walking.away.123

Mar 24, 2004
None
✟25,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've seen lots of stuff about what your coronavirus playlist or streaming choices, but if you're Orthodox and possibly facing what's in the title, what would you read or listen to? We know that some of us may miss Pascha and are currently not attending services, but there's another thread for that. What would you do? Pray more for the horologian and some of the akathists? Read works of asceticism? Read books of theology? Some combination? What's your Orthodox playlist? Other than oats, nuts, dried fruits, and canned food, what can do you stock up on for the very long term?
Luckily, I'm in one of the countries that kept things under control. Kids are in school, I'm going to work, and I just did a 2 hour hike. But God knows.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've seen lots of stuff about what your coronavirus playlist or streaming choices, but if you're Orthodox and possibly facing what's in the title, what would you read or listen to? We know that some of us may miss Pascha and are currently not attending services, but there's another thread for that. What would you do? Pray more for the horologian and some of the akathists? Read works of asceticism? Read books of theology? Some combination? What's your Orthodox playlist? Other than oats, nuts, dried fruits, and canned food, what can do you stock up on for the very long term?
Luckily, I'm in one of the countries that kept things under control. Kids are in school, I'm going to work, and I just did a 2 hour hike. But God knows.
Regarding church, Lent and Holy Week, our parish will be reading the story of St Mary of Egypt tonight, we are having a Bible study every Tuesday, a fellowship time with the women or men respectively once a week, and the skeleton services. We also have some Facebook groups for fellowship with our parish. We all have a person or family that we are specifically praying for and are reaching out to each other to keep in touch - with everyone, but especially the ones we are specifically praying for. We are still thinking up more ideas :). Beyond that, we have the Psalter, theology books, digital music (I like Google Play or Apple Music) with groups like St Tikhon’s, St Vlad’s, Russian choral groups, etc. There also are some Orthodox audio books and audio books of the saints.

Regarding food, you can have a lot of frozen foods in a deep freezer. If you have flour and water, you can make bread. Onions store long term in dark spaces, as do potatoes and some other root veggies. I’m growing veggies outside as well ;) Instacart is great as well for a shipment of fresh fruits and veggies. Blue Apron, Hello Fresh and other services like that are great, though Purple Carrot is the most Lent friendly.

Lol, it was kind of crazy yesterday. We came home late (skeleton service) and decided to get Chipotle. We ordered online. I stayed in the car. My husband got the food and put it in the trunk, I opened the car window and gave him hand sanitizer. When we got home, so got the plates and brought them outside, we opened the food outside from the bags and wrappers and put them on the plates, my husband threw out all the trash from the meal, I nuked the burritos, I let him in and pumped the soap and turned on the water...and then we sat down to eat lol. We probably looked crazy :)

• Haha
Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One good selection is: The Saving Work of Christ, sermons of St. Gregory (Palamas) of the major feasts of the Church. The whole collection is less than 150 pp. ; it is profound & understandable. I think any Christian could find most of it helpful within their faith understanding.

The Saving Work of Christ: Sermons by Saint Gregory Palamas

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0