Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have several books on my e-reader that I pirated. I told myself I would read these and then purchase the rest of the novels in these series, thereby stopping my piracy act from this point forward.

Now after reading some more of the 'Confessions' (a free download from the Kobo store) I feel that it may be best to delete what I pirated...

What would you all suggest?

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have already purchased a legitimate version of a novel but then decide to pirate the exact same, it is not an issue.

The problem with pirating is that a person steals the product of someone's hard work, without them ever receiving any credit for it.

I have just done a little research on the 'Kobo' and I understand that it is not associated with pirating. The company simply allowed its users to gain free access to novels, in this case 'Confessions' (under the acknowledgment of the publisher). For the majority of the material, you still have to pay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you guys for your input. I will delete what I have and buy legitimate copies if I am still interested in the future.

I have noticed that if I pirate some ebook that holds my interest I will eventually buy something from the author legally as well.

Most of time I wouldn’t have paid to get introduced to the author but this way he or she gets at least something.

Disclaimer : This is obviously stealing so from moral point wrong. I also support authors making their first book in series considerably cheaper of even free to captive the reader.

Like excellent free first book

https://www.amazon.com/Internationa...&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+hunter+international

Just bought the latest in series for 12 bucks.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have several books on my e-reader that I pirated.
You have to be careful with pirated stuff. It can have a virus that can mess up your computer. If you deal with criminals then don't be surprised what you end up with. We need to associate with the right people and not people that want to break the law.

Reactions: YCGP
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But, getting a book for free or really cheap from Amazon or Barnes and Noble isn't pirating. Both of them often sell the first book in a series really cheap in hopes you'll buy the rest.

I believe the poster was mentioning the free/cheap Amazon, or B&N offerings as a legal alternative to downloading pirated books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would say that there are a few cases where piracy is acceptable:

1. the content creator and owner says it's fine. This isn't terribly common, but there are a lot of cases where it's true.
2. the work is no longer under copyright. This is the case for older media.

There are some cases where I think the issues are gray and don't think it's so bad but there are complexities (like, if you're torrenting, you may be uploading it as well, which is not so good)
3. If you've purchased the material - though note that a lot of services will give you free electronic access to materials you've purchased
4. If the material is out of print and there is no possible way of purchasing the item - especially if there are no plans to release the material again. However, for e-books, the "in-print" issue is not such a big deal unless the publisher goes out of business or something.

There are plenty of legal ways to get e-books for free or cheap - many public libraries have methods of doing this!

Upvote 0