USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I purchased a couple study Bibles by Thomas Nelson and was appalled when I was reading the commentary on the 10 commandments regarding the Sabbath. While the author admits Saturday is the Sabbath they go on to say that most Christians worship on Sunday as that is the day Christ rose and Sunday worship follows the same principles. I am always surprised how many people don't understand this basic principle that Saturday is the only day God asked us to worship him, which is stated over and over again in the Bible.
Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these. least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of. Mathew 5:19

What do I do with these Bibles? They are NKJV and I don't want to give them to anyone to lead them astray and throwing it away doesn't seem right either as the Bible is correct, its just the misguided commentary. Any ideas? I have since purchased new study Bibles from an SDA site. Thanks in advance.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Superstition as to when God says to rest on the one day in seven doesn’t do anyone any good. Does God change times and seasons? Apparently not because as with all His care for His children the need for rest is commanded. If you want to be a stickler for propriety you ought to remain in your tent and fast. Nothing else.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Superstition as to when God says to rest on the one day in seven doesn’t do anyone any good. Does God change times and seasons? Apparently not because as with all His care for His children the need for rest is commanded. If you want to be a stickler for propriety you ought to remain in your tent and fast. Nothing else.
Hi,
I'm not being a stickler as you put it, but if you want to read and believe in the Bible I would rather not cherry pick the parts I want to obey, especially when it comes to The Commandments. God Bless you in your search for truth.

By the way I don't even own a tent!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,
I'm not being a stickler as you put it, but if you want to read and believe in the Bible I would rather not cherry pick the parts I want to obey, especially when it comes to The Commandments. God Bless you in your search for truth.

By the way I don't even own a tent!
Jesus, who is Lord of the sabbath, tabernacled among us. Your tent is your body, the fast is toward Christ. The original mention of keeping the sabbath means rest. No human did what God did in creation so the example is not there. It’s in the giving of the manna, which is also Christ. But I’m in a forum that I wasn’t aware when first responding :blush:

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus, who is Lord of the sabbath, tabernacled among us. Your tent is your body, the fast is toward Christ. The original mention of keeping the sabbath means rest. No human did what God did in creation so the example is not there. It’s in the giving of the manna, which is also Christ. But I’m in a forum that I wasn’t aware when first responding :blush:
Ironically, the 4th Commandment is the only one that begins with Remember

Exodus 20:8-10 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.”

3. Deuteronomy 5:12 “Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you.”

God gave us the 10 Commandments as an example of how we should live/moral law. If the day of the week didn't matter, God would not have been so specific, nor would it have been written in stone. It's important to Him, so I want to make it important to me.

Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.
- Leviticus 23:3

Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
- Leviticus 24:8
Sabbath is mentioned over 170 times in the Bible.
God bless you friend.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our differences are in the view of flesh and spirit. We’re not to see Christ according to the flesh anymore. The difference between calling on Husband vs calling on Baal. Hosea 2:16

Like the new wineskin's transformation into a new and living way, the old wineskin is more being conformed to law and legalism.

Many people are still steeped in the old.

The mount of tranfigeration was a passing of the torch from law and prophets to grace. Above all else God wants our obedience to Him.

1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied:
"Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

Hebrews 10:8-9
First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made). 9Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second.

The old and the new

They said to him, "John's disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking."

5:34
Jesus answered, "Can you make the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them?

5:35
But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast."

Isaiah 58:3-6
3 'Why have we fasted,' they say,
'and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?'
"Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.
4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD ?
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I can't seem to follow the scriptures you quoted where God asks us not to keep Sabbath or break the 4th Commandment.

God does say

If you love me Keep my Commandments John 14:15 (I don't see where He said keep my 9 commandments)

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.

I John 2:3
Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

There is a lot more scripture supporting keeping God's Commandants which includes the 4th Commandment/Sabbath keeping and is the only one that starts with Remember, when few worship Him on the traditional day the Lord asked us to and not the day man changed it to.

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think it comes somewhere between flesh and spirit.
So in your opinion- we should no longer follow the Commandments, even though the scripture states repeatedly to do so?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Cassia,

One of the last verses in the Bible in Revelations:14 says: Blessed are those that do His Commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter through the gates to the city.

I don't know about you friend but keeping the 10 Commandments in Flesh and Spirit is not such a hard task when you have God guiding you. It doesn't mean you live your life in a tent and nothing more. God wants you to enjoy your life- friends, family, spouse. Most Christians seem to be okay with 9 of the 10 Commandments and again the only Commandment that starts with Remember is the one most have forgotten. Sabbath keeping is important because it strengthens your relationship with God and too easy to backslide when you don't keep keep this Commandment, trust me I know.

God bless

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being in the wrong forum forfeits the right to debate with you. But your misrepresenting my posts. I said the ordered example was to stay in the tent when manna was not given.

Remember, to everyone but you I guess, means eucharist remembrance, which is the same argument, imo, as whether remembering Christ’s body can be realistically found in a loaf of bread someone baked or whether it is symbolically taken as an identification with Him. Identifying with Him at all times in that case would mean carrying a loaf of bread to continually feed on Him. Sorry but that makes no sense to me either.

Remembering Him also means faith, but He wondered whether He would find any when He returned.

I’ll be leaving this conversation now because it’s not the right forum for me to be speaking into.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So in your opinion- we should no longer follow the Commandments, even though the scripture states repeatedly to do so?
Again misquoting. Flesh and spirit are symbolized at the altar and at the lavar old tabernacle (tent) which is fire and water. That’s before entering the holy place which is no longer for the priests of the old covenant but is the throne room where the prayers of saints are gathered. It seems it shouldn’t be an issue outside of civic issues.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Cassia,

I am new to this forum and not sure of all the rules, but I think you're allowed to debate politely. That said I am going to ask other more experienced debaters to step in if they want. I am not interpreting the scriptures the same way as you. To me, the Bible and God is very clear on what He is asking us to do and how we honor/obey Him. You said above all God wants our obedience to Him, which includes His law and is repeated throughout the Bible. I personally don't want to take the risk and think if I believe and by Grace alone that is enough (as it could be with some- only He knows) but I believe God wants us to "do" and obey His laws as quoted in the last book of the Bible Revelations:14 says: Blessed are those that do His Commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter through the gates to the city.

Even if you are right, I don't see the harm in obeying the 10 Commandments. I think its a good way to live- love for God, love for your neighbors, don't lie, kill, and worship Him on Sabbath. I don't view it as a legalistic way of living, which is imo Satan's way of wanting people to view it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I purchased a couple study Bibles by Thomas Nelson and was appalled when I was reading the commentary on the 10 commandments regarding the Sabbath. While the author admits Saturday is the Sabbath they go on to say that most Christians worship on Sunday as that is the day Christ rose and Sunday worship follows the same principles. I am always surprised how many people don't understand this basic principle that Saturday is the only day God asked us to worship him, which is stated over and over again in the Bible.
Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these. least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of. Mathew 5:19

What do I do with these Bibles? They are NKJV and I don't want to give them to anyone to lead them astray and throwing it away doesn't seem right either as the Bible is correct, its just the misguided commentary. Any ideas? I have since purchased new study Bibles from an SDA site. Thanks in advance.

You already have replacements so I think you are ok. I keep my old Bibles around in case there is a Bible study at my home and some folks are there who did not bring a Bible.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,761.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Keep them for reference as to how people are being led astray. Just look at what the Pope is doing separating the Sabbath as the "Jewish Sabbath" and the Jews are ok with it because they think the Pope is endorsing it, far from it.
Chief Rabbi of Tsfat Excited After Pope Calls to Observe Jewish-Style Sabbath

Notice the Pope calls it a "custom"...Pope Francis says he likes the Jewish custom of Shabbat

Upvote 0