what to do when all your friends drink and party - where do i meet genuine Christians??

JennaPr9

Sep 15, 2017
Are
✟9,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So basically the people I meet at university are unfortunately all into clubbing. It sounds ridiculous to say that all of them do it, but seriously, ALL of them do.

I am in my second year of uni (19 year old female) and I don't have a lot of friends. As a Christian I try my best to hangout with like-minded individuals - innocent people who don't expose themselves to wild parties and drinking, drugs, smoking, sex, etc. But of course, it is sooo so hard to find good genuine humans on campus. (for the record, I have nothing against people who live a different lifestyle than me, by no means am I judging them).

I have tried a few different churches but to be completely blunt, the people my age are weird there lol. Again, I know it sounds ridiculous to say that everyone there is weird, but I just cannot seem to connect with Christians from church. I am a normal gal, with a sense of humour, I'm into fitness and health, I love God, I am kind and genuine. It just seems that these Christians from church are different from me, they laugh at different things and some are really awkward to the point we cannot keep a conversation going. I have stopped going to church all together now because it just feels hopeless to me. I am sick of lack of connection. I just wanna be myself but I can't seem to be when they are so different from me.

Last year I tried to join the university's Christian club, but again, I could not connect with the people there and I stopped going after 2 months. This year I just decided it wasn't worth trying to attend that club again.

I meet a lot of funny, enjoyable people in class but they are all so into immoral things and activities that we just don't have enough in common to hangout. For example, if I wanted to hangout with them, I would have to drink and party... and I know I shouldn't be doing those things.

What should I do?? I don't want to party as I know it is not wise to do so. But I have such a hard time meeting good people. Like, seriously where do I find them?

I'm scared that I am not going to meet any friends (or potential boyfriend) that God has in His will for me because I am not attending church or putting myself around enough Christian people. HELP! Am I ruining my chances of meeting my future husband if I don't surround myself with Christians?? Or will God provide for me and guide me to these Christian people?! What should I do? Thank you:) any responses are appreciated.

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟29,536.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi Jenna,

You are still very young. There will be ample time to meet people you do connect with. My advice would be to be friends with the people you do like but not to partake in anything which makes you uncomfortable. Your years at Uni will soon be over and, when you start work you'll hopefully rub shoulders with more of your kind.

All the best

Reactions: JennaPr9
Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My name is Zack and I'm a christian. When I was a senior in high school just starting in my walk with the Lord I prayed for a christian friend because I didn't have any and after I prayed I had this friend in woodshop class who is a christian. I think you should try praying and if you already are then I'm sure God's will will be done. God bless you and you can always talk to me or anybody here. Jesus is Lord

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should put all your faith in God, for the ones who believe in Jesus, all things work for their good.Don't not be afraid, have faith, your are still very young.You are very wise for listening to God, He will not forsake you, remember, he has the best plan for each one of us, it's up to us to follow Him.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So basically the people I meet at university are unfortunately all into clubbing. It sounds ridiculous to say that all of them do it, but seriously, ALL of them do.

I am in my second year of uni (19 year old female) and I don't have a lot of friends. As a Christian I try my best to hangout with like-minded individuals - innocent people who don't expose themselves to wild parties and drinking, drugs, smoking, sex, etc. But of course, it is sooo so hard to find good genuine humans on campus. (for the record, I have nothing against people who live a different lifestyle than me, by no means am I judging them).

I have tried a few different churches but to be completely blunt, the people my age are weird there lol. Again, I know it sounds ridiculous to say that everyone there is weird, but I just cannot seem to connect with Christians from church. I am a normal gal, with a sense of humour, I'm into fitness and health, I love God, I am kind and genuine. It just seems that these Christians from church are different from me, they laugh at different things and some are really awkward to the point we cannot keep a conversation going. I have stopped going to church all together now because it just feels hopeless to me. I am sick of lack of connection. I just wanna be myself but I can't seem to be when they are so different from me.

Last year I tried to join the university's Christian club, but again, I could not connect with the people there and I stopped going after 2 months. This year I just decided it wasn't worth trying to attend that club again.

I meet a lot of funny, enjoyable people in class but they are all so into immoral things and activities that we just don't have enough in common to hangout. For example, if I wanted to hangout with them, I would have to drink and party... and I know I shouldn't be doing those things.

What should I do?? I don't want to party as I know it is not wise to do so. But I have such a hard time meeting good people. Like, seriously where do I find them?

I'm scared that I am not going to meet any friends (or potential boyfriend) that God has in His will for me because I am not attending church or putting myself around enough Christian people. HELP! Am I ruining my chances of meeting my future husband if I don't surround myself with Christians?? Or will God provide for me and guide me to these Christian people?! What should I do? Thank you:) any responses are appreciated.

Do you belong to a Bible Study group?

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Matthew 10:22
You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Proverbs 18:24
A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Proverbs 12:26
The righteous is a guide to his neighbor, But the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Proverbs 3:32
For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But He is intimate with the upright.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... I just cannot seem to connect with Christians from church ... I tried to join the university's Christian club, but again, I could not connect with the people there ...

This all seems kind of strange. As a complete stranger, I would think that you would have something in common with Christians at the same university.

Maybe you need to understand what's going on here? Is it just that the party crowd seems cooler/more fun to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,875.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Don't worry.

When I was your age, most people in my uni is also drinking and partying. I didn't have any friends nor GF as a result.

Besides, you're too young to even think of marriage.

Trust me, you life will change drastically (huge improvement) once you graduate from uni and building your career in your twenties. You'll start meeting way more eligible Christian bachelors.

There's only two things you can keep doing now... Keep seeking God and study very hard!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Join a Presbyterian church like I did 20 years ago, and after three weeks with them you will be as mad as they are! ^_^^_^

Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My dear sister in Christ, I was young too. I have never attended the university, but I have heard that it's promoting immorality. When I was at High School I had only one friend with whom I used to share the word of God. My friend and I were the same age. We were only 13 years old. We were mocked and teased, because we were different than the rest.
When my friend left to go to a higher degree of education, I was left alone but God was and is with me. So He is with you. Be strong and resist the temptations. Stand up for the true christian values. Present your body a living sacrifice to the Lord, holy and acceptable to the Lord. Don't follow those so-called christians. True christians are known by the way they live. Your are still young. You can have fun, without drinking alcohol, smoking, using drugs or having sex. If you have a strong desire to have a boyfriend ask God in your prayer to send you the right fellow. One of the most value is to have a boyfriend who really love you and respect your love for your Saviour. Of course you have to also suit each other in regard to your characters.

You can also seek a good christian online. But ask God for guidance. Don't be fooled.
I love the good spirit that the Lord have given you. Again, be strong, courageous and don't fear those ungodly so-called christians. Be the light of the world and the salt of the earth as God's word said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have tried a few different churches but to be completely blunt, the people my age are weird there lol.
First of all, I highly commend you for wanting to avoid The Scene. I wish I had a tenth of your wisdom at that age.

Maybe, though, you should consider casting a wider net. Maybe instead of focusing on your age group, you could seek out a slightly older set of women and get involved with them in ministry at the church, like to the kids, or in outreach to the community, like maybe the homeless, etc. There might be a Paul-Timothy relationship waiting there for you that could be pure gold. If the people your age are kind of unrelatable, don't try to force yourself into a mold that doesn't fit you. If it ain't happening, it ain't happening.

The main thing is spiritual growth. That is supposed to be what church is all about. If you can find a good youth group, awesome. But if not, maybe you belong in a more mature setting where you can grow.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟496.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 10:22 NIV
You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

God already judged them, do you agree with His assessment of people who live contrary to His standards?
And that believers are to be his ambassadors and be light in dark places?

What be so different about them? like what are they laughing at that you don't?
What do you like and or enjoy with those that you be around at college who ain't believers?

You stopped going to church...why? That's where you fellowship with believers, worship God, learn HIs Word, encourage one another, take part in communion etc.

What you describing is the first things of backsliding...yeah it's an old word but backsliding be what's happening.

Have ever witnessed to any of them?

Most of my neighbors ain't believers but I'm not doing the things they do and we
still enjoy one another. I talked to them about God and answer whatever questions they ask.

Why do you believe you'd have to drink, party and act immoral just to be friends?
Did they tell you that you had to do that?

I don't go clubbing, get drunk or be immoral to be a friend to someone unsaved.
If someone don't want a true friend, they can go on they merry way.
There others who do want a true friend and it won't be long before you and them meet. This I have known since my childhood on up until now and I'm in my fifties. I have friends who are twenty-thing to over ninety years of age, some be believers and some be unbelievers.

You be a sincere godly young lady and others, even non-believers will appreciate
someone who is genuine.
When I was going through a rough patch, my unsaved neighbors pitched in to help me out as did the christians.

No one good but the Lord.
All the rest of us still miss the mark...we give in to the flesh and sin...have to repent of that. We walk humbly with God knowing we need Him, so we can
make it in this life.

what to do... Repent of backsliding, get in and stay in koinonia with other believers/ maintain christian associations...attend church regularly.
Talk to a counselor about socialization and communication problems.
Also, join a bible study group ...participate in it.
Be faithful to pray.
Stay humble and lean on Jesus each day.
Agape people like Jesus did when he walked on the earth.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What are the rules of engagement to a Jenna? Who taught you these rules, think on that with God and more than like one will find judgment on what is weird to Jenna. There is no judgment in love.

How does a Christian look cool to a Jenna? It is written above by other members the world will hate and/or judge us weird (as you do in OP :hug:). We are all taught by someone, yet, that someone was taught too. In your season, when it is realized to perfect love, we have to start over as a child with God as the teacher (Not mom , dad and preacher) to self. As it is written here... Romans 12:2 .

Think on these two terms with God... Sincere Ignorance. Those apply to us that have parents, friends etc... we love more than God. One of those says talking to self is weird and we believe it whole heartedly . What is praying to God to a person of the world? Talking to self, right? It is written a tongue is a gift of God yet nobody wants it that is trying to be cool, right? Cant sit in uni jibbering to self . Got more to tell if this post interests any...

• Friendly
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Join a Presbyterian church like I did 20 years ago, and after three weeks with them you will be as mad as they are! ^_^^_^

Haha, I love your sense of humor ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

....christianmingle.com. :oldthumbsup: Or, something like that. Also, try churches of different denominations and see if the 'weirdness' factor is any different.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I found Christ in college. I was in a fraternity at the time where lots and lots and lots of drinking, drugging, gross sexual immorality, and just perversion in general take place... in fact, the ''party'' scene in fraternities is much worse than anywhere else. However, when I found Christ, I immediately dropped my party friends from the fraternity and started going to Christian groups on campus. I immediately became on fire for Jesus and was highly involved in like 5 different campus ministries. Every university has multiple Christian clubs... the school I went to had like over 20 different Christian groups. I met so many cool Christian people at my college, it was the best time of my life... we were always doing fun and sober activities on campus, going on retreats and campouts, going to church together, hanging out at eachothers dorms, eating together at the lunch-hall... 100x more fun than partying and being in my fraternity because I was learning about God and I was surrounded by really good people, it was comforting to my soul.

I don't mean to sound snobby, but most people in your school, and in society, are going to pretty much always be into immoral stuff. It's taken me a long time to learn and accept that. Even people that seem soooo nice and friendly can/will lead you astray. You will practically never meet someone that is ''good company'' out in society... that's why God has called us to be a light to others, because the world is a dark place. Let God lead you to the real Christian folks, they are out there, I found them at my university and so can you. Go to the ''campus clubs'' section on your schools website and there should be a bunch of Christian clubs on there

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Haha, I love your sense of humor ^_^
My wife has a Catholic background which has greatly helped my understanding of it. However, when she cusses at a villain when she watches a TV soap, I tell her that St Pius wouldn't approve of that! She turns and gives me that knowing look! :holy:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is there another campus ministry that you can attend?

After my first visit, I almost didn't go back to the one I ended up going to for years. But a friendly individual from there reached out, and they kept offering their free lunches, and a classmate of mine ended up going there on her own, and I ended up staying. The guy that reached out to me became one of my closest friends.

Once that had been established, I didn't really have time or desire to go to the bars, we were all busy enough doing our own thing and having fun. I recommend that every Christian who studies at a secular college or university get involved with a campus ministry, it's a good time and it can keep you out of trouble.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Totally with you there. Celebrating is fine, if there is a reason to do so. But, there is never a good reason to sleep around. Not for men, not for women.

Check out various churches in the city or town your college is at is my suggestion. Try and find one which is not funky and cultic or shady.

Upvote 0