What to do when you’ve back slid

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Your focus is on yourself, remember it isn't about anything you have ever done that saved you other than accepting God's greatest gift. The trick Satan loves to use is reminding us constantly about how short we fall from perfection (our good works) and it isn't what we do or don't do that saves us other than putting our faith in Jesus' works instead of our own works (sins anyone?). Every time Satan tricks you into sinning and uses it to hammer you down to distance yourself from God scream out to him and hold him fast in your time of great need.
Sin reminds us how badly we need God in our lives, if we never sinned we would not need salvation.
To focus on your sins is to lose sight of his sinlessness.
Sure it is bad to sin, but without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God, so put your faith to work and focus on faith instead of your shortcomings (sins). Remind Satan that you are saved by the blood of the lamb of God every time he reminds you of your sinfulness. I've seen too many people who call themselves Christian do terrible things compared to inappropriate content like having affairs, divorcing and abandoning God and their families and friends altogether.
inappropriate content isn't a good thing but rather a stumble so get back up and do something else that gives you less time to be tempted by it.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think a huge issue is that I didn’t find my satisfaction in God like John Piper says. It hurts me that I obeyed my flesh and turned my back to God because He was not satisfaction enough. I’m

Here's something else John Piper would tell you, I am sure:

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Love Piper.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that by repenting we turn from our sin but this has been a backsliding that has become recurrent (3 times in the past two weeks). I want to turn away from it with all my heart and return back to God but I’m afraid He has given me up to a debased mind because things going on in my life recently.

The fact that you’re distressed by it and want to stop again is proof you’ve not been given over to a debased mind.

The good news is when you sincerely repent each time you fail, God forgives and forgets, and you have a clean slate again.

Read Romans 7 and 8 thoroughly more than once, is my recommendation.

Pastor Robert Morrison says staying in the word 20 minutes per day helps keep you straight spiritually.

God bless.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am at a loss for words... God delivered me from a inappropriate content habit nearly two years ago and I find myself back in inappropriate content for the first time in two years... does this show that I’m not truly saved? Why have I back slid?

There’s no problem if you repent sincerely when you commit a sin - even if you struggle with the same sin for a while.

God forgives it and forgets. You start out with a clean slate each time.

And Satan sometime waits until you’re under stress of some kind, to hit you with temptation over something you’ve gotten victory over.

Stress seems to lower resistance to temptation.

Read Romans 7 and 8, Paul tells us important info concerning struggling with sin.

God bless.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am at a loss for words... God delivered me from a inappropriate content habit nearly two years ago and I find myself back in inappropriate content for the first time in two years... does this show that I’m not truly saved? Why have I back slid?

first. let's look at what 'repent' means (it probably isn't what you've been taught):

(Mat 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
(emphasis added by me)

same verse with Strong's numbers:

(Mat 4:17) FromG575 that timeG5119 JesusG2424 beganG756 to preach,G2784 andG2532 to say,G3004 Repent:G3340 forG1063 theG3588 kingdomG932 of heavenG3772 is at hand.G1448
(emphasis added by me)

Strong's definition of 'Repent' (G3340):

G3340

μετανοέω

metanoeō

met-an-o-eh'-o

From G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction): - repent.

Total KJV occurrences: 34

now from Thayer's:

G3340
μετανοέω
metanoeō
Thayer Definition:
1) to change one’s mind, i.e. to repent
2) to change one’s mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one’s past sins
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3326 and G3539

to repent is to change one's thinking; this produces a change in actions; simply trying to 'stop that sinning' without this change in thinking is not repenting - but you have changed your thinking about this to match God's Word; you have already repented; now you're simply dealing with unnecessary exposure to temptation...

when you slip up and let your hormones get control, and you immediately go to God and receive forgiveness, He remembers that occurrence of sin no more - He isn't keeping a running tally of how many times you've messed up in this or any other area, so follow His lead and stop that - no matter how many times you slip up and receive forgiveness for it, each time you're only dealing with what He sees as a single occurrence - the one you haven't yet received forgiveness for - He made forgiveness available to you over 2000 years ago, before you were even born; but you have to receive that forgiveness by faith when you mess up. when you keep a running tally of how many times you've messed up, you are magnifying the offense instead of magnifying the unlimited mercy and grace that God has for you as a reborn believer, and you're strengthening that temptation:

(1Co 15:56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
(emphasis added by me)

as long as your focus is on the law of performance instead of the law of faith in His Grace, you are strengthening sin and making it harder to resist; so when you mess up, follow Jesse Duplantis' advice: 'admit it, quit it, and forget it (like God forgets it)'.

To God, sin is not the action, it's the heart thinking that produces the action - what we call 'sins' are actually the 'births' of the 'conception' of the one core sin, which is not believing God about something - so focus on what He's done to make you forever clean rather than what you might do to make yourself technically unclean again (as He sees you as you are in Christ, not as you are in the flesh). if you go around thinking 'i will not look at inappropriate content, i will not look at inappropriate content, i will not look at inappropriate content...', then your focus is on inappropriate content, and what you focus on you magnify in your life.

put some 'road blocks' in between you and inappropriate content - set up a parental control that you'll have to take down in order to look at inappropriate content - the time it takes you to take down the control will give you extra time to get your hormones under control. if you have to, when you are tempted to look at inappropriate content, lock your computer in your car trunk - the time it takes to get it out gives you more time to exercise control.

look for triggers - activities that get your hormones going to begin with, such as a 'sexually-oriented' tv show or a place where 'sexually-oriented fashion' is predominant - and avoid exposure to those triggers. set up Godly activities for the times when you're most likely to be tempted to look at inappropriate content, such as reading your Bible or watching a sermon or attending a church service - you can push those thoughts out with God-focused thoughts more easily than you can simply stop thinking about sex when your hormones are raging.

and remember that God has faith in you - that's why He chose you; always agree with Him! :)

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Jesus paid the price for all your sins over 2000 years ago, before you were even born; when you received spiritual rebirth, you gained the right to receive forgiveness every time you mess up - but it is up to you to receive. you haven't 'un-reborn yourself and resurrected your 'pre-born-again spirit of unrighteousness (and you don't have that capability), so your eternal salvation is secure - it isn't based on your performance, it's based on Jesus' performance. so simply receive your forgiveness - don't try to add your self-punishment to what Jesus did on the cross; you can't pay for what's already paid for.

this is from another post in another thread, but i think it will help you too:

when you slip up and let your hormones get control, and you immediately go to God and receive forgiveness, He remembers that occurrence of sin no more - He isn't keeping a running tally of how many times you've messed up in this or any other area, so follow His lead and stop that - no matter how many times you slip up and receive forgiveness for it, you're only dealing with what He sees as a single occurrence - the one you haven't yet received forgiveness for. when you keep a running tally of how many times you've messed up, you are magnifying the offense instead of magnifying the unlimited mercy and grace that God has for you as a reborn believer, and you're strengthening that temptation:

(1Co 15:56) The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

as long as your focus is on the law of performance instead of the law of faith in His Grace, you are strengthening sin and making it harder to resist; so when you mess up, follow Jesse Duplantis' advice: 'admit it, quit it, and forget it (like God forgets it)'.

To God, sin is not the action, it's the heart thinking that produces the action - what we call 'sins' are actually the 'births' of the 'conception' of the one core sin, which is not believing God about something - so focus on what He's done to make you forever clean rather than what you might do to make yourself unclean again. if you go around thinking 'i will not look at inappropriate content, i will not look at inappropriate content, i will not look at inappropriate content...', then your focus is on inappropriate content, and what you focus on you magnify in your life.

put some 'road blocks' in between you and inappropriate content - set up a parental control that you'll have to take down in order to look at inappropriate content - the time it takes you to take down the control will give you extra time to get your hormones under control. if you have to, when you are tempted to look at inappropriate content, lock your computer in your car - the time it takes to get it out gives you more time to exercise control.

look for triggers - activities that get your hormones going to begin with, such as a 'sexually-oriented' tv show or a place where 'sexually-oriented fashion' is predominant - and avoid exposure to those triggers. set up Godly activities for the times when you're most likely to be tempted to look at inappropriate content, such as reading your Bible or watching a sermon or attending a church service - you can push those thoughts out with God-focused thoughts more esily than you can simply stop thinking about sex when your hormones are raging.

Upvote 0