role as basically prophetic, but avoids actual theocracy.

(Matthew 4:8-11) 8 Again the Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, 9 and he said to him: “All these things I will give you if you fall down and do an act of worship to me.” 10 Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” 11 Then the Devil left him, and, look! angels came and began to minister to him.

Thy Kingdom come thy will be done where?

On earth, as it is in heaven.

The exact relationship between Church and State is open for discussion among Christians, I think. The Kingdom of God doesn't necessarily displace earthly governments, but it certainly claims God's ownership of everything, and it has implications for how a government among Christians would work. I'm not a great admirer of theocracy, unless it's God himself ruling.

The Biblical picture of the End does, it seems to me, completely replace human government with the direct rule of God (actually Christ, I think). But we're not there yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[Note: I'm not sure how well you know churches in the US.

First of all, nobody needs to know that which is man made and NOT according to Scripture, if it differes from the pattern of the apostles.

1 Cor. 1:13 "Is Christ divided?...."

1 Cor. 1:10 "...speak the same thing, and that there be NO divisions among u...."

This is a forum for the United Church of Christ (UCC). The UCC is a "mainline" church. It believes slightly different things from many other people in Christian Forums.

1 Tim. 1:3 "...teach no other doctrine."

2 Tim. 1:13 "Hold fast the pattern of sound words which u have heard from me, in faith and love which r in Christ Jesus."

Titus 1:9 "holding fast the faithful word he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict."

1 Tim. 4:13 "Take heed to urself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this u will save both urself and those who hear u."

Matt. 28:20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded u...."

Eph. 4:4 "There is ONE body and ONE Spirit, just as u were called in ONE hope of ur calling;"

5 "ONE Lord, ONE FAITH, ONE baptism

Rev. 22 regarding adding to, or taking away from His word.

I'm a member of a different mainline church, the Presbyterian Church (USA). I'm going to give you a mainline answer to your question. (Of course one thing about the mainline is that we don't all agree with each other. So this is just one answer. But many postings here are by people who are not part of the UCC or any other mainline church.)]

1 Cor. 3:11 "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Acts 5:29 "...we ought to obey God rather than men."

Gal. 1 It gives a warning 2 times about preaching any other gospel.

Jesus gives us an answer to this question. He says he has come to teach the "good news" (the Gospel). The good news says that he is bringing the Kingdom of God. In the Lord's prayer he teaches us to pray for God to bring his Kingdom to earth. Many of his parables are about the Kingdom.

What is the Kingdom of God?
A kingdom is where a king rules. So the Kingdom of God is where God is in charge. That is, it is where people follow God. The full Kingdom won't be here completely until the end of time. But it is here today among Jesus' followers. It is like the seed growing secretly in one of Jesus' stories.

How did Jesus establish the Kingdom?
* By teaching about God: God loves us. He wants us to turn away from our sins, so he can forgive us.
* By welcoming and forgiving everyone. He even welcomed people who were sinners. Many of them were people that the religious leaders looked down on.

Yes, but they did not retain their sins, if they were penitent.

* By healing people. This showed God's power and God's desire to help us.
* By dying for us.

How did his death help set up the Kingdom?
The night before Jesus died he shared a meal with his followers, the Last Supper. At that meal he blessed the bread and wine, saying "This is my blood of the new covenant." The new covenant is a reference to Jeremiah 31:31. In that passage the Prophet Jeremiah speaks about a new covenant. In that covenant God would change people's hearts. The Kingdom of God is the people who follow that covenant.

The new covenant is the N.T.

In the Old Testament, establishing a covenant required a sacrifice. There were sacrifices by Noah, Abraham, and Moses when their covenants were established. Jesus' death was the sacrifice for the new covenant. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were normally done by people who sinned. They showed the person's repentance, and dedication to change.
I believe Jesus' death was an act of repentance on our behalf. In Roman 6, Paul says that when we become Christians, in baptism, we die to sin with Christ, and rise with him to new life. He is saying that the Holy Spirit unites us to Christ, and then by being with Christ in death and resurrection, we leave our sins and get new lives.

Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice and is our High Priest forever.

Heb. 4:14 "...we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God...."

At the end of time, the Kingdom of God will be everywhere.

The kingdom of God is being preached and spreading = His church

At the moment it is present with Christ's followers. But we aren't supposed to keep it private. In the Great Commission, Jesus sends us into the world. Our mission is to bring everyone into the Kingdom, by telling them about Jesus, and by showing his love to them.

Heb. 12:2 "looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith...."

1 Tim. 1:3 "...teach no other doctrine."

Col. 1:18 "...He is the head of the body, the church..."

Context is everything....

Matt. 9:35 "...Jesus went about ...teaching...preaching the gospel of the kingdom...."

Matt. 10:7 "...as u go, preach, saying the kingdom of heaven is at hand." [i.e. the church]

Mk 1:15 "...the time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."

4:11 "...to u it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who r outside, all things come in parables."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums