What to do when God has precluded your heart’s desire before you were a believer?

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you do when the circumstances and events of your life made your hearts desire impossible even before you were a believer or even a hearer? What do you do when you could seek the kingdom first for all eternity, but your heart’s desire is already impossible before you even start?

bottoWordx

Aug 27, 2020
northeast
✟19,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you do when the circumstances and events of your life made your hearts desire impossible even before you were a believer or even a hearer? What do you do when you could seek the kingdom first for all eternity, but your heart’s desire is already impossible before you even start?
seek God and holiness apart from sin?
or desiring what opposes God

Jesus took away all sin, as mankind continues carnal sin and flesh, He was already baptized once and crucified once, also resurrected to bring us new life through Him
Amen
now what is the thing man wants, if it is a spiritual desire or yet another fleeting shadow as the day gets close

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes watching other people's testimonies can help boost your motivation. Check out this thread, you can find many testimonies there.

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” - C.S. Lewis

The verse you reference from Psalm 37 says in whole, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give your the desires of your heart."

If this desire REALLY is impossible, then I would say then that this is an issue of your heart. And that desire needs to change. Not all of our hearts' desires are God's will - good for us - or are our destiny in him.

Do you delight yourself in the Lord as the verse says? That comes first. King David said this in Psalm 73, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

I'm 59. I've had desires of my heart that I KNEW were mine and to be mine. But they weren't. I made God a priority in my life - the Bible and more. My desires changed.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

(Psa 37:3) Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
(Psa 37:4) Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
(Psa 37:5) Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

(Psa 37:6) And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
(Psa 37:7) Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
(Psa 37:8) Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

(Psa 37:9) For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
(Psa 37:10) For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
(Psa 37:11) But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

what is impossible to people in flesh bodies is not too hard for the Lord - if the desire is something God has promised, then what you do is "Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him;"

if you do that and don't quit,

"he shall bring it to pass"

Upvote 0

bottoWordx

Aug 27, 2020
northeast
✟19,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you might find the entire thing cut off
or a better equivalent

there's struggles common to man, even being against oneself to get what you desire or one thing and not another
to see how vain it is, or man doesn't understand others or himself
you may find it in God, in self-denial, but man will speak as a man about his own things or as he sees

in God you will find what is beyond a man, so deny yourself but not in vain
does that make sense, but God isn't a puppet to make for your own way, but He is higher and man is subject
man has desires and might not fulfill them apart from God or to serve a purpose other than having and being fulfilled
find it in God, though that may sound vague or abstract

does that make sense yet
if i were old and wise i might have more experience to say but the simple thing that Jesus took all your sin, so learn faith from those who have it
faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of unseen
do not take corruption in yourself, but the original Word that states Jesus was baptized and crucified, taking and paying for all sin, so live for that message as He was resurrected for our new life

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,409.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you do when the circumstances and events of your life made your hearts desire impossible even before you were a believer or even a hearer?

God speaks deeper than any life experience.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think it is important to note that at one point in History "the former things will neither be remembered or mentioned" (Isaiah 65:17)

So whether you will remember this desire is questionable.

Another point is that one of the points of a life in Christ is to seek God to purify our hearts so our desires align with what God does. A good passage for this is Romans 12, and James 4 for extra reading.

A question that comes to mind is, if we call Him Lord, why is it all about us?

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Give up your presumption of how you think things should be and become open to what God intends, trusting that the final outcome will surpass your presumption of what is best. I know this is hard, but it is either be open to God's future or set yourself up for disappointment that could have been avoided if you would have patiently waited with hope.

I know all of that must seem trite, and I do pray you would receive all the good you expect now, but I trust one day all of your sorrows and struggles will come to an end and God, himself, will comfort you. Don't give up.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
King David said this in Psalm 73, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.

King david didn't need to desire it, he was rich and already had it. :)

I have to wonder, would that psalm be worded the same, or there at all, if he were poor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,409.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have to wonder, would that psalm be worded the same, or there at all, if he were poor?

Solomon was rich and He was gifted with great Wisdom...

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,409.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

His desire for God was greater than anything on earth...

• Winner
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess the real question is what do you do when you REALIZE that He cannot give you your heart’s desire because of the circumstances and events that have already happened?
In case it is a wrong desire, this is all you need to know, and be glad it didn't happen. Also, in case it is simply not His will . . . if you trust and obey God, He will give you much better than what you wanted. But you . . . we all . . . need to grow in Jesus to discover all the good God pleases to share with us. We need to mature to handle what is better than we might hope for, now. And enjoy the good things we do have now. It helps to become able to enjoy how others are being blessed with things which we ourselves might not have, and we can even help them benefit from what they have, instead of worrying that we did not get blessed like that > love them as ourselves, by being truly glad God gave them that :)

If it is a good thing . . . or can be good . . . God can surprise you, how He can bring something for you. Often, I have forgotten things which I decided God would not do; then, years later . . . or decades later . . . I would be blessed somehow and then I would hear something like, "This is what you said I would never do with you."

God can change the circumstances which you suppose are dictating things.

In my case, it would not be the circumstances which needed to change, by the way, but I needed to change so I would be ready to benefit . . . and use the blessing for loving various people . . . since God is all-loving. And the circumstances would become poetic with what God has brought to work out.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ok. A) this is getting off topic
B) I guess the real question is what do you do when you REALIZE that He cannot give you your heart’s desire because of the circumstances and events that have already happened?
Something God cannot give, hmmm - Abraham and Sarah were as good as dead when God gave them a son.

Drawing a blank.

Upvote 0