• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What translations do most here like?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by LittleLambofJesus, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+28,327
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    So what is everyones favorite translation and does it really matter whether the Translations are accurate or not.

I read a lot from a Greek/Hebrew interlinear, and I like Young's LT translation for it literalness and accuracy and the NIV Chronological for casual reading. Thoughts?

Nahum 3:2 The sound of a Whip, And the sound of the rattling of a wheel, And of a prancing horse, and of a bounding chariot, Of a horseman mounting.

Revelation 18:8 because of this, in one day, shall come her Stripes [#4127], death, and sorrow, and famine; and in fire she shall be utterly burned, because strong [is] the Lord God who is judging her; [Isaiah 28 "Scourge"]

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+28,327
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Hi. I really am curious about translations that fellow Christ-ians use for reading the Bible. Thoughts?

http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm

[Young LT] Matt 23:33 "Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of the gehenna? [not hell as in most translations]

(NKJV) Matthew 23:33 "Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?

(ASV) Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell?

3. christianmomof3

christianmomof3 pursuing Christ

+1,034
    Christian
    Married
    We have the Youngs, although it is my husband's and I have not read it much - I do like the more literal translations.
    I also love the Amplified New Testament for study purposes.
    Right now I am reading the NASB because I have one in Giant Print, and I need new glasses.
    But, I do not like it quite as much as the Revised Standard Version and the Recovery Version.
    I do like accuracy and the more literal translations.
    I also use the Blue Letter Bible online.

4. billwald

billwald Contributor

+28
    Christian
    Married
    The Jerusalem Bible.

5. dave90

dave90 Guest

+0

i use this one too.

6. Zecryphon

Zecryphon Well-Known Member

+1,842
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I myself, will always have a soft spot in my heart for the NIV. This was the translation that I was reading from with a pastor at an Evangelical Free church while I was looking into Christianity. I later got "saved' at that church. I have a copy of the Archaeological Bible which is in NIV. I also have a copy of the ESV and the NASB bibles as well. When I want a literal translation that isn't as stiff as the NASB, I go for the ESV. Of all three I probably like the ESV the best, but very few Bibles are available in that translation because it is still pretty new. I would have loved a Thompson Chain Reference in ESV, but they have no plans of printing one up.

7. S Walch

S Walch -

+162
    Seeker
    Single
    My translation of choice is the NLT.

Seems to do a very good mix of literal/meaning translation of the Scriptures.

8. daveleau

daveleau In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind

+677
    Christian
    Married
    Accuracy matters, of course. I recognize the difficulty of translating from the complex Greek language into the complex (but less expressive) English language. So, no Egnlish Bible is going to capture 100% of the Greek meaning.

My research has me leaning more towards UBS4/NA27 based Bibles over the Textus Receptus Bibles.

For word study, I use the NASB because it is a very literal translation.

For general reading/devotions, I use the NIV, because it is easier to read.

For general study, I use a parallel New Testament that has the NIV, NKJV, HCSB, ESV, and another parallel Bible that has the NASB, KJV, NIV and Amplified.

Of those I find accurate in my studies (I have studied each, and have found poorer translations of words in each, but still find these to be highly reliable, especially when compared with each other and with the Greek):
    NIV, ESV, HCSB, NASB, NRSV (not in any order)
    KJV, NKJV as well

Bibles I use with reservation:
    Amplified (must be used in word studies only)
    Message, NLT, NCV- paraphrased versions (use for reading enjoyment only, not study)

9. IgnatiusOfAntioch

IgnatiusOfAntioch Contributor

+448
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    RSV (not the NRSV) is the most accurate modern language translation. The New Jersulam Bible is the most beautiful, in my opinion. I also have a KJV1611 and a DRB translation, but the antiquated language makes them difficult to read.

10. Zimfan

Zimfan Well-Known Member

+45
    Protestant
    Engaged
    US-Libertarian
    I grew up with an NIV, and a KJV. Since one of my college courses requires a more literal version of the bible(RSV suggested) I had to buy a new one. No RSVs at the bookstore, so I picked up the ESV. If it's as good as some of the people in this thread have said, I may be using that one for study from now on.

11. FleurDeLiz

FleurDeLiz Hear, O Earth, the words of my Mouth ~ Deut 32

+32
    Non-Denom
    Married
    NKJV is our church version, but I also like the KJV and NIV.

I'm currently looking for an Amplified Bible for a good price. lol

Our pastor sometimes reads from the Amplified.

12. seekingpurity047

seekingpurity047 Why am I not surprised

+144
    Calvinist
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    ESV, NKJV, NIV, NASB, etc. In that order.

13. Im_A

Im_A Legend

+1,359
    Humanist
    In Relationship
    NRSV for me

14. synger

synger Confessional Liturgical Lutheran Supporter

+1,420
    Christian
    Married
    I use NKJV, RSV and NIV for general study, though I have a bunch of other translations as well. My Geneva Study Bible is NKJV, and my Thompson Chain Reference is NIV (I LOVE that chain reference).

I use The New English Bible and The Message for reading.

The New English Bible was one I got from a yard-sale because of two things -- it has the Apocryphal books in it and I wanted to read them, and it is laid out in single-column with the verse numbers in the margins, so you don't get distracted when reading it. We got the Message NT for family devotions since we got tired of the too-easy stories in our 5yo daughter's toddler Bible, but she's not ready for the more scholarly translations yet.

When I do in-depth study, I use a parallel Bible that is (thinks a moment) NIV, KJV, Amplified, and .. I think RSV. I have an eight-version parallel New Testament that includes Greek (though what good it does me when I have no clue of Greek is beyond me, but it's nice to have the other seven translations right there). From looking at Amazon, it has Greek, Rheims, KJV, NIV, NRSV, NASB, NAB, and Amplified

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.