What type of Christian ["Calvinist"] are you?

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Seeing that this site was deleted, I figured I'd post this here for reference, I don't know if it helps anyone understand our differences... but perhaps it will. If at all possible could someone sticky this to make it easier for everyone? If not, I understand, it's not THAT important. Also, I didn't find this, someone else posted it several months ago (if not a year ago), so credit to this does not go to me in no-wise. The title was originally, "What type of Calvinist are you?" However, seeing as it included American Baptists, Lutherans, Arminians, I figure the title is better deserved, "What type of Christian are you?" I say this in case you are in search of the original.
What type of Christian are you?

1. Hyper-Calvinism: Beliefs: God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation, also known as Neo-Gnostic Calvinism.
Proponents: Joseph Hussey John Skepp and some English primitive Baptists.

2. Ultra High Calvinism: Beliefs: That the elect are in some sense eternally justified. A denial of: The Well– Meant Offer; Common Grace; and God having any love for the non-elect.
Proponents: John Gill, some ministers in the Protestant Reformed Church of America

3. High Calvinism: Beliefs: That God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the Well-Meant Offer. Supralapsarian viewing God’s decrees. All hold to limited atonement. Most believe in particular grace and see the atonement as sufficient only for the elect.
Proponents: Theodore Beza, Gordon Clark, Arthur Pink

4. Moderate Calvinism: Beliefs: That God does in some sense desires to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian in viewing God’s decrees. Affirms Common Grace.
Proponents: John Calvin (some argue that he was a High-Calvinist), John Murray, RL Dabney

5. Low Calvinism: Beliefs: That Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the Well-Meant Offer and Common Grace.
Proponents: Amyraldrians , RT Kendal

6. Lutheranism: Beliefs: That Calvinist over emphasize God Sovereignty over man’s responsibility. That Christ died for all in legal sense, that some are predestined on to life but none are predestined onto death. That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. Proponents: Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon, Rod Rosenbladt

7. American Baptist: Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure. Rejects Calvinism, some would even call it heretical. Proponents: Jerry Falwell, Adrian Rogers

8. Arminianism Beliefs: That God has given man libertarian freedom, that God’s knowledge of future is solely based on His foreknowledge. That Christ died for all and desires all to be saved. A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion.
Proponents: Jacob Arminius, John Wesley some Methodists

Last edited:

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Who a Christian is" is defined (at least by quite a few Protestants that I know) as a sinner saved by God's grace alone through faith alone in the Person and merits of Jesus Christ alone.

This chart you've posted looks familiar.......... and by it's criteria I am in between 3 and 4. According to the historical view as put forward by the likes of Toon or Daniel, I am a moderate Particular Baptist.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Who a Christian is" is defined (at least by quite a few Protestants that I know) as a sinner saved by God's grace alone through faith alone in the Person and merits of Jesus Christ alone.

This chart you've posted looks familiar.......... and by it's criteria I am in between 3 and 4. According to the historical view as put forward by the likes of Toon or Daniel, I am a moderate Particular Baptist.

True. :)

Someone posted it awhile ago, and it used to be on some website. Apparently the website was taken down though:

http://www.exegiaaudio.org/exegiacalvinsimweb.mht

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Interesting the way it is laid out. The way the definitions are written, it is clearly written by a Calvinist. Nonetheless, as the terms are defined above, I would be an Arminianist. But, the reality is that my theology is probably more Wesleyan than it is Arminian. However, I think even that fails to grasp some of the nuances. As a broad generalization, this list is infinitely better than the notion sometimes promoted around here that all Christians are either "Calvinist" or "Arminian".

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Strict Baptist. I agree with Gill, Brine, Crisp, Huntington, Gadsby, Warburton, Philpot, Tiptaft, Kershaw, Popham, Gosden, Fortner, and in general the Gospel Standard Baptists.

Really dumb question: when you say Kershaw, who are you talking about? I ask because that is my family name, and I wasn't aware of a Kershaw who was well known in Baptist circles. So, I am just curious.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Strict Baptist. I agree with Gill, Brine, Crisp, Huntington, Gadsby, Warburton, Philpot, Tiptaft, Kershaw, Popham, Gosden, Fortner, and in general the Gospel Standard Baptists.
AND I LOVE YOU.......... even in our differences! :)

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Really dumb question: when you say Kershaw, who are you talking about? I ask because that is my family name, and I wasn't aware of a Kershaw who was well known in Baptist circles. So, I am just curious.

He was instrumental among strict baptist congregations in England. Gospel Standard Baptists.

His books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

dies-l

Did some more research and realized that you are talking about John Kershaw. Interestingly, my dad had the same name and was a Methodist pastor, who was very proud of his Weslyan roots. I get the impression that these two "John Kershaw"s would not have gotten along too well. ^_^

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

He was instrumental among strict baptist congregations in England. Gospel Standard Baptists.

His books.

Thanks for the info. It kinda makes me want to buy the autobiography just because of his name. ^_^

Forgive me. Kershaw is just one of those names that is uncommon enough where I am from that I don't run across it often, but common enough elsewhere (especially England and the US South) that I run into it enough to be amused to run across people (especially semi-famous people) with the same first and last name combination.

I learn something new about the family name all the time. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info. It kinda makes me want to buy the autobiography just because of his name. ^_^

If you do you will not regret it. What trials this man in God's providence went through is really hard for me who grew up with everything to comprehend. A man of God.

Kershaw is a fine handsome English name, you should be proud. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God is the author of sin, That the elect are in some sense eternally justified,Christ died for all in a legal sense, some are predestined on to life, God’s knowledge of future is based on His foreknowledge, Once a persons believes the gospel, he is eternally secure.
Yes.
A person can fall from the state of grace i.e. lose ones salvation, since it is our free will that chooses Christ at conversion.That the sacraments are means of grace regardless of one’s faith. See the atonement as sufficient only for the elect. A denial of God having any love for the non-elect. Man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only preached to the elect. i.e. duty faith. and anti-missionary Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation
No.

So there are good points across the board, but the only place that I find nothing out-right objectionable is the American Baptist. As such I am a Baptist.

Upvote 0