• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What turns me away #2

Discussion in 'Struggles by Non-Christians' started by primarymay, Nov 19, 2017.

1. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    But do they still die?

2. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    Well death came by way of Adam and Eve. Right, so if other life forms from other planets can expire, then is death and sin not connected as the bible points out.

3. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+10,271
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Others
    Keep reading. It goes on to say that the judgment is that people preferred their evil deeds. And that's kind of a general thrust of what the New Testament says: everyone stands condemned by their own sin, and so no one is righteous through their own efforts. As such salvation comes from outside of ourselves, from God out of His grace.

And if you want to believe that you are welcome to that belief. As a Christian, however, I don't share that belief. I believe God is far more loving and merciful than that.

-CryptoLutheran

4. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    There's more to life than good and evil.

This was the warning, the temptation.
    The picture of God from the bible fast became bipolar, due to the condition that humans were infected by a polarized mental state.

God was seen and written accordingly around their concepts of good and evil.
    How would they have known the inpact of a good God? But the authors of Genesis knew something, that wanting to know good was as destructive as wanting to know evil.

This is our downfall, that we have created a world of laws and regulations that is adapted to our flawed perception of good and evil. As we reach to know that good or evil fruit ever more, we poison ourselves and society around us.

Good and evil are but refractive, you can't want to know one or the other without the opposite returning to you.

Begs the question "Why does bad thing's happen to good people"

Because they think they are good.

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+1,031
    Non-Denom
    Married
    How is that different from the view that life has no purpose, there is no morality, no justice and at the end no hope?

6. Halbhh

Halbhh Hubble telescope saw in empty sky....galaxies! Supporter

+1,316
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    After hundreds of posts, I haven't heard anyone say that if there are humanoids on other planets then we know that Christ would never in any way come to them, and then they are only saved if they hear from us the gospel, etc. Or that they would be judged with us they way we will.

If someone said such, you should consider it their own personal speculation.

From reading many thousands of astrophysics articles that are more technical than the popular science level though, I don't think we should expect humaniods on other planets anwhere near (like even in our whole galaxy), actaully. It would be amazing if it happened even one other time in our galaxy, as I understand it.

We could expect primitive forms of life on some planets in our galaxy though that hasn't been yet exterminated by asteriod bombardment or orbital migration or sudden intense flare or CME....sure. But that's not the same as intelligent humanoids of course! It's fun to learn more of the astrophysics than you get in an imaginative popular article!

But, for myself, I doubt very seriously the idea that fish or dinosaurs have souls. Lizards -- not too likely. Birds? No. See? Algae -- no. Etc.

Does that help?

7. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    I would think morality would differ from planet to planet, universal morality would not be effective in a evolving universe.

8. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    Every living thing has a soul, a bioelectrical body. Why would the creator make a universe full of beings only to throw it all in the oven.

Even flowers have a spiritual body.

9. Halbhh

+1,316
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, I don't mind if you use another terminology!

Then, we, and not those other species, are the ones whom are the only souls we know from scriptures will be Judged.

Only ours.

As Paul wrote it --
    "sin is not counted where there is no law."

10. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    I don't buybull.

11. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+1,031
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Why should that be true?
    Is morality different in different towns or countries hereon earth?

12. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    Who knows, maybe you don't need to know whats good and evil to create a moral system.

13. Halbhh

+1,316
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    When you said before: " I guess every other humanoid stands condemned."

Do you mean just like this then --

Fred -- "I hear Jim says he's going to shoot wolves across the border in Alberta. What they they do to him? Why is he going to shoot them?"

Me -- "Wait a minute, Jim only said he was shooting wolves here in Montana on this one ranch, nothing at all about Alberta."

Fred -- "Don't tell me anything Jim said about what wolves he will shoot. Tell me why he is going to be shooting wolves in Alberta."

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  14. War_Eagle

War_Eagle Member

+84
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I like the way you keep starting these threads about "what turns you away", as if you were ever turned "toward" in the first place.

15. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    I was once a true believer, I was a real religious nut. But after my whole world was shattered, I soon saw that Jesus was not there to pick me up.

The bible did not comfort me anymore, and my prayers were just wasted breath.

16. Halbhh

+1,316
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Few seem to learn how He said to pray, and just pray in the ways that are against or unlike what He said to do, learned in some church.

17. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    I do not understand.

18. War_Eagle

War_Eagle Member

+84
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    If you were a religious nut, then I think we've identified your problem.

I actually do hear this a lot from atheists who want to claim they were Christians. The problem is that they believe they were Christians by their own choice and, as a result, just chose to not be Christians when it became difficult.

But if you had actually been Christians, then you would know what the Bible says about Christians and Christianity.

19. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    A person can only believe as much as they believe, belief is belief and is what is required from the God of the bible.

That's all this god asked for, my belief, and that's what I gave him. It should have been enough to set the wheels in motion.

If you don't see your own faith crystallize into something dynamic, then belief is futile. No use for me continuing to believe when belief doesn't actually do anything.

20. primarymay

primarymay Member

+13
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    A person can only believe as much as they believe, belief is belief and is what is required from the God of the bible.

That's all this god asked for, my belief, and that's what I gave him. It should have been enough to set the wheels in motion.

If you don't see your own faith crystallize into something dynamic, then belief is futile. No use for me continuing to believe when belief doesn't actually do anything.